What If You Needed Targeting Computer For Strikes?

18 replies to this topic

#1 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 09:23 AM

I was pondering this the other day with all the nerf crys. Now, i'm not one to cry nerf, but i can see them happening and usually don't have an issue with it. But as i've been playing longer under the tree, i am noticing that all my mechs that i did not have Double Strikes on in the first place, I was tweaking by moving 5 points into strikes. To me this says, maybe they are a bit to strong.

At the same time, i do like how they work, and they do damage, can kill mechs, Stop camping/deathball, or at least discourage it which i think is a good thing. A slight reduction in damage perhaps, or cooldown increase are the obvious things to change as seen in many threads.

Instead of the obvious, i started thinking outside the box,. What if you needed a targeting computer to use more than one, or maybe even use them in the first place? Lights and mediums use t1. (lots of mediums are kinda low on weight anyway) then heavies/assaults which run out of space, the t2 is going to mean a tweak to build, but not destroy a build so to speak.

the one issue i have with the need to use option are the very light mechs, like 20-25 tonners, they just have so little wiggle room, so maybe bellow a certain tonnage they don't need one to just use a single strike? (should a locust need to drop a couple small lasers just to use them? Should a commando need to drop a ton of ammo, when they are kinda ammo starved anyway? A few things to think about.

So the question i propose, Should a targeting computer be needed to use them? Should a targeting computer be needed to use more than one? Or should they be just nerfed a bit?

I kinda like the idea of the TC needing to be used, what do you guys think?

#2 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 09:30 AM

not sure, right now AirStrikes seem to be the primary money maker for lights,
making them need a TC wail would be easy to find room for larger mechs is much harder for lights,

perhaps just increase the time before the strike hits(right now its 8 seconds)
bringing that up to 10-12 seconds would help lights get out of the way, but still leave larger mech vulnerable,

#3 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 02 September 2017 - 09:33 AM

Good idea.

At least there'd be some 'build cost' to strikes, instead of them being free incremental damage.

Another idea which I like even more would be for them to be placeable only by holding TAG on a spot for a few seconds.

Or, shoot a beacon that lands on the ground (like a NARC beacon).

Again, in all these scenarios, you need to spend some tonnage to get the benefit. That's been a fundamental principle of BT/MW for as long as I can remember.

Edited by Appogee, 02 September 2017 - 09:37 AM.

#4 Fleeb the Mad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 441 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 09:45 AM

Logically a TAG or a NARC would be the most sensible ways to target airstrikes or artillery since they're, you know, dedicated targeting aids.

Though I'd go so far as to say that a TAG would need to be held on target until the strike drops. Or include scatter if the TAG is let go too early. It is rather low investment compared to a NARC.

Both would also nix the infinite range 'feature' that currently allows strikes to be dropped well outside weapon range.

Of course, I'd also force people who wanted cool shots to equip a coolant pod on their mech as well...

#5 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 09:49 AM

couldn't do tag, as many mechs don't have energy location. You can't just stop mechs from using them because they lack hard points

#6 LT. HARDCASE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 02 September 2017 - 09:53 AM

So a 1 ton investment, for a potential 600+ damage?

People would do that without blinking.

#7 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 10:21 AM

View PostLT. HARDCASE, on 02 September 2017 - 09:53 AM, said:

So a 1 ton investment, for a potential 600+ damage?

People would do that without blinking.

unless your a light, at which point it becomes a hard choice,
which i why i feel this concept wouldnt work, as lights need that extra Strike damage to compete,

#8 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 02 September 2017 - 11:01 AM

Just give only Lights and Mediums the option to use Strikes. Voila, better class balance.

#9 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 02 September 2017 - 11:09 AM

B-but ... how about the ... command console?

#10 Lux Monolithic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 203 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 11:18 AM

Just make it so you can only carry one. Two is ridiculous. Potential 24 artillery/strikes? Seriously? There should be a maximum of around 6 or so for each match in total.

Edited by Illuminous Owl, 02 September 2017 - 11:20 AM.

#11 Alex Morgaine

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 11:29 AM

TC should have been used for auto convergence, if the programming could handle it. idea simply-
clan TC @ 5 tons of weapons per ton of TC
IS TC @ 4 tons of weapons per ton of TC

if no TC, then all weapons fire directly forward, or arm mounted units fire directly forward based off arm position.
if you have a TC and fire weapons, if tonnage of active weapons is less then the TC, they auto converge on your crosshairs perfectly, if weapon weight goes over the TC limit, they do not converge. there now you can keep your auto pixel skill stuff.
CC could have been like a TC 3.5 or something.

adding in C3 units:
if you are targetting the same unit as a C3 unit with both in line of sight, you can converge all weapons as if using a TC. does not work without line of sight. C3 slave only works in lance. C3 master can work with any C3 on the field. C3M is one ton and slot less due to TAG being a seperate part. iC3 equipment... I dont know what at the moment.

#12 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 02 September 2017 - 11:45 AM

View PostAppogee, on 02 September 2017 - 09:33 AM, said:

Or, shoot a beacon that lands on the ground (like a NARC beacon).

You mean like a red smoke cannister

#13 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 12:42 PM

Consider that thirty remote sensors that can be dispensed and then used to spot targets for artillery in TT weigh half a ton. Including the dispenser. Just sayin'.

#14 The Lighthouse

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 01:05 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 02 September 2017 - 11:01 AM, said:

Just give only Lights and Mediums the option to use Strikes. Voila, better class balance.

This is actually a good idea.

#15 Accused

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 989 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 01:52 PM

lol, we said this since it first came out. Why else have a targeting computer? Usually it's followed by, "what if only lights can use tag or narc" or "what if only targeting computers could show the rest of the team the enemy" or "what if only the group commander can call in strikes" etc etc

#16 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 02 September 2017 - 02:11 PM

View PostEscef, on 02 September 2017 - 11:45 AM, said:

You mean like a red smoke cannister

Your thoughtful logic has NO PLACE here!

;)

#17 Sierra3

• PipPip
  • The Deputy
  • The Deputy
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 03:06 PM

View PostAccused, on 02 September 2017 - 01:52 PM, said:

lol, we said this since it first came out. Why else have a targeting computer? Usually it's followed by, "what if only lights can use tag or narc" or "what if only targeting computers could show the rest of the team the enemy" or "what if only the group commander can call in strikes" etc etc

What if...
1.) Each Lance Commander could call in a strike once per match.
2.) Each Company/Group Commander could call in a strike once per match.
3.) All/any resulting experience/C-Bills from strike is split/divided among Lance members equipped with strikes (if strike from Lance Commander).
4.) All/any resulting experience/C-Bills from strike is split/divided among Company/Group members equipped with strikes (if strike from Company/Group Commander).
5.) Lance must contain at least one mech equipped with a strike in order for Lance Commander to call in.
6.) Company/Group must contain at least five strikes equipped in order for Company/Group Commander to call in.
7.) Each Lance/Company Commander equipped with a command console (or Clan equivalent) may call in an additional strike as long as additional strikes are equipped by Lance/Company members (refer to above).
8.) Maximum number of strikes per side in a match should be ten.
9.) Equipped Strikes are drawn randomly from those equipped by mechs in Lance/Company.
10.) Type of strike called in is chosen by Lance/Company Commander from those strikes equipped by Lance/Company members.

Just a thought experiment.

#18 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 02 September 2017 - 03:14 PM

View PostAppogee, on 02 September 2017 - 02:11 PM, said:

Your thoughtful logic has NO PLACE here!

Posted Image

Trust me, I noticed.

#19 Insanity09

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 551 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 09:32 PM

What if you got no damage score (and thus no c-bill/xp/match score) based on strikes, but you still got kills and assists from it?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users