Did Anyone Notice Road Map.. Try 8V8 For Data?

11 replies to this topic

#1 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:23 AM

I saw that, and i really think that is a good idea.. for all those people saying, i wan't 8v8, i want 12 v 12.. It really has been a long time sense the change. I think this is an excellent idea.. Switch it up, lets see how it actually goes, verse theory you know?

Maybe it's better, maybe it's not, but i gotta think why not try.

The big question is, what if some people love it, and some hate it, like everything else in this game. Would it be worth doing something like alternating months, or even weeks, or bi-weekly?

I kinda like the idea of switching things up.. But IMO i really think the whole idea of try it and then vote as a very good thing

#2 Pjwned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:30 AM

Ideally FW wouldn't be garbage and that would be the mode to satisfy 12v12 needs, so that QP can be 8v8 since it's better as 8v8 for a number of reasons.

Splitting the queues is questionable due to creating more buckets, but if it was really so divisive then 12v12 QP could still be an option too.

Maybe group queue would remain 12v12 and solo queue would be 8v8? Probably not a great idea but also possible I suppose.

Or maybe 8v8 just won't work out and that'll resolve the issue, but I bet it wouldn't go away again without a fight.

#3 Suko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:30 AM

Man, the features on the horizon are really anemic. Other than the new map, I don't see anything new happening in this game until 1/3 the way through 2018.

But on topic: I saw someone else's comment that 8v8 could be an option for Matchmaker to switch over to when the population levels demand it. Or, keep some maps 12v12 and other 8v8. I don't think all-or-nothing with 12v12 or 8v8 is the way to go.

Edited by Suko, 24 August 2017 - 08:32 AM.

#4 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:03 AM

8v8 is worth a try, definitely.

#5 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 12:10 AM

View PostSuko, on 24 August 2017 - 08:30 AM, said:

Man, the features on the horizon are really anemic. Other than the new map, I don't see anything new happening in this game until 1/3 the way through 2018.

But on topic: I saw someone else's comment that 8v8 could be an option for Matchmaker to switch over to when the population levels demand it. Or, keep some maps 12v12 and other 8v8. I don't think all-or-nothing with 12v12 or 8v8 is the way to go.

part 1, I read two months of polish and long standing issues as the main thing.. To me that is very welcome!

part 2, That is a very interesting idea.. I think i might like it.. give us some variety. Play high pop time your getting 12v12.. Those late night matches when not as many people on, maybe we will get better matches. That could work..

#6 AnTi90d

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,229 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • Locationhttps://voat.co/

Posted 25 August 2017 - 12:22 AM

I intend on boycotting QP for the duration of it being 8v8, during the test.. unless there is a specific event that requires QP participation.

..and, if I am required to participate in 8v8 QP to meet the event requirements, I fully intend on derping as hard as I can in the most useless builds possible.

I want nothing to do with 8v8. I even actively avoided MW4 servers that were 8v8. Large battles are what I'm here for. If I can't have that, to hell with MWO.

Posted Image

#7 SteelMantis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 179 posts
  • Locationon the shifting sands of the meta

Posted 25 August 2017 - 01:06 AM

I'm looking forward to trying it out on the live servers.

The best thing to do is give it a shot and see how everybody feels about it with today's tech. And even though I'm not currently in favor of the idea of changing QP to 8v8 it's always fun to have an event shaking up the QP meta.

#8 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 01:24 AM

View PostSteelMantis, on 25 August 2017 - 01:06 AM, said:

I'm looking forward to trying it out on the live servers.

The best thing to do is give it a shot and see how everybody feels about it with today's tech. And even though I'm not currently in favor of the idea of changing QP to 8v8 it's always fun to have an event shaking up the QP meta.

Yea, pretty much the same.. I wanna see. If it's better than i'm all for it, If not, then well duh.. I do really think that highpop/lowpop switch is a very interesting idea..

If it kinda becomes a wash, meaning there isn't a huge difference in the way matches are won/loss by way of a single mech drop.. maybe alternating could be a thing. Basically what i'm saying if its fun both ways, but just in different ways, then why not?

I'm not going to throw a fit if i don't get my way, and no mater what i always try to win and help my team. If i'm not going to do that, i'll go play a single player game.

#9 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 25 August 2017 - 01:35 AM

View PostSuko, on 24 August 2017 - 08:30 AM, said:

Man, the features on the horizon are really anemic.

Yep. PGI clearly have almost no development resources on MWO at this point.

The fact that they couldn't even deliver the Civil War patch fully completed is another indicator of how they're just trying to keep MWO afloat until MW5, the next big cash injection.

#10 Methanoid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 360 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 02:23 AM

View PostJC Daxion, on 24 August 2017 - 08:23 AM, said:

I saw that, and i really think that is a good idea.. for all those people saying, i wan't 8v8, i want 12 v 12.. It really has been a long time sense the change. I think this is an excellent idea.. Switch it up, lets see how it actually goes, verse theory you know?

Maybe it's better, maybe it's not, but i gotta think why not try.

The big question is, what if some people love it, and some hate it, like everything else in this game. Would it be worth doing something like alternating months, or even weeks, or bi-weekly?

I kinda like the idea of switching things up.. But IMO i really think the whole idea of try it and then vote as a very good thing

simple, dont vote, just enable both modes for a month or 2, then check factual data on which was the most popular, problem solved, no guesswork or faulty opinions required.

#11 MagicIndex

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 77 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 03:49 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 24 August 2017 - 10:03 AM, said:

8v8 is worth a try, definitely.

Definitely... NOT.Posted Image

#12 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 07:16 AM

I can see pros and cons, and it ends up depending on what is more important to you as an individual player. It's effects could end up being RNG.

Because look, if match maker only needs 16 players, it can make matches more quickly. It, presumably, would also be able to fill those matches with players of like tiering (for all that it really matters) more frequently.

However, it wont ALWAYS be able to fill teams with like tiering (for all that it matters). And being that each team is smaller, the impact of Potatodom and AFKdom, etc., are much larger.

Which situation you find yourself in more often will dictate how you feel about that change.

It's worth noting that the new player experience could also be rendered much more terrible as it is (hypothetically) less likely for any given team they are likely to be on to have skilled players to offset their inexperience/show them how it's done/show them tolerance and forebearance(? I mean, that wouldn't be all skilled players in any event, nor is the opposite true).

How will 8v8Now compare with 8v8Past? That essentially depends on the changes in the player base.

I don't know how it was before, but knowing how the playerbase is now generally, and nostalgia effects, I'm going to guess it will go over poorly overall. What the final call will be though, who knows.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users