#21 DAYLEET

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:32 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 21 August 2017 - 02:03 AM, said:

Dammmit, the upcoming event is totally one I want to participate.

But, my pc died (or fails to boot). Now I need to find a sufficiently skiled store/service figuring out which component is broken and replacing it. However something tells me that won't happen in time. q.q

Stores tend to put you on a list. If you dont have spare hardware to do your own debuging(or a friend who can help) you can look through the papers for people advertising pc repairs at home. You make it clear what you need on the phone obviously, which is to know which part is dead. I wouldnt buy second hand from them unless you know your hardware and know what you are getting.

#22 Chuck B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 253 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 02:21 AM

I would give it an 80% of being a psu issue.

#23 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 22 August 2017 - 02:38 AM

View PostDAYLEET, on 22 August 2017 - 01:32 AM, said:

Stores tend to put you on a list. If you dont have spare hardware to do your own debuging(or a friend who can help) you can look through the papers for people advertising pc repairs at home. You make it clear what you need on the phone obviously, which is to know which part is dead. I wouldnt buy second hand from them unless you know your hardware and know what you are getting.

I don't intent to buy anything they just shall check it so I know whats broken. I can buy the replacement on my own.

Edited by Lily from animove, 22 August 2017 - 02:38 AM.

#24 Roadbuster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,437 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 22 August 2017 - 03:12 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 21 August 2017 - 03:16 AM, said:

I wiggled a load, on everything.

It is either the cause causing issues, the PSU or the MOBO. The sytsem starts runnign the fans then shuts down (before even the peep comes) then repeats that. But I have no spare PSU (that dying was the cause for the last PC beeing gone) and now I need someone checking which component is the one causing the issue.

I put a new bios battery in, also tried resetting the bios, changed both ram bars to see if that could cause the issue. Also, took out the GPU (board has a built in one). That lowers the possibilities of causes.

Sounds like PSU issue.

Mainboard could be a cause too, but if you can't find any obvious damage, like a broken solder point or a leaking capacitator, I doubt it.

Get a new PSU. You will need it sooner or later anyway.
Of all the PCs I've built in the past 15 years I've only had 2 mainboards and 3HDDs die, but 8 PSUs, never a GFX card or RAM or another component.
PSU is one of the components many people don't care about. Don't get the cheapest crap you can find. A good PSU is as important as a good mainboard.

#25 Clownwarlord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 22 August 2017 - 03:17 AM

This event is pretty great. Plenty of time for players to grind out the requirements to get the rewards, and the requirements are not something crazy that will wreck team play to achieve. Example get 10k match score ... well generally when you play well for a team you get a good match score.

#26 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 04:24 AM

View PostRoadbuster, on 22 August 2017 - 03:12 AM, said:

Sounds like PSU issue.

Mainboard could be a cause too, but if you can't find any obvious damage, like a broken solder point or a leaking capacitator, I doubt it.

Get a new PSU. You will need it sooner or later anyway.
Of all the PCs I've built in the past 15 years I've only had 2 mainboards and 3HDDs die, but 8 PSUs, never a GFX card or RAM or another component.
PSU is one of the components many people don't care about. Don't get the cheapest crap you can find. A good PSU is as important as a good mainboard.

I got https://www.techpowe...r/RM1000/2.html simply because I wanted the system under idle work to run more silent with the passive mode.

View PostClownwarlord, on 22 August 2017 - 03:17 AM, said:

This event is pretty great. Plenty of time for players to grind out the requirements to get the rewards, and the requirements are not something crazy that will wreck team play to achieve. Example get 10k match score ... well generally when you play well for a team you get a good match score.

I know but only if you can play at all Posted Image

Also in my past 19 years I only had one dead ond delivery Mainboard and a broken PSU. All the other replacements were made because of outdated hardware. Strangely my P2 with 233MHZ still runs fine. So I kinda start losing trust in general quality. But then i only had 4 PC's at all, because I am a bit lazy to regulary buy new stuff. But the current system is "only" 3 years old. Giving that "broken already" quite a bitter taste.

Edited by Lily from animove, 22 August 2017 - 11:11 PM.

#27 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 05:13 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 22 August 2017 - 01:14 AM, said:

where do you live? maybe move out of the wasteland into civilisation. Quite a few buddies from the US just live in yeas where stuff feels like untouched wild. However lag and connectivity issues could also be router problems. Some ISP's just provide very bad routers causing these issues as well. I had that like 12 years ago but never again after moving and having another provider.

- Not in the wasteland, I am in a borough of New York City.
- Router not provided by ISP and it is fine.

No this is connections in between shown by tracerts, went over it with PGI and now Spectrum. Even have a topic on it.

First the NA server had problems in June, tracerts showed the Canadian section near the server going out.
Then this month all 3 connections went fritzy.
Both NA and EU connections were changed by someone, maybe Spectrum, and now go through this location in Newark that keeps going out.
The NA connection also still has the Canada outage.
The EU connection also has an outage between NYC and France.
The OC connection has an outage a few hops before the server, cannot tell where it is.

Since Time Warner Cable became part of Spectrum, they seem to be making new business deals that means changing connection routes. I got tracerts showing my working path in May is different than what it is now. Changing business deals and paths gave me a worse path to all servers.

Edited by Wildstreak, 22 August 2017 - 05:14 AM.

#28 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:57 PM

And generally when I have had a PSU die was not the entire PSU, simply one line/rail. For one system I had two PSU hooked up to it that had only one rail not working but not the same rail. Worked until I got in my new PSU :)

Do you have access to a voltmeter or multimeter?

#29 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,966 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 22 August 2017 - 03:28 PM

I took my pwr supply to my local Altex electronics (had a lightning strike) and they tested it for me
so maybe call the local electronic supply stores and ask if they can test computer pwr supplies

last time I replaced my computer pwr supply it cost me $36

#30 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 11:17 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 22 August 2017 - 01:57 PM, said:

Do you have access to a voltmeter or multimeter?

No I don't

#31 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 07:28 AM

Well, they just called me and told me the CPU is dead and that they couldn't test the board because they don't have another fitting CPU.

so now I can buy a CPU replacement for 220€ with a still possible board issue, or buy Board, CPU and ram for around 500€

DAYM

#32 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 25 August 2017 - 02:43 PM

I have a question. Do you know how they tested the CPU to determine it was bad? If placed in another motherboard, are they sure that test motherboard was actually working since if they said they did not have a CPU to test your motherboard?

Did they test the GPU and PSU and Ram?

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 26 August 2017 - 05:56 PM.

#33 Roadbuster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,437 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 26 August 2017 - 12:10 AM

CPU?

Did you run it with a serious overclock?
Out of all components, the CPU is usually one of the most resilient parts.

As Tarl Cabot said. It would be interesting to know how they tested that.

Would be great if you could keep us updated.

#34 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 26 August 2017 - 08:14 PM

View PostRoadbuster, on 26 August 2017 - 12:10 AM, said:

CPU?

I would not be surprised if it was a case of the thermal paste going bad. I've burnt a CPU up before despite having the right amount of paste due to it being a bad batch.

That's assuming his CPU really did kick the bucket.

#35 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 26 August 2017 - 09:02 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 26 August 2017 - 08:14 PM, said:

I would not be surprised if it was a case of the thermal paste going bad. I've burnt a CPU up before despite having the right amount of paste due to it being a bad batch.

That's assuming his CPU really did kick the bucket.

This is most likely the case; Motherboard would die first before the CPU ever did if it did get too hot; I recently got back my rig, they saying the motherboard and Hard Drive went bad, mostly due to heat which warped them. (It's a gaming laptop, I know, Taboo, but handy for wherever I sit inside the house)

#36 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 03:24 AM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 25 August 2017 - 02:43 PM, said:

I have a question. Do you know how they tested the CPU to determine it was bad? If placed in another motherboard, are they sure that test motherboard was actually working since if they said they did not have a CPU to test your motherboard?

Did they test the GPU and PSU and Ram?

yes they placed it in other boards. (it's actually easier to find a fitting board than having a spare CPU for the same socket).

CPU?

the old one was a i74790k (forgot that stupid number) and yes it was overclocked to 4,4GHZ (from 4GHZ) as the board supported this by default. So that could have been the reason. But temperatucoolermaster storm stryker tower. The thermal paste was one with very good thermal conductivity and I change it quite regulary. So the CPU may just have died. But the new i7700k is at 4.2GHZ so it doesn't needs any overclocking. (ok the old one didn't really needed it it too, but sicne the K series is made for overclocking I thought it couldn't be too bad- looks it still was). Now all I cna do is waiting for the parts and assemble it.

#37 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 12:48 AM

CPU?

oh before I totally forget the topic.

I have bought a new board, (MSi z270 pro), i7 7700k and DDR4. So the system is up again with some newer hardware.

#38 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 25 September 2017 - 02:10 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 21 August 2017 - 03:16 AM, said:

I wiggled a load, on everything.

It is either the cause causing issues, the PSU or the MOBO. The sytsem starts runnign the fans then shuts down (before even the peep comes) then repeats that. But I have no spare PSU (that dying was the cause for the last PC beeing gone) and now I need someone checking which component is the one causing the issue.

I put a new bios battery in, also tried resetting the bios, changed both ram bars to see if that could cause the issue. Also, took out the GPU (board has a built in one). That lowers the possibilities of causes.

Try just one stick of ram also.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users