#1 Natred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 716 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWest Texas

Posted 31 August 2017 - 07:17 PM

This is supposes to be a futuristic militartistic war game simulation not paddycake warrior online 1990 nostalgia ding ding dong.

They call it a WARhorn for a reason, to instil fear in the opposition for their impending doom and rally your teamates to victory.

If i wanted to play paddy cake tea party I would prolly go play tetris, roboblox or minecraft.

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 31 August 2017 - 07:44 PM

What better way to break the enemy's morale by playing Lunchtruck Warhorn during MS 12-man Crab rushes? Posted Image

And MWO is far from sim. It is just a mech skinned FPShooty game that needs more money.

Edited by El Bandito, 31 August 2017 - 07:49 PM.

#3 N0ni

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 31 August 2017 - 08:08 PM

Some like silly stuff, others don't. *shrug*

Personally i want something like this to either give a good laugh or nightmare fuel:

#4 Trenchbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 09:29 PM

I laugh at the fact you're implying that silly things "aren't Battletech lore", when there's literally a canon Eradini Light Horse Banshee-piloting Mechwarrior that put a giant Jester cap on his Banshee and Clown makeup. And the "Heavy Metal" Highlander, which also blasts heavy metal from the speakers in canon.

I mean, hell, look up a picture of a Clan Hell's Horses warrior. The person's wearing freaking High Heels and a mohawk.

Edited by Catten Hart, 31 August 2017 - 09:31 PM.

#5 kesmai

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPirate's Bay

Posted 31 August 2017 - 10:24 PM

View PostCatten Hart, on 31 August 2017 - 09:29 PM, said:

I laugh at the fact you're implying that silly things "aren't Battletech lore", when there's literally a canon Eradini Light Horse Banshee-piloting Mechwarrior that put a giant Jester cap on his Banshee and Clown makeup. And the "Heavy Metal" Highlander, which also blasts heavy metal from the speakers in canon.

I mean, hell, look up a picture of a Clan Hell's Horses warrior. The person's wearing freaking High Heels and a mohawk.

Even in early days this franchise sometimes took it self less seriously that some players do now or think it is.

Edited by kesmai, 31 August 2017 - 10:32 PM.

#6 SnagaDance

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 01 September 2017 - 12:06 AM

I'll also refer to Camacho's Cabelleros. The merc unit featured in three books where each warrior likes to customize his own mech. There's one that has stuffed animals and toys stuck to the entire outside of the mech! (these get diligently replaced after combat damage)

#7 iLLcapitan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 654 posts
  • LocationBirdhouse

Posted 01 September 2017 - 12:22 AM

SHUT UP THE RETRO ARCADE WARHORN IS THE BEST THING EVER I NEED 10 MOAR

#8 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 01:22 AM

View PostCatten Hart, on 31 August 2017 - 09:29 PM, said:

Not only are those noted, few exceptions from the norm, it has also nothing to do with the vapid popculture referencing and cheesy jingles we have in MWO. That heavy metal Highlander is blasting, you guessed it, heavy metal on the battlefield, not a Gameboy jingle. And I don't think you will any canon evidence for lit molotov cocktails placed in the cockpit during a combat situation. (Yeah, because, if there's one thing you want in the crew compartment of a fighting vehicle in combat it's a molotov cocktail about to burn you).

And it is certainly not an argument against actual lore-based cockpit items. Again, if you want to decorate your cockpit with ice cream and if you want to play cheesy jingles, you can do it. There is more than enough of it. But why can't I have a cockpit item from the actual BattleTech lore - in a BattleTech game?

#9 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 01 September 2017 - 03:24 AM

View PostNatred, on 31 August 2017 - 07:17 PM, said:

This is supposes to be a futuristic militartistic war game simulation not paddycake warrior online 1990 nostalgia ding ding dong.

They call it a WARhorn for a reason, to instil fear in the opposition for their impending doom and rally your teamates to victory.

If i wanted to play paddy cake tea party I would prolly go play tetris, roboblox or minecraft.

When most of the players are stuck playing peek a boo and are unable or unwilling to break out of that, you choose meaningless sounds to rally against?

#10 Steve Pryde

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,467 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 September 2017 - 04:02 AM

Especially the new warhorns are kinda bad. Would be good for a possibility to turn them off.

Really anoying these days.

#11 Natred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 716 posts
  • LocationWest Texas

Posted 01 September 2017 - 04:52 AM

I have read atleast 15 books and never have I read anything about mech pilots strapping useless crap to the outside of their mechs.

Edited by Natred, 01 September 2017 - 04:53 AM.

#12 Vincent DIFrancesco

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 167 posts
  • LocationHiding behind a rock, waiting for the "rain" to stop.

Posted 01 September 2017 - 05:29 AM

Immersion for a FPS... heh.

I guess the next step is RP matchmaking. "REMOVE THAT WARHORN! YOURE BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL!"

#13 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 05:42 AM

The problem with warhorns is in general that they completely ruin immersion.
All of them are completely unrealistic (where does that sound come all of a sudden?) and some are even not more than joke sounds.

It's an acustical equivalent like Mechs running around painted as a cookie or a bunny or as Santa Clause.

And sorry, all you "that's just your opinion" guys: This is NOT an opinion. It is an OBJECTIVE observation. Some sounds ARE joke sounds and all of them ARE unrealistic. Opinion is that some people say they are not bothered by that immersion break or that they even like it. That is okay. But the immersion break of a disco sound or an egypt sound or whatever on a sci-fi military battlefield is objective, not subjective.

As a consequence, I'm surprisingly hardly bothered by how bad most of them are. They turn the whole game into an immersionless joke, anyway. It's just some childish game-noise that one has to bear while playing.

Edited by Paigan, 01 September 2017 - 05:43 AM.

#14 Natred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 716 posts
  • LocationWest Texas

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:22 AM

I really enjoy most of the war horns and think they are a great fit in the mwo atmosphere. The latest one with all the clans or inner sphere logos.. come on compared to the old clan dagger or inner sphere gray one they are not Even close to as good.

#15 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:29 AM

View PostPaigan, on 01 September 2017 - 05:42 AM, said:

And sorry, all you "that's just your opinion" guys: This is NOT an opinion. It is an OBJECTIVE observation. Some sounds ARE joke sounds and all of them ARE unrealistic. Opinion is that some people say they are not bothered by that immersion break or that they even like it. That is okay. But the immersion break of a disco sound or an egypt sound or whatever on a sci-fi military battlefield is objective, not subjective.

i did not know you wrote the rules of what is ok for Sci-fi..

all i see is lack of imagination here.. who is to say some archaeologist didn't dig up some old music on some data disk and decide to put it into a war horn.. In a world with space travel between worlds, that for us would take 40k years just to get to the nearest sun, yet it takes week, and breaks all laws of reactivity.. a war horn is where it looses you?

I'm sorry, but that has to be one of the funniest things i've read on these boards in a while.

A giant air horn, or speaker on a mech blasting a sound, on a 100 foot tall robot? how is that unrealistic.. I can do that in my car right now.. and could of done it 60+ years ago.. Some how that basic tech gets lost in 1k years?

Edited by JC Daxion, 01 September 2017 - 07:31 AM.

#16 Burke IV

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:38 AM

Is there a dixie warhorn? If not there should be :)

#17 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,539 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:42 AM

View PostNatred, on 01 September 2017 - 04:52 AM, said:

I have read atleast 15 books and never have I read anything about mech pilots strapping useless crap to the outside of their mechs.

It depends on the era those books are from, the early era (3025 purist heaven) is more like Fallout, where you would see all sorts of crap (like the Pack from the Nuka-Cola DLC in Fallout 4).

The more modern (3050+) era started to reduce the goofier side of the post apocalyptic-esque feel of the 3025 era and went to a more serious lore.

That said, the radio warhorns are a step in the right direction. Now imagine if the voice lines were attached to different pilots (so they would be attached to the pilot model) and actually had different voices and variations of the line depending on that pilot. Now that would be better than a majority of the warhorns (and would making steps towards games like Overwatch with taunt lines and such).

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 01 September 2017 - 06:44 AM.

#18 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:34 AM

View PostBurke IV, on 01 September 2017 - 06:38 AM, said:

Is there a dixie warhorn? If not there should be Posted Image

heh.. Personally i'd like to have a steam whistle.. Woooooo, whoooooo. A fog horn would be cool toooo. Or what about that horn that they use in the alps, Or those Sticks the aubergines use in Australia.

View PostiLLcapitan, on 01 September 2017 - 12:22 AM, said:

SHUT UP THE RETRO ARCADE WARHORN IS THE BEST THING EVER I NEED 10 MOAR

Pacman dying sound Posted Image

#19 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:56 AM

*rolls eyes* God you people will complain about any damn thing.

#20 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:22 AM

Warhorns were silly from the beginning, obviously designed just for being able to sell them. Not to male the game better.
When I started, I first was annoyed by how cheaply the game is trying to include some gold currency sinks, and later got kind of used to them. I’m still struggling putting mine on my Mechs (I do sometimes since I have them anyway) because it feels stupid and embarrassing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users