Money! Real, hard cash!

#22 Paigan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 11:27 PM

View PostTiewolf, on 29 August 2017 - 12:37 PM, said:

All recent or future game design changes involves mechanics to drain our cbills.
1. skilltree = gigantic cbill sink
2. Stupid Consumable meta = cbill sink
3. 8v8 QP = less cbills for your game time
4. ...and so on and on

I get it that they try to sell premium time but my motivation to play the game drops with every new mechanic that forces me to grind more cbills. The more I am forced to grind the more I lose my fun to just play the game. So why all this forced cbill drain all of a sudden?

MWO throws ingame money at you like no other game.
You can't even actually lose stuff (like in EVE-Online, for example).
I have >400 Million piling up just by casual playing that I have no idea what to spend them on. No bragging, but an example for how ridiculously easy earning money in this game is.

If you don't drown in C-Bills, you have a spending disciplin problem, not an income or cost problem.
I have seen this countless times in the forums:
- People who buy a Mech, then sell it, then buy it back, then sell it again.
- People who try to buy "all the stuff" because they are locked in some kind of caveman primitive collector drive and think once they posses all the Mechs there are, the females will line up in front of their cave for mating (bad news: they won't. Any everyone else simple does not care how full a player's Mechbay is. It is completely irrelevant to anyone except the poor soul himself).

Learn to manage your money maturely and buy only that which you really need and want, then you will will have more money than you ever need.

Edited by Paigan, 29 August 2017 - 11:29 PM.

#23 Tiewolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 408 posts
  • LocationHessen

Posted 29 August 2017 - 11:45 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 29 August 2017 - 12:40 PM, said:

1) Skill Tree is actually good, it gives more diversity in your mechs.
2) Not PGI's fault, fault of idiots that need a crutch
3) This is actually good for the health of the game, quicker wait times, better match quality.

1. i like the skill tree too. But it is extremely expensive when you change loadouts. Then you have to spend waaaay more cbills then before.
2. The one who designs the game rules is always responsible, cause they create the meta. In this case pgi.
3. I am in
for the 8v8 idea. but it is a cbill drain and we all know that pgi won't compensate the cbill loss. More then 8v8 I want to see 10clan vs. 12is in FW.

#24 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 30 August 2017 - 01:00 AM

View PostJun Watarase, on 29 August 2017 - 12:42 PM, said:

The skill tree is much cheaper than buying and mastering 3 different mechs...

Once you get a few mechs kitted out and mastered you have pretty much nothing to spend c-bills on.

View PostJun Watarase, on 29 August 2017 - 12:42 PM, said:

The skill tree is much cheaper than buying and mastering 3 different mechs...

Once you get a few mechs kitted out and mastered you have pretty much nothing to spend c-bills on.

except that many people own the same mech multiple times especially for dropdeck reasons, so you still have to buy 2x the same mech yet buy the tree 2x. The old system made you have 3 mechs at the end, the new makes you have only 1.

#25 An Innocent Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 285 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 01:24 AM

PGI horrible they may be in Air strike logic!!

they are very generous:
  • they give CBILLS
  • they occasionally give MC
  • they occasionally give MechBay
  • they occasionally give WarHorns
  • they occasionally give Decals
  • they occasionally give Colors

HECK they even gave me a free MECH and that is the Linebacker which is an awesome one

#26 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,617 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 01:47 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 29 August 2017 - 12:40 PM, said:

2) Not PGI's fault, fault of idiots that need a crutch

PGI created/coded Airstrikes and Coolshots, upgraded the limit of both to two, how is it not their fault?
with your logic you could say skill tree is just for idiots that need a crutch.

and not really sure why I'm commenting dudes opinion about the game that he is not even playing.

#27 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 30 August 2017 - 11:01 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 29 August 2017 - 12:49 PM, said:

Yes I called them a crutch, as in I see people unable to play with out them. Me I don't care either way, as I hardly ever take damage from strikes... I'm constantly on the look out for red smoke... kind of a requirement for a light and medium mech pilot.

Just seems like every time you refer to anything that is currently being used by a lot of players, be it a weapon system, a specific 'mech, or consumables you are out front throwing around the word "crutch" like it's a shuriken.

#28 The Lighthouse

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 11:28 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 29 August 2017 - 08:12 PM, said:

It is a F2P game. Ofcourse there will be grind.

Yes, good thing that PGI decided that those skill trees should cost c-bills, effectively blocking me from buying new mechpacks because I have no cbills left to optimize new mechs.

I am still working on unskill mechs, yet I am not getting any decent amount of cbills due to skill tree cost and usual consumable. Basically I don't have to restrain myself from buying these mechpacks because currently there is zero point buying these mechpacks.

#29 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 11:34 AM

View PostThe Lighthouse, on 30 August 2017 - 11:28 AM, said:

Yes, good thing that PGI decided that those skill trees should cost c-bills, effectively blocking me from buying new mechpacks because I have no cbills left to optimize new mechs.

I am still working on unskill mechs, yet I am not getting any decent amount of cbills due to skill tree cost and usual consumable. Basically I don't have to restrain myself from buying these mechpacks because currently there is zero point buying these mechpacks.

You could like... stop using consumables until you're done skilling your 'mechs... Hell, I run without consumables pretty much all the time unless PGI has given me some free ones for some event.

#30 The Lighthouse

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 11:40 AM

View PostMole, on 30 August 2017 - 11:34 AM, said:

You could like... stop using consumables until you're done skilling your 'mechs... Hell, I run without consumables pretty much all the time unless PGI has given me some free ones for some event.

Actually I only use my UAV, like once in three games?

Despite that I am not getting any good amount of cbills. Say, I need at least 10 million per mech (for IS mechs with absolutely need engine, structure and double sink upgrade) I think I may be getting 30 million in next two months with this speed just for basic IS mechpack, a bit lower if it is Clan mechpack.

All of these versus mechpack sale nonsense, I rarely see PGI actually does mechpack sale in non major holidays. I am afraid such sales won't help unless they take care of the major reason why people have stopped buying mechpack.

#31 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 12:20 PM

View PostThe Lighthouse, on 30 August 2017 - 11:40 AM, said:

Actually I only use my UAV, like once in three games?

Despite that I am not getting any good amount of cbills. Say, I need at least 10 million per mech (for IS mechs with absolutely need engine, structure and double sink upgrade) I think I may be getting 30 million in next two months with this speed just for basic IS mechpack, a bit lower if it is Clan mechpack.

All of these versus mechpack sale nonsense, I rarely see PGI actually does mechpack sale in non major holidays. I am afraid such sales won't help unless they take care of the major reason why people have stopped buying mechpack.

Do I also need to point out that the early adopter bonus for buying a 'mechpack also includes 6.5 million CBills? You're free to do what you want with your money but I don't view "I don't have enough CBills to buy 'mechpacks" as a decent reason since, unless you are passing up the value of the early adopter rewards, you get CBills with the 'mech you've purchased. Personally, I never buy a 'mechpack unless it has the early adopter rewards. If I miss the early adopter bonus before I'm sure I want to buy it then I wait for CBill release.

#32 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 30 August 2017 - 12:22 PM

View PostThe Lighthouse, on 30 August 2017 - 11:28 AM, said:

That makes no sense.

1. Mech packs come with Premium Time, which should allow you to get C-Bills fast, for optimization. Clan mechs in addition generally do not need optimization on DHS and Endo/Ferro. Which means buying mechpacks actually helps you to customize mechs, since you wont have to spend C-Bills on buying mechs + you get PT.

2. In the previous skill tree you needed a lot of XP to optimize your mech, prompting you to play a lot of games until you master the mech variant. You are still required to play a lot of games to master a mech under the new skill tree, but during that time it is not hard to collect the 4 million C-Bills required. Average of 150,000 C-Bills per match will require only 27 matches, and with PT active, 150K is very easy to get.

3. You are no longer forced to buy 3 different variants to master a mech, so on many situations, you will actually save C-Bills. Bought a Warhawk-C the other night cause I needed a sniper mech. Didn't have to buy and then sell two more Warhawks like the old system, so that's over 10 million C-Bills saved, even deducting 91 skill node costs.

Edited by El Bandito, 30 August 2017 - 12:30 PM.

#33 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 01:08 PM

I've never bothered with mechpacks.

If you're F2P, generally an event's worth of C-bills is enough to get and work up one robot.

It's not like I need 3-6 variants of the same thing at once, given the grind.

#34 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,539 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 30 August 2017 - 01:19 PM

View PostPaigan, on 29 August 2017 - 11:27 PM, said:

You can't even actually lose stuff (like in EVE-Online, for example).

That really isn't a good point, because EVE is probably one of the few micro-transaction games that this even a thing. Most micro-transaction game do not allow you to loss progress.

View PostPaigan, on 29 August 2017 - 11:27 PM, said:

People who try to buy "all the stuff" because they are locked in some kind of caveman primitive collector drive and think once they posses all the Mechs there are, the females will line up in front of their cave for mating

Games that don't try to turn all of us into collectors are doing a bad job. Not to mention games like RS6:Seige and TF2 which allow you to attain almost everything if not everything with free currency (at crazy rates compared to for cash only currency) including cosmetics (which PGI has yet to take a page from).

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 30 August 2017 - 01:21 PM.

#35 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,539 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 30 August 2017 - 01:24 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 30 August 2017 - 12:22 PM, said:

3. You are no longer forced to buy 3 different variants to master a mech, so on many situations, you will actually save C-Bills. Bought a Warhawk-C the other night cause I needed a sniper mech. Didn't have to buy and then sell two more Warhawks like the old system, so that's over 10 million C-Bills saved, even deducting 91 skill node costs.

There is a problem with this, for example what if I want a duplicate of that specific variant? Under the old skill tree, if I had the Warhawk C mastered, all of them were (minus modules). Under the current skill tree, each instance of a mech has to be leveled, meaning duplicates became A LOT more expensive to deal with (because they cost XP as well to level rather than just c-bills for modules and the mech).

#36 The Lighthouse

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 01:24 PM

View PostMole, on 30 August 2017 - 12:20 PM, said:

Do I also need to point out that the early adopter bonus for buying a 'mechpack also includes 6.5 million CBills? You're free to do what you want with your money but I don't view "I don't have enough CBills to buy 'mechpacks" as a decent reason since, unless you are passing up the value of the early adopter rewards, you get CBills with the 'mech you've purchased. Personally, I never buy a 'mechpack unless it has the early adopter rewards. If I miss the early adopter bonus before I'm sure I want to buy it then I wait for CBill release.

You don't need to point out that early adopter bonus comes with 6.5 million Cbills because it is not even usually enough for upgrading a single mech, let alone 3+ variants.

View PostEl Bandito, on 30 August 2017 - 12:22 PM, said:

That makes no sense.

1. Mech packs come with Premium Time, which should allow you to get C-Bills fast, for optimization. Clan mechs in addition generally do not need optimization on DHS and Endo/Ferro. Which means buying mechpacks actually helps you to customize mechs, since you wont have to spend C-Bills on buying mechs + you get PT.

2. In the previous skill tree you needed a lot of XP to optimize your mech, prompting you to play a lot of games until you master the mech variant. You are still required to play a lot of games to master a mech under the new skill tree, but during that time it is not hard to collect the 4 million C-Bills required. Average of 150,000 C-Bills per match will require only 27 matches, and with PT active, 150K is very easy to get.

1. Yes I have two years of Premium time, but I guess you can say that. Indeed Clan mechs may save me money, I even mentioned in my own comment. But again, like 65% of mechs available are IS mechs so this is only half-right at best. And then there are IIC mechs and non-omni mechs that also need some costy upgrades.

2. It is not hard to collect 4 million C-bills for a single mech, now try 50+.

3. Good thing mechpack allows me to buy a single variant!

#37 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 02:13 PM

View PostThe Lighthouse, on 30 August 2017 - 01:24 PM, said:

2. It is not hard to collect 4 million C-bills for a single mech, now try 50+.

Hold on. You had 50+ unmastered 'mechs sitting around before the skill tree dropped? Either that or you've bought 50+ 'mechs since the skill tree dropped. If that's the case, now we know where your money is going. If that's not the case, why on earth didn't you master them before the skill tree dropped? If you did, then you are apparently not aware that you get "historical SP" for every 'mech you mastered prior to the release of the skill tree which allows you to skill all of those 'mechs up to the full 91 skill nodes for no charge, and I am going to laugh at you.

#38 Nemesis Duck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 02:16 PM

I think PGI wants your cbills for the same reason why stagnant money is not good for an economy. Dynamism.

#39 The Lighthouse

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 02:18 PM

View PostMole, on 30 August 2017 - 02:13 PM, said:

Hold on. You had 50+ unmastered 'mechs sitting around before the skill tree dropped? Either that or you've bought 50+ 'mechs since the skill tree dropped. If that's the case, now we know where your money is going. If that's not the case, why on earth didn't you master them before the skill tree dropped? If you did, then you are apparently not aware that you get "historical SP" for every 'mech you mastered prior to the release of the skill tree which allows you to skill all of those 'mechs up to the full 91 skill nodes for no charge, and I am going to laugh at you.

Yes, I bought a lot of mechs before this skill tree was being mentioned in last Mech Con in 2016.

I have limited time, and I just can't play this game all day to farm cbills, despite I actually play this game like crazy right now before I have to leave and unable to access my main computer again, for several months. But still I don't think I am going to master all of the mechs before the mid-september.

#40 Tiewolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 408 posts
  • LocationHessen

Posted 30 August 2017 - 04:16 PM

View PostNemesis Duck, on 30 August 2017 - 02:16 PM, said:

I think PGI wants your cbills for the same reason why stagnant money is not good for an economy. Dynamism.

There is no real economy in MWO cause there is no economic interaction between players or dynamism. Just linear grind.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users