The Most Powerful Light Mechs For A Noob?

27 replies to this topic

#21 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 03:08 AM

View PostDavidStarr, on 24 August 2017 - 10:23 PM, said:

Hi. I'm a complete noob when it comes to light mechs, and honestly, I utterly hate both piloting them and playing against them. I think this game would be much better if light mechs were removed from it.

Having said that, I want to buy at least one light, and preferably - one IS one and one clan one for FW and challenge-completing purposes. And my question is: which light mechs, in your opinion, could bring the least amount of suffering to their pilot who is accustomed to brawling in heavy and assault mechs, while simultaneously bringing the most suffering to the enemy?

One idea is to find the best mechs for LRMs (and play TurretWarrior Online), but that's a no-brainer. I was hoping for something more interesting.

P. S. Only looking for mechs currently purchasable for C-Bills.

Let me throw an idea at you and it is about the I.S. Bundles they sell here.

Here is the cost of 30 days of Premium Time.

Posted Image

Here is the price of the Locust Bundle

Posted Image

Being poor, I normally do not spend real money in this game but this deal is hard to pass up.

For $13.00 you get 3 mechs, 30 days of PT and three mech bays.

This Bundle contains the following items:
  • HERO 'MECH: LCT-PB "PIRATES' BANE"
  • CHAMPION 'MECH: LCT-1E(C)
  • STANDARD 'MECH: LCT-3M
  • 3 'MECH BAYS (FOR THE ABOVE CHASSIS)
  • 30 DAYS PREMIUM TIME (ACTIVATED ON PURCHASE / REDEMPTION)

'Mech Bundles provide you with contents at a 50% savings compared to purchasing their contents individually at standard MC rates.

#22 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 03:51 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 25 August 2017 - 12:35 AM, said:

If you on the other hand want to try the light mech path (like it or not) the Locust 1E

I actually prefer the 3M, with 5MLs it can shoot faster than MPLs with its Cooldown quirk before applying Skill Tree and has all other benefits of a 1E.

View PostGagis, on 25 August 2017 - 08:57 AM, said:

Please don't do that. Whenever a game goes long with the winning team chasing the last survivor its always either an erll cheetah or erppc shc, either struggling to break 100 damage. Its just not effective enough.

You can poke with a Cheetah using 2ERMLs though not at same range.

View PostBoogie138, on 27 August 2017 - 01:26 PM, said:

play against better pilots then. Ever since the re-scale the Jenners (including the IS version) are just way too easy to hit, esp right on the nose (ct)

The only semi viable use I have found for them since re-scale (sans solo pug derping in snowflake builds) is to hit and fade w/ medium lasers.

Hit and fade with MLs is what Jenners used to do so they have the same value.

#23 Athom83

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 13 September 2017 - 05:24 AM

The Urbanmech is actually a pretty strong choice for a light mech when you use LMGs and MPLs (I use the R63 with 3 of each) on a Std or LFE 180, with room to spare for maxing JJs.

#24 Ertur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Revolutionary
  • The Revolutionary
  • 565 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:22 PM

View PostWildstreak, on 29 August 2017 - 03:51 AM, said:

Hit and fade with MLs is what Jenners used to do so they have the same value.

Kinda, sorta, but not really. Hit and fade is better done by Commandos and Locusts right now. Much MUCH better. Jenners used to go 152 with max engine and speed tweak, now it's 148. Jenners used to be about 2/3 or 3/4 their current size, too. Bigger and slower does not help them in their role.

#25 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:31 PM

Hum. I'm not sure if the OP is still looking for advice... But if you are more adjusted to slower and more armed/armored mechs... Have you considered the fun little Urbanmech? It's not the fastest light (though it can still get rather zippy), has JJs for extra mobility, has the ability to take some heavier weapons compared to other lights... and the best selling point? Look at those armor quirks it's got base. Add that to the survival tree in the skill tree and it can be one tough nut to crack. It will act more like a zippy medium mech more than an actual light mech, but if you need to shave some tonnage (say for a larger group or a drop deck for FP), it can be a handy little mech to have around.

#26 Xardion

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 01:54 PM

So far, my fave light mech is the Oxide (Jenner hero) with 4xSRM-4's. On skills, take alot of mobility (to get to all the speed tweaks, 3x anchor turn, etc), pick some firepower to extend the range, better heat, missile racks, do sensors to get radar dep, and as much survivability as you can. Doing that last part will let you shave down the armor to pick up some extra SRM ammo if you need it. You are fairly limited on long range maps like Polar Highlands and Alpine Peaks, but you will tear them up on peek & hide maps like Mining Collective, River City, HPG, etc. Just remember you're in a delicious Jenner, and your hitboxes look like a birthday cake. Use your assault buddies as sponges, and the backs of the enemy assaults as sponges for your missiles. Blow the legs off any lights who try to take a poke at your buddies' backs.

#27 Squiggy McPew

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 755 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 03:29 PM

There isn't really any reason to buy the 1 month prem time over the locust pack even if you don't want or need the mechs. Strip them and sell them to pocket the cbills and gain the equipment and three mech bays for a dollar. Plus everyone needs a pirates bane for the ecm and stealth armour sneaky sneaky stuff. B33f has a snppc build but I prefer four er meds.

#28 Tordin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 31 March 2018 - 07:55 AM

For IS

Wolfhound and Locust.

Both heroes can do ECM if you want to spend money. If not, the standard variants are great harassers and strikers with durability for the Wolfie and hard to hit and speed for the Lolcust.

For Clan

Cougar and Cheetah

Both can do ECM. While the Cougar is on the slow side, its a great "moon" "big mech" companion, a guard dog and support mech. Can do alot of great damage if not the most of any Clan light. It got decent hitboxex and can take a hit, it just seems frail, due to not being the fastest light to head out of dodge, like its older brother the chassis is based on, the Adder.

The Cheetah is just good all around but might not have the best firepower unless you want to roast some beef in the cockpit.

Conclusion. Its smart in the long run to get used to both fast and slow lights for a beginner, just be aware of the strenghts and weaknesses of the chassis and build accordingly. Your experience might pass over to the use of heavier classes of mechs which is never a bad thing.

Edited by Tordin, 31 March 2018 - 07:57 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users