70 replies to this topic

#41 Admiral-Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 578 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 02:14 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 31 August 2017 - 01:36 AM, said:

See you made a few not so good decisions leading to your death. never go withotu rear armor.

I didn’t go without rear armor, I spend 4 to my rear that’s 17%. How many of a total of 24 do you think should I spend?

#42 Chados

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 31 August 2017 - 02:24 AM

It's getting silly. I got nailed by like six strikes in a row last night in one match. Even when you see the smoke and try to get out of the radius, it's impossible unless your mech moves at over 100 kph, and usually they're placed behind you or in cover where you don't see it til after it hits. I was seeing new smoke popping up while the last one was exploding-used to be that wasn't possible, thee was a team-wide global cooldown on strikes.

#43 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 02:55 AM

View PostCol Jaime Wolf, on 31 August 2017 - 12:02 AM, said:

I will tell you why strikes (and coolshots too kinda) are broken, and need to be removed, not nerfed, not toned down but straight up removed from the game.

you know why? because i have 161 mechs right now and every single one of them is either running dual airstrikes, not artys but airstrikes and only airstrikes.... or is gettin dual airstrikes as i get around to skilling them proper, also every single one of them that needs even 1 coolshot gets 2 without question.

And it has nothing to do with "wohoo i got 400+ free damage from strikes" and everything to do with the fact that they are in fact a mandatory prerequisite and YOU ARE gimping your team if you dont bring those 4 consumables to every match (dual gauss mechs aside).

That in a word is complete and utter ********, because its not optional those 9 skill points into auxilary are not "give and take" or "take a bit of this for a tradoff over here" in any kind of way, its ******* mandatory and that is BS.

The difference between 'you have to take this to have equal odds of winning and you have to spend extra on it' and 'pay to win' is largely semantics.

P2W is about spending more money to get a significant, all but required advantage to be really competitive. Saying 'Well, I can potato just the same without them' isn't an argument about P2W - because you're not paying, you're just also not winning. Conversely saying 'I suck so bad even with them I lose a lot' is just saying that even a P2W benefit isn't enough to help you.

In a competitive environment a perk you have to purchase (and it does come down to real money - you have to have premium time going to afford to use flush/strike as often as required to be on an even footing) is a P2W mechanic.

Consumables have always been bad. The skill tree has just kicked them up a notch.

#44 Clownwarlord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:05 AM

Well ... it looks like you need more butt protection. Simpler terms put more armor on you rear side torso and rear torso. After that don't turn your back to an air strike it will **** you.

#45 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:30 AM

Hey I was sneaked up to enemy drop zone with the dakka Mist Lynx in FP, and killed an Awesome from behind with those 8 LMGs as he was about 2 minutes late to rest of his team. I didnt even have P2W ECM.

Nice stuff sometimes happen, but it's rare.

#46 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:41 AM

You turned your weakest side into the strike's line of explosions and ate at least two direct hits to your back. You broke the fundamental light rule and stopped moving long enough to have someone set up a strike aimed precisely at your face, then turned away rather than either jumping or reversing to take as much of the damage forwards as possible.

Someone predicted your response perfectly. You are now scrap metal. Your redsmoke user appreciates this and will extend his grind further by burning more C-bill consumables, thereby pushing the spend-to-kill meta further, faster.

I still say let me put long tom, thunder missles and Arrow IV's on my mech, no more of this giltoss nonsense this is mechwarrior if we need artillery to flush campers or punish deathballs why cant we just equip these weapons instead of this nonsense?

Because PGI cannot into split-crit weapons, rendering AIV's and arty cannons impossible. (Thunderbolt missiles are basically single-big-missile LRMs, with the expectable AMS reaming resulting in poor effectiveness)

#47 Admiral-Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 578 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 04:34 AM

View PostClownwarlord, on 31 August 2017 - 03:05 AM, said:

After that don't turn your back to an air strike it will **** you.

View PostBrain Cancer, on 31 August 2017 - 03:41 AM, said:

You turned your weakest side into the strike's line of explosions

The bombs fall in a line so there is no real front or back in these line because the bombs fall before you and after you so you always have bombs in your back.
I tried to escape in a 90 Degree angle from the estimated path but that didn’t worked well. I think running or standing on these line either faced to the smoke or from the smoke isn’t a good plan either.

#48 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 04:37 AM

Someone predicted your response perfectly. You are now scrap metal. Your redsmoke user appreciates this and will extend his grind further by burning more C-bill consumables, thereby pushing the spend-to-kill meta further, faster.

Im pretty sure he was not seen, that strike was aimed againts the heavy or assult to right of him.

#49 Admiral-Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 578 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 04:46 AM

Because PGI cannot into split-crit weapons, rendering AIV's and arty cannons impossible.

Sadly that’s not true. Clan Arrow IV has 12 Critical Slots so if PGI want to have more artillery in the game it’s not impossible.

#50 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 05:07 AM

The bombs fall in a line so there is no real front or back in these line because the bombs fall before you and after you so you always have bombs in your back.
I tried to escape in a 90 Degree angle from the estimated path but that didn’t worked well. I think running or standing on these line either faced to the smoke or from the smoke isn’t a good plan either.

If you'd reversed, given the distance from the smoke you'd have probably eaten the last two shots in the line to your frontal armor and probably only a partial hit from one. Turning 90 degrees guaranteed that you were going to get everything to your (justifiably) near-zero back armor and left you in the middle of the explosions. If you'd jumped backwards, you'd have probably taken partial damage to boot thanks to having more distance from ground zero.

Sadly that’s not true. Clan Arrow IV has 12 Critical Slots so if PGI want to have more artillery in the game it’s not impossible.

Queue the instant screaming the second Clan got something like the Naga and the IS gets nothing.

#51 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 31 August 2017 - 05:14 AM

View PostAlphaEtOmega, on 31 August 2017 - 02:14 AM, said:

I didn’t go without rear armor, I spend 4 to my rear that’s 17%. How many of a total of 24 do you think should I spend?

One of the rules as a light mech is to never stop, if you do so, no strike will hit your back unnoticed.
But ther eis a reasonw hy most 20t lights aren't sued, it is that they are too fragile when it comes to any of these things.

Maybe PGi could change artillery strike to do less damage but increase the amount of shells and bomb an area for a longer time giving a longer window of possibility to escape.

However, what I suspect is that your ammo blew up, unfortunately the end screen doesn'T show what else happened as it isn't even able to list everything that blew up.

#52 Admiral-Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 578 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 05:23 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 31 August 2017 - 05:14 AM, said:

However, what I suspect is that your ammo blew up, unfortunately the end screen doesn'T show what else happened as it isn't even able to list everything that blew up.

All amo is stored in the arms and legs.
The MLX-G with 4xLaser doesn’t have any space left in the torsos.

#53 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 05:33 AM

Lol. Strikes don't win the game for the same reason lrms don't

A bunch of unfocused spread damage is no comparison to having two laser boats and a gauss-mech pointed at something.

Strikes are really more about the panic they create, but that isn't a good reason to neuter them. Y'all q.q over anything that is remotely effective. Pretty soon we'll be using rubber bullets.

#54 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 05:58 AM

The difference is the missile boat has to expose themselves (or someone else does) for significant time, while the guys spamming strikes have minimal exposure.

Oh, and LRMs cost tonnage. Lots of it. Mind you, I don't view arty as getting neutered. It's a big fat boom carrot, and every topic we get with footage of people being wrecked by RNGesus and the Stark Fist of Torso Removal just makes it look even sweeter.

#55 MarcusAvron

Rookie

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 08:33 AM

I feel like reporting some of these posts for illiteracy. The guy has stated multiple times that he is running, what I feel is, adequate armor for a 25 tonner.

I don't feel like strikes themselves have to be nerfed, but a more appropriate global cooldown should be put into effect. The fact that you can spam these is ridiculous. Also, what kind of sense does it make to be able to pop smoke from across the map? Like, how did the smoke get 700 meters instantly?

#56 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 01 September 2017 - 03:04 AM

View PostMarcusAvron, on 31 August 2017 - 08:33 AM, said:

I feel like reporting some of these posts for illiteracy. The guy has stated multiple times that he is running, what I feel is, adequate armor for a 25 tonner.

I don't feel like strikes themselves have to be nerfed, but a more appropriate global cooldown should be put into effect. The fact that you can spam these is ridiculous. Also, what kind of sense does it make to be able to pop smoke from across the map? Like, how did the smoke get 700 meters instantly?

the red smoke is there for quite some time, So when he is running he must have seen the smoke or wasn't actually running from the beginning. if you are in a light running you will see the red smoke and then nto run throufh it, and the pics show quite clearly that the strike is close behind him.

Edited by Lily from animove, 01 September 2017 - 03:04 AM.

#57 Mechwarrior1441491

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 04:35 AM

View PostOldbob10025, on 30 August 2017 - 03:52 PM, said:

I use my stealth raven and drop two long arty strikes(full nodes) on groups of people and do massive damage before the assaults get there. I dont think PGI knew the effect that air and arty strikes would do to the game but they are fun and make a unit think about grouping in a murderball Posted Image

There is no way they didn't know. I imagine they have played other games. They were on their failed crusade to try and create an ingame economy. In reality, who cares about C-Bill sinks. You WANT players to get new mechs ASAP. Perhaps there was a vision of applying them to role warfare which, as we know it, was a pipe dream.

The truth is....the direction of this game was probably plotted out on a napkin and then was used to clean up a slurpy drip of chocolate cake.

#58 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 05:13 AM

This is precisely why Strike damage should be modified by weight class. Strike hits an assault and it's a minor annoyance. Strike hits a light and it can 1-shot you.

By making them do adjustable damage you maintain their current role of countering deathballs without crippling healthy mediums and lights whenever they get hit.

Edited by Jman5, 01 September 2017 - 05:14 AM.

#59 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 05:32 AM

Lots of things can one shot lights. Low hitpoints are low.

#60 An Innocent Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 285 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:06 AM

Airstrike/Artillery Strike: the thing you use when you are compensating for something

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users