Machine Gun Changes And How We Depolarise Them Without Nerfing Them

30 replies to this topic

#1 SOL Ranger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 232 posts
  • LocationEndor, exterminating little evil bear people for the Empire.

Posted 25 August 2017 - 06:56 PM

We have many posts about this issue and I disagree quite adamantly that MG's are too strong, but that does not mean I do not agree that they are also dysfunctional in many ways and I would gladly want to have them altered to fit a more general purpose role overall.

I would be open to adjusting various properties to de-polarise them from niche roles and reduce some cumulative effects that may be problematic even if so to a lesser degree.

However "nerfing" MG's in terms of sheer power when they are just getting to be useful is a misguided direction and requiest. LMG's just got to a point where they are actually interesting addition to the game and all kinds of chassis, no way should they be performing worse or lose overall power. However there is room to slightly adjust some dysfunctional properties, given more conventional practical properties and in turn get a more interesting combat dynamic with less frustrating elements in it for all participants it is certainly worthwhile. I am of course talking about to a notable extent losing crit properties and adjusting niche ranges.

MG's and HMG's both need love to bring them into the world of practical application and not remain in exclusive niche relegated use like they are currently. While as such so both could still stand to have some slight heat(yes I said it) added and also crit loss to compensate for practical moderate ranges with of course a slight raw DPS increase to also differentiate them from LMG's more. Such that the overlap for picking any of them isn't that huge while still offering similar overall performances from a practical standpoint based on weight and intended best use cases for them.

Crits as an RNG and devastating highly neutering element is a poor mechanic to utilise to such an extent as MG's have been capable of doing now, and as such I say it must go from all of them and instead replaced with linear solutions or simply move properties to more conventional areas of interest like range, efficiency etc., retain the power level while adding practicality as compensation for the removed or added dysfunctional/high value properties.

LMG

Vision:

Efficient structure tearing medium range machine gun, perfect as a supplemental weapon for already preferably heavy damage builds looking to destroy exposed structure quickly with a range of support weapons. A situational weapon not very suited to general purpose conventional use but very suited for ambush tactics, suprise attacks especially at closer range and active targeting of armour-less exposed enemies and components.

Problems:

The weapon is very polarised as to its critical properties, the damage it does overall is not a problem but how easily it crits out internals leaving enemies crippled and helpless leads to frustration, a sort of unfairness honestly and also causes very twitchy gameplay where the slightest exposure might instantly lose you your weapons even if you don't die.

It is also much more precise than the other machine guns with those extreme critical properties leading to further escalating the issues with it based on individual skill raising its performance capacity to unbelievable heights when enemies are less than able to instantly turn, while also remaining only moderately useful for less talented players in general.

While the overall weapon itself is not too powerful as such, and I repeat that, it is not too powerful for what it generally performs as. But just those use cases where it is put to perfect execution it is simply outright devastating. Although not very good in novice hands it does also provide devastating sweeping fire at any exposed mechs that could easily bust them up instantly without much aim needed which is also a problem. I do not subscribe to the notion that internals should be destroyed at the pace possible and RNG is not meaningful either so lets just cut that out as much as possible.

The weapon must be depolarised in favour of more conventional properties and more meaningful combat interaction.

Suggested statistics:
  • 320m optimal range(260+60m), conventional range addition
  • 0.7dps, no change
  • Removed crit properties, replacing it with a linear solution.
  • Added a flat 160% increased damage against structure, 1.82dps(from 1.88dps) against pure structure and unchanged 0.7dps(from 0.7dps) against armour.
  • No heat
  • CoF increased to 0.4 from 0.2 making it less precise
  • Projectile velocity increased to 800m/s(visual only)
  • Ammo capacity increased to 3000/t from 2500/t
Pros:
  • Highly ammo efficient
  • "The" only heatless machine gun
  • "The" structure eating machine gun
  • Moderate range
Cons:
  • Less precise
  • Limited conventional damage
  • Better used at closer ranges for full effect
  • Better used at armour stripped mechs and combined with other conventional weapons
  • Situational
  • No longer crit seeking, does not crit out internals specifically
Effectively remaining the same weapon more or less, just no longer critting but still tears structure at the same rates, less precise but remains heatless, gets slight range and is more ammo efficient to compensate.

MG

Vision:

Slightly structure tearing standard issue medium range machine gun, perfect as a low weight alternative for added flexible raw dps on low weight or weight limited chassis and builds, while only retaining some minor anti-structure properties. The average machine gun, effective and works for most things.

Problems:

MG is simply too niched into short range while offering little use cases for more mechs than the fastest few, also LMG simply outshines it regardless as a vulnerability seeking weapon leaving MG's in a weird spot of little desirable properties that always demand you expose yourself fully for prolonged periods while offering little of benefit in practical terms. The crit seeking element is also a problematic factor for these weapons and must be adjusted into more conventional properties, however since the LMG is already the structure eating weapon now, a more conventional sustained damage role is needed.

Suggested statistics:
  • 360m optimal range(130+230m) conventional range increase
  • 1.2 dps(1.0 + 0.2) slight conventional dps increase
  • Removed crit properties, replacing it with a linear solution.
  • Added a flat 20% increased damage to structure, 1.44dps(from 2.11dps) against pure structure and 1.2dps(from 1.0dps) against armour.
  • 0.15 heat per second, slight heat addition to the weapon from no heat. 8x would generate 1.2hps from them alone
  • CoF reduced to 0.5 from 0.6
  • Projectile velocity increased to 1000m/s(visual only)
  • Ammo effficiency increased to 2500/t from 2000/t
Pros:
  • "The" All purpose average machine gun
  • Good general purpose use
  • Moderate range
  • Highly dps/weight efficient
  • Moderately heat efficient
  • Ammo efficient
Cons:
  • Not very precise.
  • Marginal anti-structure properties
The general dps purpose weapon of choice for most low end chassis while requiring little investment.

HMG

Vision:

Purely general purpose medium range heavy machine gun, perfect as a supplementary dps weapon for any chassis that has the weight and ammo to carry it, but especially for mid-range to heavier chassis looking to boost sustained damage at medium ranges and get alternative more heat efficient performance.

Problems:

HMG is stuck in an extreme niche due to lacking range and quite powerful crit properties still, while offering little practical use regardless of them. Also the ease of use with combined heat heavy builds can sometimes allow silly levels of firepower especially against structure that isn't reasonable, while boating of HMG's should remain viable as it is a fun and meaningful choice and not very effective in itself without alpha weaponry.

Furthermore many heavier chassis cannot use the HMG's simply because they are so impractical range wise, as in they are not even remotely an option and the next ballistics weapon in line is the U/AC2 at 5-6t making any low weight ballistics additions of weapons at moderate ranges essentially LMG or bust.

Yet with ammo HMG still are non-trivially heavy to carry especially for the lighter mechs(esp IS) leaving the weapon quite dysfunctional overall in any case. Again due to the range even many mediums have difficulty to bring the HMG's on target even. HMG's are strictly not viable for anything slower than 90kph. An Arrow with HMG's is completely pointless right now and everyone picks LMG's as not only are they more devastating crit wise combined with other weapons but also half the weight and highly ammo efficient with decent projection.

HMG's need to be put on the map as interesting fun weapons for all kinds of chassis, even if it costs some heat and loss of crit elements to do so.

Suggested statistics:
  • 380m optimal range(80+300m) conventional range increase
  • 1.7dps(1.4+0.3) conventional dps increase
  • Removed crit properties.
  • No structure damage bonuses added, the weapon does 1.7dps(down from 2.47dps) to structure and 1.7 dps(up from 1.4dps) to armour.
  • 0.25 heat per second, heat addition to the weapon noticeably higher than the other MG's from previously no heat. 8x would generate 2hps from them alone.
  • CoF reduced to 0.8(from 1.1)
  • Projectile velocity increased to 1400m/s(visual only)
  • Ammo efficiency remains unaltered.
Pros:
  • "The" fluff damage support machine gun
  • General purpose use
  • Practical medium ranges
  • Moderately dps/weight efficient weapon overall
  • Practical for heavier chassis
Cons:
  • Very imprecise
  • Somewhat ammo inefficient
  • Somewhat heat prone
  • No additional anti-structure properties
It becomes the generic weapon of choice for heavier chassis as a supplementary machine gun usually, a good weapon but very spread out and much more harmless against structure than before, but still allowing heat efficient pressure to be applied with non-trivial dps.

Additional universal change:
  • The skill tree must affect ROF and spread for all MG's in "Cooldown/ROF" and "Weapon Spread" nodes so we can spec into MG warfare, this is a compromise issue and costs other skill nodes in the skill tree. This also gives IS MG's a slight potential ROF increase beyond Clan which fits in nicely with the double increased weight cost.
Now all the different MG's are also able to coincide within similar medium ranges of engagement, applied into all kinds of heavier chassis in various combinations for whatever purpose while having very different functionality and benefits each of them, with the heavier more general purpose models are more in line to fit also heavier chassis due to their lower inefficiency of ammo but higher raw dps.

Also people can boat MG's freely as before but carrying heat heavy other weapons expecting to double dip into MG's can become a hassle and compromises have to be made being aware of the heat on various MG's, but it still being low nevertheless.

Double dipping can be done but will most effectively still only be used with LMG's to the same effect due to still remaining fully heatless but now they do not crit and they are slightly less precise so to utilise them properly it is best to expose oneself to get closer or take more time to fire and hit the vulnerable components.

Summary

Reduce observed dysfunctional behaviour that is very much unnecessary and as I see it detrimental to the game, also add slight drawbacks and reduce the extremes of properties of the weapons to create much wiggle room for practical benefits being added making the weapons more meaningful as a whole.

Add new roles to the weapons and remove them from the extreme relegated niches where they do not need to exist or redundantly overlap as they do. Then to compensate we also add options to them in the skill tree as they no longer exist on the fringes where improvement of their most prominent properties is by their inherent polarisation impossible to excuse for PGI,

Essentially I'm trying to build a new combat dynamic for low weight ballistics that is more generic and general purpose for MG and HMG's, while notably still retaining the classic idea of the heatless vulnerability seeking machine gun for the LMG. They then all exist more as something interesting to use for all kinds of weight class mechs and builds as light weight ballistics options.

Reserved for all the human things. Figures are estimations and placeholders, adjustments are expected.

Edited by SOL Ranger, 26 August 2017 - 09:23 AM.

#2 qS Sachiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 373 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 08:21 PM

ITF:

People complaining about MG/(LMG) because you need to 1) open up armor components to structure (cripple an opponent), 2) sustain reticle on target to do damage, 3) generally boat 2-3+ LMG to be effective.

When i can go splat, knock on your mech 3 times in one component and shear it clean off, and do that sustained continuously with minimal face time, and 3/5 of the range required for MG.

Not sure what people are QQing about.

The mechs that are boating these weapon platforms currently can be put down in 1-3 moderate alphas (albeit they run at 100+kph).

I put 2x LMG in my roughneck with 3srm6 and an AC5 and it's still less effective than just boating lasers, splat, or in QP-pug: atm (not on IS of course).
That said, it lets me cool off, shear off shoulders between SRM cycles when mechs are partially twisting away between the bass-drum that is SRMs knocking on their forehead, and they pad out the hardpoints while doing some damage.

Not sure why you want to make MG generate heat.... really?

Edited by qS Sachiel, 25 August 2017 - 08:28 PM.

#3 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 25 August 2017 - 08:37 PM

IMO MG COF should just be removed. Reduce other attributes to compensate. Giving 120 meter optimum range weapon such spread is ridiculous in the first place.

Edited by El Bandito, 25 August 2017 - 08:38 PM.

#4 qS Sachiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 373 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 08:42 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 25 August 2017 - 08:37 PM, said:

IMO MG COF should just be removed. Reduce other attributes to compensate. Giving 120 meter optimum range weapon such spread is ridiculous in the first place.

I think that this, along with the tracer effect, is what leads people to confuse the weapon as being projectile based (not hitscan) too.
I figure that's why the COF is there, to stop it being a laser that just shreds structure. The COF makes it slightly weaker and encourages a closer range. HMG i'm not sure what the COF is like because i don't use it much, but if it's something like +/-10* then pretty dodgy for 90m optimum i'll agree.

#5 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,823 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 25 August 2017 - 09:39 PM

Not everything that's good needs to be nerfed. Nothing wrong with the way LMG/MG/HMG function right now. The mechs that boat them all boat them on arms that have no armor/structure bonus and blow up easily.

#6 An Innocent Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 285 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 11:46 PM

the only thing I can see an MG nerf is if more than 4 MG(light, normal, heavy) are fired at the same time that it should incur that pesky ghost heat

#7 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,823 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 25 August 2017 - 11:51 PM

View PostAn Innocent Urbie, on 25 August 2017 - 11:46 PM, said:

the only thing I can see an MG nerf is if more than 4 MG(light, normal, heavy) are fired at the same time that it should incur that pesky ghost heat

What's the point of having 6 ballistic arm light mechs then? There's no cooldown on MGs, they are meant to be spammed, and you have to STARE at your enemy to do so.

#8 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 12:02 AM

ITT:

How not to nerf MGs and what not:

With all these nerfs!

Posted Image

Machine guns are fine. Leave them be.

#9 qS Sachiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 373 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 12:07 AM

The hilt is looking at the tip and is getting FOMO.

the new mechs have been out for less than a fortnight. CW weapons are like what? 1.5months old.

Do we not give anything the benefit of time anymore that you need to stomp on it immediately? I really don't see MG as a giant problem needing to be fixed because i don't die to MG spam. I die to the big guys up the front after i've dumped my damage out.

People complaining about getting rekt by MG and crying out for its depression are either sitting at the back playing with/by themselves or are just experiencing the MLX/ARCH bloom purely because people are excited to try out their new toys.

Edited by qS Sachiel, 26 August 2017 - 12:08 AM.

#10 YasuoBloodMoon

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 12:37 AM

just NERF'emPosted Image

#11 Tapdancing Kerensky

• PipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 87 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 04:33 AM

Stop letting people shoot you in the back. If they weren't shooting you with MGs they'd be shooting you with something else and you'd still be getting killed.

#12 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,935 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 26 August 2017 - 05:04 AM

Tell me something...

Were machine guns a problem after new tech when the most you could boat were 6 and only on bigger mechs? Was the Arrow suddenly dominant? Was the Shadow Cat?
Be honest now. They weren't, were they?

Then why all of a sudden when 2 lights that can boat more than 6 are we talking about nerfing or changing overall machine gun mechanics? Making changes that affect an entire weapon system, when only two very specific mechs are the perceived problem.

IF there is a problem (there isn't), it is a problem with two very specific mech builds and NOT with machine guns or their mechanics.
Please stop this nonsense.

#13 SOL Ranger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 232 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 07:02 AM

View PostAn Innocent Urbie, on 25 August 2017 - 11:46 PM, said:

No there is no problem with the killing power when boating and it specifically needs to stay, there is no nerf to be applied because there is no need to and power should be retained.

What is required is an adjustment to remove critting of internals and adding role changes for two of the machine guns because we have no need for three identical crit seeking/structure focused MG's anyway, and LMG's are perfect for it already.

#14 Smites

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 07:06 AM

I'm not reading all of that.

Simply put, MACHINE GUNS ARE FINE AND DON'T NEED TO BE NERFED.

#15 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,096 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 07:09 AM

they could just make them an internal damaging system only and make them even less effective vs armor.

make they what they should be, internal structure death weapons.

so if you want to boat them go ahead but you are useless until mechs start losing all their armor.

#16 SOL Ranger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 232 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 07:27 AM

View PostSmites, on 26 August 2017 - 07:06 AM, said:

I'm not reading all of that.

Simply put, MACHINE GUNS ARE FINE AND DON'T NEED TO BE NERFED.

I agree. That's why I made this thread, to have a proper showcase of what the actual issues are concerning MG's and how to solve them in the best way possible without having them nerfed.

It is important their power is retained while the dysfunctional issues are solved separately, while also at the same time making all the MG's more practical and diverse at the same time creating new broader use cases for them.

There after all is no need to have three identical structure focused machine guns and the LMG is perfect for it already, MG's and HMG's need new roles and practical properties to be used in different ways, without being niched into 80m or some such where hardly anyone can even use them.

#17 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 07:28 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 26 August 2017 - 05:04 AM, said:

IF there is a problem (there isn't), it is a problem with two very specific mech builds and NOT with machine guns or their mechanics.
Please stop this nonsense.

And even that's a stretch.

MG Lights getting on your nerves? Good news, you can make their lives miserable with Streaks!

#18 Smites

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 07:32 AM

View PostSOL Ranger, on 26 August 2017 - 07:27 AM, said:

I agree. That's why I made this thread, to have a proper showcase of what the actual issues are concerning MG's and how to solve them in the best way possible without having them nerfed.

It is important their power is retained while the dysfunctional issues are solved separately, while also at the same time making all the MG's more practical and diverse at the same time creating new broader use cases for them.

There after all is no need to have three identical structure focused machine guns and the LMG is perfect for it already, MG's and HMG's need new roles and practical properties to be used in different ways, without being niched into 80m or some such where hardly anyone can even use them.

You seem like a reasonable and intelligent sort.

But I still can't be bothered to read that, and I sincerely don't believe that anyone with reasonable authority to act upon your suggestions - good or bad - will either. Is there an abridged version? Not a TL:DR, but a briefer, more concise list of what you'd hope to achieve?

I hate to ask but, if you've a good idea somewhere in that very detailed post, I'd like to simply cut straight to it and discuss the merits of your proposal.

Edited by Smites, 26 August 2017 - 07:34 AM.

#19 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,981 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 August 2017 - 07:34 AM

Bolster and improve C.A.S.E.
Give small bonus to Endo-Steel internals for crit and structure.
Add small armor bonus for FerroF and L-Ferro.

Problem solved.

Edited by The Trojan Titan, 26 August 2017 - 07:36 AM.

#20 Snazzy Dragon

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 26 August 2017 - 08:05 AM

Or, you know, you could realize they're mostly fine as is

>Buff IS MG rate of fire to make their double tonnage and lower count less bad (can't be totally balanced though, just see: endo steel, ferro fibrous armor, double heat sinks, isXL vs cXL, light engine still significantly worse than cXL, STD being dogsh!t, etc etc)

>Buff HMGs because they are easily the weakest MG

>Reduce crit chance of LMG past optimal range, reduce it significantly more out past 400m (assuming PGI can change the coding for that; hopefully it isn't LosTech)

Edited by Snazzy Dragon, 26 August 2017 - 08:05 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users