- - - - -

Got A Problem With Menus

7 replies to this topic

#1 Vivianite

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 06:34 PM

Has anyone used keytweaker to remap, say caps-lock to scroll lock for their own usage? I seem to have provoked some bug that i cannot find a fix outside of reverting the re-mapped key.

when navigating through menus that have a "back" button, pressing this key twice in a short time-frame acts like I hit escape twice. like viewing your selection of 'mechs and getting taken back to whatever hub menu you left yourself on.

I would like to avoid having to remap the key as i use it for third party voice comms and overall avoidance of caps-locking. Has anyone ran into this?

#2 Larry Frank

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 12:47 PM

I've never required a third party program, to remap keys, and never a problem just remapping the keys in game.

I do have a problem getting the key highlighted, to assign a key, the dbl click quick to open it, that has been my only issue, takes me multiple tries sometimes

not sure if this helps you, but I have my push to talk button assigned to a Mouse button, but I do have a multi-button mouse.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 12:56 PM

Remapping the keys in game is a pain in the *** due to how fast you must double click to get the game to register that you want to make a change.

#4 Buenaventura

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 544 posts
  • LocationDuisburg, Germany

Posted 26 August 2017 - 05:42 PM

View PostKoniving, on 26 August 2017 - 12:56 PM, said:

Remapping the keys in game is a pain in the *** due to how fast you must double click to get the game to register that you want to make a change.

Ah, so this isn't a problem on my end.
Imho devs should find some time to fix those little issues, so less players have the stupid idea that they aren't playing their own game. Posted Image

#5 Tier5 Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 11:14 PM

Wow that's funny. I was able to reproduce that, and the way it works, is pretty darn funny.

But, there is also an easy sollution.

Don't use esc key.

#6 D V Devnull

• 4,295 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 01:32 AM

View PostVivianite, on 23 August 2017 - 06:34 PM, said:

Has anyone used keytweaker to remap, say caps-lock to scroll lock for their own usage? I seem to have provoked some bug that i cannot find a fix outside of reverting the re-mapped key.

when navigating through menus that have a "back" button, pressing this key twice in a short time-frame acts like I hit escape twice. like viewing your selection of 'mechs and getting taken back to whatever hub menu you left yourself on.

I would like to avoid having to remap the key as i use it for third party voice comms and overall avoidance of caps-locking. Has anyone ran into this?

Vivianite, first off, you have my apologies for not getting to this thread sooner. It seems I'm really the first to recognize the issue you're having. :(

Second off, MWO has a nasty built-in Bug. If the 'Caps Lock' key is used in ANY manner other than for MWO's own 'In-Game VoIP' and/or 'In-Game Chat', it triggers the equivalent of an 'Escape' key press. This bug is unavoidable, and has been present longer than I have been playing MWO. Due to that nasty Bug, ALL key remapping programs, ALL other Chat/VoIP programs, ALL Macro software, and ALL your Mouse/Keyboard software absolutely MUST keep their hands off the 'Caps Lock' key while MWO is running. It doesn't matter what you do, MWO is temperamental about the 'Caps Lock' key, and gives you NO choice but to leave MWO's own 'In-Game VoIP' linked to Caps Lock, as stupid things start happening when you try to give anything else that key. Frankly, I wish PGI would fix this, but being as they NEVER have, we can't even hope they would ever do so. Even worse, the danged MWO Game Client gets buggy if you bother using 'Alt+Tab', so you have to press 'Right Alt+Enter' to leave Full Screen, then 'Escape', then click the Mouse outside the window before you can do anything other. -_-

~Mr. D. V. "Sorry to leave you without options, but its' PGI's fault, not mine!" Devnull

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 04:43 AM

View PostBuenaventura, on 26 August 2017 - 05:42 PM, said:

Ah, so this isn't a problem on my end.
Imho devs should find some time to fix those little issues, so less players have the stupid idea that they aren't playing their own game. Posted Image

Complained for 5 years. They aren't able to reproduce it. So I think it has something to do with the double click settings on our computers.

#8 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 01:11 PM

View PostD V Devnull, on 27 August 2017 - 01:32 AM, said:

Vivianite, first off, you have my apologies for not getting to this thread sooner. It seems I'm really the first to recognize the issue you're having. Posted Image

Second off, MWO has a nasty built-in Bug. If the 'Caps Lock' key is used in ANY manner other than for MWO's own 'In-Game VoIP' and/or 'In-Game Chat', it triggers the equivalent of an 'Escape' key press. This bug is unavoidable, and has been present longer than I have been playing MWO. Due to that nasty Bug, ALL key remapping programs, ALL other Chat/VoIP programs, ALL Macro software, and ALL your Mouse/Keyboard software absolutely MUST keep their hands off the 'Caps Lock' key while MWO is running. It doesn't matter what you do, MWO is temperamental about the 'Caps Lock' key, and gives you NO choice but to leave MWO's own 'In-Game VoIP' linked to Caps Lock, as stupid things start happening when you try to give anything else that key. Frankly, I wish PGI would fix this, but being as they NEVER have, we can't even hope they would ever do so. Even worse, the danged MWO Game Client gets buggy if you bother using 'Alt+Tab', so you have to press 'Right Alt+Enter' to leave Full Screen, then 'Escape', then click the Mouse outside the window before you can do anything other. Posted Image

~Mr. D. V. "Sorry to leave you without options, but its' PGI's fault, not mine!" Devnull

That's not entirely what I observed.

I don't have the caps lock reassigned, although ingame I have in unassigned as I don't have mic anyway.

What I observed, is when you have a menu or window open, which can be closed/exited by esc, if you press the caps lock, then release it slow, then press it again and release it slow, it will REPEAT the esc you previously pressed.

Which is really funny when you try to think what kind of code is doing that. It has to be really bizarre code. You can also invoke it by really hard pressing the caps lock over and over. Pressing and pressing it repeatetly at normal rate won't do it.

Now let me stress out. Pressing the caps lock at the way I desribed, will not cause esc to be pressed. It will only cause esc to be repeated.

You can test it. Open settings menu, it can be exited by esc. Exit by pressing esc. Open it again, then press the caps lock twice as described. It should close the settings menu. Open the settings menu again, and press anything else, like A letter. Then press the caps locks as desribed. Now notice it no longer closes anything. Because it no longer has that esc to REPEAT. It might repeat pressing of A but since that does nothing on menu, nothing happens.

Therefore you can avoid any accidental closing of window by not using the esc key.

I haven't tested ingame if pressing caps like like described, would cause repeating of previously pressed key, but it just might.

Okay I tried ingame too. So I don't have caps lock assigned to anything. I pressed heat vision on, then tried to press caps lock several times slowly keeping it down, to deactive it. Nothing happened. So I couldn't invoke this ingame, just on main menu.

Edited by Teer Kerensky, 27 August 2017 - 01:23 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users