58 replies to this topic

#41 InfinityBall

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 405 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 11:53 AM

View PostBigbacon, on 24 August 2017 - 07:22 AM, said:

now go play a light that doesn't have ECM and see how you do.

Go try playing a Firestarter now...see how well you do.

Think I just did 1400 damage over my last two games with my ECMless urbie.

Lights are fine as long as you don't try to fight people without the cover of landscape or bigger, scarier mechs

#42 InfinityBall

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 405 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 12:04 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 24 August 2017 - 09:07 AM, said:

The difference is with an XL you can be better than an ACH by just having more firepower (whether it be a larger alpha or more sustained damage).

Just looking at an energy ACH vs that, for 5 more tons at the same speed you can get 5xMPL+1ERML for 35 damage vs 4 CMPL for 28, but with ECM

wouldn't say that's strictly better, but certainly defensible

#43 KursedVixen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 3,241 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 24 August 2017 - 12:09 PM

MLX-G swarm, nuff said.

The problem with the energy Cheetah is HEAT!!!!!!!!

2 small lasers on the ach- e will never get your heat over the top ,but try 6... yeah a lot hotter.

Edited by KursedVixen, 24 August 2017 - 12:11 PM.

#44 poltergoost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 123 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:27 PM

I find playing assaults extremely hard. Because my instincts are to flank, take snap shots, and use speed to get out of tough situations. In assaults I always get isolated and cut to pieces.

I'm sure people whose instincts are to stay tightly grouped, face down and intimidate enemies, trade shot for shot etc have problems in lights.

All depends on whatever peoples preferred playstyle is.

Edited by poltergoost, 24 August 2017 - 01:38 PM.

#45 Nameless King

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The King
  • The King
  • 692 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:06 PM

It is not hard to play a light or any class for that matter.

#46 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:22 PM

Speed and/ or weaker armor. Thats why its one of two "advanced/ expert" mech classes to pilot as. The other being Assault. Which have low speed and/ or have slow torso-turning speed.

Medium and Heavy are more balanced regarding the aspects of mechs. Mediums have more speed and agility thant heavies, yet the heavies have more armor and firepower than mediums. Not much performance distance between those two than with the other classes.

#47 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:26 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 24 August 2017 - 11:27 AM, said:

That still means you are potentially doing scratch damage. IDK, I find PPCs/Gauss much more reliable than lasers when it comes to dealing with lights.

oh yes, gauss/ppc are the best weapons without any doubt vs lights

(lights whiners, imo, cannot do it)

Edited by Stefka Kerensky, 24 August 2017 - 02:30 PM.

#48 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,558 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:47 PM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 24 August 2017 - 11:06 AM, said:

Lasers have a duration, so you can see how much u must lead the target to do dmg, that's why imo they are easier.
Dunno, it seems to me that light op whiners, are just whiners who cannot aim.

About a year ago, maybe more, I ran a test in private lobby. Me (40ms ping) shooting my buddy (350ms ping) while we were both in jenners, so I could follow him abreast and check his hitboxes while we moved. The amount of lag there was was very minuscule, approximately the equivalent width of a Locusts missile ears, or maybe between that and the width of a jenners missile ears. I was surprised how close it was, I thought for sure I'd find a greater disparity. But HSR works pretty well.

#49 A Really Old Clan Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 302 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 03:02 PM

A good light pilot is worth their weight in gold.
They know when to spot, when to poke and often time it right to get into the brawl to either get quick back shots or disrupt the other team by having them all chase them while the rest of the team cuts them up.

Bad light pilots= runs straight across the map. gets LRM'd or focused fired by fresh mechs, gets into a brawl with multiple mechs long before the rest of the team arrives. result down a mech which means they have one extra light pilot now compared to us with next to no damage done.

#50 Spr1ggan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 August 2017 - 03:28 PM

View PostKing Alen, on 24 August 2017 - 02:06 PM, said:

It is not hard to play a light or any class for that matter.

That's dependant on who's using the mech. Otherwise the leaderboards wouldn't be loaded with sub 1 k/d's and other abysmal stats.

#51 roboPrancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bushido
  • The Bushido
  • 269 posts
  • LocationEh?

Posted 24 August 2017 - 03:29 PM

Lights are easier in the sense that they have the speed to get out of dodge if they make a mistake. They can also play lone wolf much more effectively, flanking etc without fear of return fire. Compared to the, take one wrong turn and die, gameplay style of heavies and assaults, I can see why someone would think lights are easier to play.

#52 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,790 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 24 August 2017 - 03:31 PM

View PostInfinityBall, on 24 August 2017 - 12:04 PM, said:

Just looking at an energy ACH vs that, for 5 more tons at the same speed you can get 5xMPL+1ERML for 35 damage vs 4 CMPL for 28, but with ECM

wouldn't say that's strictly better, but certainly defensible

That's a bad comparison, most Firestarters and Wolfhounds are running 6-7 iERMLs (same alpha, but different reach) not cMPLs (because the extra range is worth the heat) and the FS9-S and WLF-2 have 10% heat gen quirks on top of that. ECM is nice but not as big of a deal.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 24 August 2017 - 03:32 PM.

#53 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 24 August 2017 - 04:21 PM

View PostCoolant, on 24 August 2017 - 07:28 AM, said:

I always wonder if those that complain that playing lights are hard have ever played MW4:Mercs?

Please, go try Mercs and see that lights have it easy in MWO.

Its really easy to play the scout hover tanks in this old game i play(battlezone), you are fast, you shoot fast and can just be a pest to most slow movers (which is a lot of the other stuff)

pfff MWO lights have it so easy....GOSH!

I play lights in this game too as well as those other ones. Its never been THAT easy honestly.

#54 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 24 August 2017 - 04:28 PM

I like how we continue to see the reemergence of the "I can't aim" thread.

Apparently using the auto-aim weapons (aka Streaks) is becoming too hard?

The thing of the matter is, the less competent your opponents are, the more effective Lights happen to be. Once people gain the actual ability to aim (like with actual skills), you become cannon fodder when you are reckless. This and the target's battlefield awareness (whether by actual skill or artificial means like Seismic) makes a huge difference in a Light's effectiveness.

Edited by Deathlike, 24 August 2017 - 04:36 PM.

#55 Trenchbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 05:10 PM

Case in point, I keep seeing multi-MG Arctic Cheetahs getting overconfident and trying to take on my Catapult (And normally near-crippling me, to be honest, but I'm normally not doing too hot by that point anyways health-wise), only to immediately get set upon by an assault or something and crippled, then killed.

I understand that someone may not always be knowledgeable of the battle-line, but still.

#56 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 24 August 2017 - 05:25 PM

The only real two problems I have as a light pilot is that I love is xl for max speed and damage on the locusts and I can't seem to use any of the clan lights excluding the ach very well. I used the 2c jenners but they also have the is ct problem. going from is xl locust to even just a trial ach is god mode activated. clans need a ach level fast light, so many of them only go 97-ish unless you max out mobility for speed tweak.

Most is lights have to give up weight for bigger engines and gimp their damage output. Lfe works on some just that I haven't tried it on many builds. Once you get use to and run locusts heavily everything else seems to be slow or not moving at all. I'm still rocking the gtx 660 so If I were to use a newer card that would make things really change in my sense of speed. It gets 34-41 fps before all the missiles/guass/ppcs then in a hair ball it can drop to 15-20s.

Even with all the new tech the old maxim for lights still rules. Speed is life.

#57 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 05:31 PM

Lights are pretty easy to use in quickplay since most players you go up against aren't running frontloaded damage builds, can't aim well, aren't very aware of what's going on, and a variety of other reasons. Due to that running a light is exceptionally easy if you know what you are doing. If you equip ECM you'll almost never be seen and can reveal yourself to some short range enemies to get them to chase you and leave their front lines so your team can roll them over.

The only time lights are really bad is when you're going against high level opponents that you'll mostly only see in comp, in a few groups in the group queue, and the occasional puggernaut rolling out to farm.

Lights are based around speed and dodging, so they just rely entirely on the inaccuracy or incompetence of their opponent, that or relying on their team to distract for them so they can sandwich an enemy so that they'll die to rear armor damage no matter what they do before they put out much damage. The higher you go up in team coordination and player accuracy the less effective lights get.

If we do balance lights from a top down perspective assuming that everyone is able to rip the CT out of a cheetah at 600m with dual gauss then lights really would be incredibly OP in the lower tiers where people can barely graze over them with an ERLL, much less lead with a gauss rifle. Its a similar situation to LRMs where high tier players always dodge while low tier players with lower engine ratings than acceptable, no map knowledge, and no ECM get eaten alive.

#58 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 24 August 2017 - 05:46 PM

View PostTarogato, on 24 August 2017 - 02:47 PM, said:

About a year ago, maybe more, I ran a test in private lobby. Me (40ms ping) shooting my buddy (350ms ping) while we were both in jenners, so I could follow him abreast and check his hitboxes while we moved. The amount of lag there was was very minuscule, approximately the equivalent width of a Locusts missile ears, or maybe between that and the width of a jenners missile ears. I was surprised how close it was, I thought for sure I'd find a greater disparity. But HSR works pretty well.

Yep.

That's why I wrote

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 24 August 2017 - 11:06 AM, said:

hit reg is better now than in the past.
And lag as well.

Dunno, it seems to me that light op whiners, are just whiners who cannot aim.

edit: mw3 lag..... THAT was lag. Not here

#59 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:52 PM

View PostRevis Volek, on 24 August 2017 - 04:21 PM, said:

Its really easy to play the scout hover tanks in this old game i play(battlezone), you are fast, you shoot fast and can just be a pest to most slow movers (which is a lot of the other stuff)

pfff MWO lights have it so easy....GOSH!

I play lights in this game too as well as those other ones. Its never been THAT easy honestly.

Did you say...Battlezone? Scouts? Annoying pests?

Posted Image

That Laser-Stinger meta in conjunction with the jump jet flight abuse was stupidly annoying.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users