Punishing Long Afk People

36 replies to this topic

#21 metallio

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 196 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:24 AM

I think you're missing the point.

If you're seeing 1-2 people doing this every match, then that means something like 10% of EVERY DROP has a reason they're not moving immediately. Maybe you're not thinking about it this way, but for that to occur it means that the vast majority of players consider there to be perfectly good reasons to not be moving when the match starts. Some have been mentioned here, and many are simply outside the control of the player completely.

MWO regularly crashes my video driver on both computers I own. Nothing else does. I already get dinged for "leaving the match before I die" which p!sses me off enough but now you want me to also spend ten minutes waiting for a match besides?

I'm sorry, but if your biggest concern about the community in this game is "doesn't start on time" I don't have an immense amount of sympathy. Broken implementation of video, toxic NOOB callers, cursing at people when they don't do what you want them to do when you're not even communicating, etc.

If you're so serious about gaming, maybe you should play something other than the random play version of an online free-to-play game with squat for a matchmaker and a tiny active community. We have reasons for being afk. If that's not good enough for you, find something else to do with YOUR time. FFS the only thing that even exists in this game is the grind. Grind, grind, grind, grind. There's literally nothing else other than the instantaneous FPS CoD style game and they DO take a while to put together. That means you play back-to-back games, you don't just fire this thing up and play one round and quit. You play...then you play some more...until your eyes bleed.

This means that most people will occasionally have something come up that gets in the way of the nth round of the game that doesn't mean a damn thing in the scheme of things and they could care less about it next to the other ten rounds they'll be playing of "one side stomps the crap out of the other". If you care enough to even make this post, I feel for you.

...but no, I wouldn't support any action taken against AFK'ers. The game dynamic already sucks enough.

#22 KursedVixen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 3,241 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:26 AM

it takes too long to get back into a game with all the damn popups first I load in and i get the announcment popup then When I DO click to rejoin I have to AGAIN click a diffrent button, all the delays to rejoining need to be removed before ANYTHing like this should EVER be implemented.

not to mention i keep getting some damn popups that wont' go away and block CRITICAL information.

http://i.imgur.com/2gsHnSv.png

Edited by KursedVixen, 23 August 2017 - 11:28 AM.

#23 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:27 AM

Really 1 min penalty for every 10sec past the first min?

lol

#24 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,095 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 02:16 PM

View PostAntares102, on 23 August 2017 - 07:23 AM, said:

Then cancel match making.. whats the problem?
As soon as you are getting away from the PC cancel match making.
It takes 1 click to cancel a match.

murphy's law dictates that you will be called away the very second the game locks you into a match.

#25 InfinityBall

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 405 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 02:17 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 23 August 2017 - 02:16 PM, said:

murphy's law dictates that you will be called away the very second the game locks you into a match.

Haven't had it happen yet.

Nobody loves me :(

#26 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,095 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 02:27 PM

i afked the other day because i had to go get the cat. was supposed to be a 2 second job, she usually doesnt go too far from the house and comes when called. only this time she was chased off by another cat. found her at the end of the block. missed the first wave of the fp match i was playing. **** happens.

Edited by LordNothing, 23 August 2017 - 02:27 PM.

#27 InfinityBall

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 405 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 03:22 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 23 August 2017 - 02:27 PM, said:

i afked the other day because i had to go get the cat. was supposed to be a 2 second job, she usually doesnt go too far from the house and comes when called. only this time she was chased off by another cat. found her at the end of the block. missed the first wave of the fp match i was playing. **** happens.

And you should be punished for that

#28 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 23 August 2017 - 03:28 PM

View PostHGAK47, on 23 August 2017 - 07:20 AM, said:

Just to play devils advocate here - there are times when you are queued up for a battle and then your family, friends ask you for something, the door rings, the phone rings, you need to use the toilet.

There are a multitude of legit reasons why someone may need to leave the computer.

then this means mwo community has an intense social life, or pooping a lot, because afkers happen EVERY F. MATCH!

#29 Carl Vickers

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 23 August 2017 - 03:32 PM

View PostInfinityBall, on 23 August 2017 - 03:22 PM, said:

He prolly was, he missed extra space bucks cause he wasnt there for the farm and he potentially was on the loosing team. Real world stuff happens, perhaps if some of you werent basement vampires you would know there was sunlight out there to get some color in your skin.

#30 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,095 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:03 PM

View PostInfinityBall, on 23 August 2017 - 03:22 PM, said:

why? we won the game.

#31 jaytar

• PipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 51 posts
  • Locationarkansas

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:33 PM

it's just a game dude, you need to lighten up.

#32 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 August 2017 - 05:03 PM

sorry but real life happens and in times we cannot predict. Your enjoyment of the game should not depend on others. You either enjoy the game or you don't, everything does not depend on you..

Edited by Coolant, 23 August 2017 - 05:04 PM.

#33 evilauthor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 519 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 05:14 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 23 August 2017 - 02:16 PM, said:

No. Murphy's Law dictates you will be called away just as the match starts while your mech is still dropping, preferably after an agonizingly long wait on the loading screen for additional wasting of your time.

It's actually happened to me a couple times.

#34 Wil McCullough

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 06:08 PM

View Postjaytar, on 23 August 2017 - 04:33 PM, said:

it's just a game dude, you need to lighten up.

Cuts both ways.

OP is asking for a penalty timer for afks. Why not? After all, there's something else the afk should be doing, no? Like lordnothing looking after his cat for example. It was important enough to warrant skipping a whole fp wave.

Why are people against the idea? Just take the time out to do (or finish) what you afked for in the first place.

No need to get salty over it. It's just a game. You need to lighten up.

Edited by Wil McCullough, 23 August 2017 - 08:16 PM.

#35 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:19 PM

im for a Banned Time by to many Reports for AFK Players ...>7 Matchs reported in a Week=1 Week MWO Ban...same by Teamkills...3 Match reported by Day =Ban for the next 3 Days
its giving many antisocial Peoples in the Game ...1-3 Minutes no prblem ...once im have in 4 Matchs the same Guy thats stand behind ...in the 4th Match im called him to move his A** to the Front ..and the Guy killed me with 2 Alphas in the Back= 11 Reports from the Team

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 23 August 2017 - 08:34 PM.

#36 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,558 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 August 2017 - 03:40 PM

Fix matchmaking times and I won't be AFK for five minutes gone off while waiting for a match. =3

#37 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 03:46 PM

View PostCatalina Steiner, on 23 August 2017 - 10:19 AM, said:

As someone who takes gaming seriously, I like this idea.
If I don't have 15 minutes time to have a quick play match / 30 minutes to have a FP match, I don't play.

More realistic
QP: 7-10m
FP: 15-20m

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users