#1 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:39 PM

A version of Tourmaline?

Yeah I can live with that. Been wanting a new map for a long time. May not be the ideal map that we all wanted but it's a good start. Thank you.

#2 Methanoid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 360 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:57 PM

Posted Image

#3 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:07 PM

A moon like map with hopefully damped sounds, aka hybrid of Polar and HPG? Yes please. And a pure city map? Oh hell yes, I just hope they can make the city immersive, mechs shouldnt dwarf buildings (well not all). Yeah, MW4 city maps as reference.
City map, alot of hide and seek, brawling and even long-line of sight down some streets. Maybe with some dead end walls that can be shot down. For a short cut or two.
Thats a city map I would LOVE ot see. Maybe the city could be sourrounded by a river and a bridge out of it to a tiny stip of open land. Emphazis TINY, its about the city, though the open land and river could be surrounded by mountains and a collpsed passage to mark the borders.

Edited by Tordin, 24 August 2017 - 02:08 PM.

#4 Khalcruth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Steiner
  • Hero of Steiner
  • 812 posts
  • LocationYou gotta lose your mind in Detroit! Rock City!

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:10 PM

View PostKalimaster, on 24 August 2017 - 01:39 PM, said:

but it's a good start.

No, it really really isn't. 5 maps would be a good start, given how long they've been promising new maps, and the last time an actually new map was delivered.

#5 Methanoid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 360 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:44 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 24 August 2017 - 02:42 PM, said:

But... like... all the buildings in the MW4 city maps dwarfed mechs..... And it makes sense. Atlas should be around the size of, what, a 5 story building?

The weird scale on buildings makes things feels less like a mech game and more of a godzilla simulator.

#6 mouser42

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 382 posts
  • Locationb-more

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:45 PM

a flooded, bomb out, overgrown mech factory complex would be fun

#7 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:54 PM

View PostMethanoid, on 24 August 2017 - 02:44 PM, said:

The weird scale on buildings makes things feels less like a mech game and more of a godzilla simulator.

Crap. Accidentally deleted post instead of edited it. I misread Tordin's post. That he didn't want the buildings to dwarf the mechs, yet citing MW4 which did exactly that. Correct, though. Mechs shouldn't dwarf buildings in a city. At least not most of them.

Part of it is also that a lot of their building models are not... totally recognizable as normal buildings? Like PGI tried too hard for some sort of sci-fi building, but in the end it's still supposed to be a brownstone. It makes it harder to relate to the terrain object if you can't easily identify what it is supposed to be.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 24 August 2017 - 03:02 PM.

#8 Smites

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 03:43 PM

View PostKhalcruth, on 24 August 2017 - 02:10 PM, said:

No, it really really isn't. 5 maps would be a good start, given how long they've been promising new maps, and the last time an actually new map was delivered.

To be fair. There will be about 4-6 maps. 1 in a few months, 1 to test at mech-con and a few for Solaris. They have been working, I think, mostly on Solaris and the maps for 1v1 and 2v2. However, the new Crater map sounds like HPG just minus the buildings. Posted Image

#9 ShadowFire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 211 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 04:00 PM

It would be nice if the cars were not Go-Kart sized like the Crimson Strait map. However, At this point ANY map(s) would be welcomed! It's PGI's greatest failing in my book.

#10 Alexander of Macedon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 04:09 PM

In before it's actually just a rework of Tourmaline that makes it worse and doesn't fix the invisible terrain.

#11 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 04:14 PM

Any new map is good but removing map voting would even be better.

#12 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 24 August 2017 - 04:16 PM

Get this:

It's going to have... craters!

Posted Image

#13 Accused

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 989 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 04:41 PM

View PostSmites, on 24 August 2017 - 03:43 PM, said:

1 in a few months

quoted for truth

#14 Methanoid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 360 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 04:46 PM

in order to increase the MWO gaming population the next map will appease the various Farming Simulator games that all have higher populations than MWO, behold our next map in all its glory.

Posted Image

Edited by Methanoid, 24 August 2017 - 04:55 PM.

#15 PheonixStorm

• PipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 05:19 PM

A farm oriented map would be fun if they added infantry or battle armor. Especially in open wheat fields to hide said infantry so they could swarm or knee-cap.

A real urban map would be nice, would be better if you could crash into them and hide inside them as you can in TT BattleTech. Then again, I would also like to be able to level the building in front of me to open LOS more in the same type of map.

View PostAnjian, on 24 August 2017 - 04:14 PM, said:

Any new map is good but removing map voting would even be better.

I disagree with removing the map voting. I can't count how many times we (collective) have avoided terra therma (Mordor) thanks to the map voting. I am partial to some maps myself and not being able to play them is annoying but as long as Mordor is shot down I generally don't care about the others as they are usually far superior.

#16 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:30 PM

Yawn. One map after how many years? I'll add a few new locations to skyrim for free thanks to people able to make their own locations aka maps. Oh well maybe the new clan light will be worth a cheeseburger combo meal.

#17 jjm1

• Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:59 PM

View PostMethanoid, on 24 August 2017 - 04:46 PM, said:

in order to increase the MWO gaming population the next map will appease the various Farming Simulator games that all have higher populations than MWO, behold our next map in all its glory.

Posted Image

This used to be a farming game.

Just think of the pre-nerf(s) quad UAC-4 KDK-3 next time someone says the game is currently imbalanced. I haven't seen an MLX-G trying to get consecutive 2k matches.

#18 FallingAce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 627 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:01 PM

Last "new" map was the Terra Therma rework. But since PGI removed the old Terra Therma, it was not really an addition to the game.

Posted Image

I just wonder how many MW5 maps have been made in the last year.

#19 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:58 PM

View PostPheonixStorm, on 24 August 2017 - 05:19 PM, said:

A farm oriented map would be fun if they added infantry or battle armor. Especially in open wheat fields to hide said infantry so they could swarm or knee-cap.

A real urban map would be nice, would be better if you could crash into them and hide inside them as you can in TT BattleTech. Then again, I would also like to be able to level the building in front of me to open LOS more in the same type of map.

I disagree with removing the map voting. I can't count how many times we (collective) have avoided terra therma (Mordor) thanks to the map voting. I am partial to some maps myself and not being able to play them is annoying but as long as Mordor is shot down I generally don't care about the others as they are usually far superior.

Sorry but I disagree. Missile boaters will always vote for Polar and Artic, energy users will vote for Polar, Artic and Frozen, and this results in a disproportionate number of cold and open maps being chosen, which only solidifies a meta.

#20 xe N on

• 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:41 PM

View PostMethanoid, on 24 August 2017 - 02:44 PM, said:

That's because the mechs are huge in fact. They dwarf small buildings.

View PostKoniving, on 01 June 2015 - 07:28 AM, said:

Posted Image

On the left is a 55 ton tank from one of the Crysis games. On the right is the Shadowhawk from MWO. In the center is a Shadowhawk rescaled to the original canonical scale of the Shadowhawk from Battletech at 9.63 meters complete with scaled figures added to mimic the art (Thanks to Haruko for doing this for me).

I borrowed that quote from an old thread: https://mwomercs.com...of-battlemechs/

Edited by xe N on, 24 August 2017 - 10:42 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users