46 replies to this topic

#1 Lucifaust

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 116 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 29 August 2017 - 05:15 AM

Never thought I'd say this. Never.

But they are. The rate at which these things destroy weapons is phenomenal. Even 1-2 of them is enough to strip a heavy of its firepower.

Balance them. Why do I bother PGI doesn't read this anyway

#2 C4NC3R

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 198 posts
  • LocationUSSR

Posted 29 August 2017 - 05:33 AM

Posted Image

#3 Daggett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 August 2017 - 05:59 AM

Well, critting out weapons is the purpose of these things.
It only really hurts when you have most weapons in one location, but it's your decision in the mechlab if you want such a vulnerability.

Personally i'd prefer my weapons in a side torso are critted out rather than some laservomit or dual gauss takes out the whole torso instead. If that ACH or MLX would hit your open light/xl torso with 4 Heavy Meds it would probably be much more devastating than losing some weapons to LMGs...

However what should be observed by PGI is their range, this is what makes 'em more used than the other mgs.
Damage-wise the other MGs are superior, their higher base-damage greatly outperforms the better crit-damage of LMGs.

But the LMGs range allows them to be used much more often and with less risk, resulting in more opportunities to crit out weapons and to destroy open locations, making them viable on most mechs.

You can be glad that heavy MGs are too heavy (haha) to be boated by the 8xMG ACH and still have sufficient ammo or backup lasers. Those things would brutally rip through anything unprotected...

Edited by Daggett, 29 August 2017 - 06:08 AM.

#4 eminus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 604 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 06:03 AM

NERF armor , light machine guns takes ages for them to strip

#5 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 06:28 AM

Are you crit padding? It usually takes 10+ seconds of fighting with an MG boat for me to lose anything important, which is a whole lot longer than the entire section would have lasted against a double 4 HML alpha, or in some cases just one.

#6 Athom83

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 29 August 2017 - 06:35 AM

MGs have always been performing this well, but they just didn't have the range people usually stand off at. Some people still don't know what range to stand off at with their weapons. I even just saw an Urbie with 4 HMGs plinking away at a target at 200m-250m, and despite me constantly telling him "you have to get closer to do damage with your HMGs", he kept at that range. I even see the occasional person standing off at 300m with regular MGs. The reason LMGs are seeming "omg OP plz nerf" is because they actually have the range to effectively reach to where people were standing off at already. When you actually close range with those heavier MGs, they are better than the LMGs when you know what you're doing.

#7 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,893 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 29 August 2017 - 06:39 AM

Again with the nerfs...

http://s2.quickmeme....f7cba8778a5.jpg

#8 Admiral-Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 578 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 06:44 AM

View PostLucifaust, on 29 August 2017 - 05:15 AM, said:

Even 1-2 of them is enough to strip a badly damaged heavy who has lost all of his armor of its firepower.

Fixed that for you.

Edited by AlphaEtOmega, 29 August 2017 - 06:45 AM.

#9 Athom83

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 06:49 AM

View PostAlphaEtOmega, on 29 August 2017 - 06:44 AM, said:

Fixed that for you.

Lol.

When they try to get me in my Highlander, I just pop them in the face with an AC/20. It works wonders to scare them off, or finish them off if they're low armor.

#10 AphexTwin11

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 398 posts
  • LocationLooking right through you, with somniferous almond eyes

Posted 29 August 2017 - 06:52 AM

PGI plz NERF flamers - makes the mech hot too fast and I shutdown and am vulnerable and then get killed
PGI plz NERF MG's - they shoot too many bullets that destroy mai weapons
PGI plz NERF armor - MG's don't do much damage against it and i need MG's not to be a Niche weapon
PGI plz NERF KDK-1 - the KDK-3 was OP a couple months ago, plz nerf other chases just to make sure
PGI plz NERF Skill tree - too many nodes OP
PGI plz NERF DWF - it can fit too many weapons and is too fast
PGI plz NERF IS LFE - engine makes the robits too fast, plz reinstate ST-loss deaths to balance
PGI plz NERF RAC - the barrell spins, should be stationary therefore increase the heat it generates plz
PGI plz NERF stealth armor - MWO is not Shogun:Total war, no ninjas allowed plz nerf
PGI plz NERF forums - all text, icons is OP. Plz nerf to make forums brail only

Edited by AphexTwin11, 29 August 2017 - 10:17 AM.

#11 - World Eater -

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 940 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:15 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 29 August 2017 - 06:39 AM, said:

It's getting hard to believe that these are serious threads.

#12 FunkyT

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 139 posts
  • LocationAt the Front, overextending, with no support

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:35 AM

Granted, LMGs CAN feel kinda unbalanced at times. Recently had a match on a Mad Cat MkII, where I had next to no armor left in the middle of the match on forest colony. I heard the plinging of MG bullets hitting my exposed mech and could watch my last few weapons turning red. I had to look around for a moment to even see where the fire was coming from. Turns out 2 lights with ECM cover were nailing me from roughly 400m away. So not only would they not pop on my radar, but they were killing me from a distance I honestly didn't expect to be hit with machine gun fire from. By the time I found them, I couldn't even fight back anymore.

Anyway, I don't necessarily think that LMGs are broken or anything. I think the big problem is their range.
As others already stated, they do exactly what regular MGs did before. But LMGs have about double the range (correct me if I'm wrong), which actually makes them surprisingly safe to use and still very effective if boated. You can easily crit someone into oblivion from the safe cover of your friendly firing lines now it seems.

The only change I would propose right off the bat would be something like somehow tying the crit chance to the weapon range. Maybe have the weapon crit less often above a certain distance to the target. That way your exposed equipment may at least live longer when being plinged to death from way over yonder.
I know that the critical damage they deal is already directly tied to their weapon damage, meaning they deal less critical damage to equipment beyond their effective range already. But since MGs tend to travel in packs (mostly of 6 it seems), it doesn't really feel like there's a difference between having them between your legs or 400m away, in regards to the pace of your equipment evaporating.

That's my 2 Cents on the topic.

Edited by FunkyT, 29 August 2017 - 08:37 AM.

#13 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:38 AM

Posted Image

#14 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:39 AM

We were enjoying a higher TTK thanks to structure quirks+Survival skills. LMGs offer crit seeking at better range than previously. And light platforms that can boat them have the mobility and small stature to squirrel in and ruin someone's day. If I had to suggest a 'balancing' measure I would just say make them only crit at optimal range.

Edited by MechaBattler, 29 August 2017 - 08:39 AM.

#15 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 09:00 AM

View PostMechaBattler, on 29 August 2017 - 08:39 AM, said:

We were enjoying a higher TTK thanks to structure quirks+Survival skills. LMGs offer crit seeking at better range than previously. And light platforms that can boat them have the mobility and small stature to squirrel in and ruin someone's day. If I had to suggest a 'balancing' measure I would just say make them only crit at optimal range.

Or make the falloff affect the crit chance. Meaning 50% reduced damage also results in 50% reduced crit chance.

#16 Smites

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 09:08 AM

No.

No they are not.

Stop asking for MG nerfs!

#17 Athom83

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 09:12 AM

Seriously... did anyone who played years ago imagine that both the Urbanmech and MGs were being called "OP plz nerf"?

#18 GrimRiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationIf not here and not there, then where?

Posted 29 August 2017 - 10:04 AM

Funny how nobody was calling for MG nerf right before new tech and now we get MG's that have a bit of range on them suddenly become op.

Run 100% MG and no other weapons build and tell me how op they are.

Every MG build so far needs some sort of weapons working in conjunction like lasers, missiles or AC's to make them work.

And if a weapon(MG) needs other weapons(lasers/missiles/AC's) to work then does that still make it op since it needs help?

Still waiting on video proof that MG's are op.

#19 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 29 August 2017 - 10:09 AM

View PostLucifaust, on 29 August 2017 - 05:15 AM, said:

Never thought I'd say this. Never.

But they are. The rate at which these things destroy weapons is phenomenal. Even 1-2 of them is enough to strip a heavy of its firepower.

Balance them. Why do I bother PGI doesn't read this anyway

FINALLY MG ARE USEFUL!!!

LET IT BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Edited by Stefka Kerensky, 29 August 2017 - 10:10 AM.

#20 Cato Zilks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 698 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationPrinceton, NJ

Posted 29 August 2017 - 10:56 AM

View PostMechaBattler, on 29 August 2017 - 08:39 AM, said:

I am pretty strongly opposed to nerfing MG's in almost any way... but this idea has some promise. I would personally argue for linear reduction of crit chances from whatever they are at now (not sure what the current mechanic is). Something like a gradual reduction of crit chances from 100% of current crit rate at optimal down to 33% of current crit rate at max range. It incentivizes being in optimal range without harming the weapon to much.

But again this is my compromise position, I would also be ok if they just left MGs and LMGs alone.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users