Recruit-A-Friend!

31 replies to this topic

#1 Smites

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 09:43 AM

Greetings MechWarriors. Got a simple idea for everyone today. Since PGI doesn't seem to advertise this game much and piloting giant robots and blowing up other giant robots is somehow a niche market what if they implemented a recruit-a-friend program like most other games have?

The rewards could be, for both the veteran and his friend(s), a few mechs that they both own, some MC to get them to hopefully spend money on this game, some c-bills, etc. Nothing big or Paulconomy™ shattering but it could be good to grow the community.

What does everyone think? Would you bring any friends to... THIS game? Would they stay if you did? What would be a good reward program?

#2 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 03 September 2017 - 09:59 AM

I don't have any friends.

#3 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,715 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 03 September 2017 - 10:22 AM

Unfortunately for us MWo is a bit to "sophisticated" for the average human.
Ninety percent of the people I have tried to recruit have told me this.
"It's too complicated."
Yeah I know wow.
They prefer a more simplistic type game.
Sad commentary on humans huh.

#4 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 03 September 2017 - 10:39 AM

I would love one TBH. I actually have been (slowly) getting friends to start playing, and one of them even likes it enough to be fine with dropping in group queue with me to get stomped on, just because he enjoys mech combat that much. So, yeah, I'm all for it.

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 03 September 2017 - 09:59 AM, said:

Have you heard of Clan Diamond Shark's "Rent-A-Friend!TM" program? For reasonable rates, you can have between 1-10 people hang out with you, any day of the week. For a small additional payment, you can even have them occasionally call you and ask you to go to events with them, all without your own input!

But seriously, everyone has friends, you included. Don't be so gloomy. :P

#5 Smites

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 10:50 AM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 03 September 2017 - 09:59 AM, said:

You're my friend! and one of my buddies speaks highly of you, too.

#6 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 03 September 2017 - 10:58 AM

MS is running our own version of recruit a friend, where you get 300 MC for everyone you have recruited into the unit. We got 17 planets in our pockets so there are plenty of MC to go around. Posted Image

Edited by El Bandito, 03 September 2017 - 10:13 PM.

#7 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 03 September 2017 - 11:07 AM

The ones that want to, don't have a PC worth playing the game on, and are not likely to own one that could play it well.

The ones that do have no interest.

#8 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 03 September 2017 - 11:18 AM

View PostCathy, on 03 September 2017 - 11:07 AM, said:

The ones that want to, don't have a PC worth playing the game on, and are not likely to own one that could play it well.

With luck, 8v8 will go live after PTR test, and many more players can afford to play this game with reasonable FPS. Russ did say they are considering it.

Edited by El Bandito, 03 September 2017 - 11:20 AM.

#9 Jiyu Mononoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 251 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 12:29 PM

.. If chat -&- community tools were better ... then ya, I'd entice them to come... But most of my friends played games like WoW, and Eve, where socialization is a key element, and they would go play some other FP-Shooter game over this one because of complexity and lacking any interpersonal communication tools to balance it out. Either want simple straight forward "pew pew", or want a solid balanced game with complexities and socialization tools in tandem to enable a better gaming experience as a whole. The few serious MechWarrior friends I have are already here, because it's MechWarrior, and because there are not a lot of other choices... PGI really needs to create community tools that enable new players to feel that they have an identity in game, and can identify their friends (profiles), and have ways to interact and exchange info/ideas/strategies and tactics inside the game itself. - I sadly don't see PGI ever addressing this, and we will all simply be little anonymous names in a list of lost and unknown souls.

#10 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 04:21 PM

The problem is (imo) that that game is complex to just sit back and be an arena shooter. There's a lot of other and better options for people that aren't already fans of the MW/BT franchise.

The stalemate on playerbase growth is a primarily a direct result of PGI never developing any game depth.

#11 Jackofallpots

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 219 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 04:23 PM

My friends recruited me to this game like 6 years ago and then promptly stopped playing. Which I find irksome because I got a new computer just so I could play with them. Posted Image

#12 ocular tb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 543 posts
  • LocationCaught Somewhere in Time

Posted 03 September 2017 - 04:34 PM

I found this game through a guy I used to work with in late 2013. We played together a few times but he just wasn't into it nearly as much as me. He left for another job a few months later and that was that. I did get another friend to play but he didn't stick with it either. It wasn't because they thought it was a bad game, I just think with the level of complexity and with real life stuff it just wasn't something they could or wanted to commit to. Very few people I ever talk to know about the franchise let alone MWO. I try to get people to play but nobody seems interested unfortunately.

#13 N0ni

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 03 September 2017 - 04:38 PM

The only problem with "Recruit-A-Friend" and having rewards tiers and points going to those tiers is the fact that it would Day 1 be abused with throwaway accounts to get the rewards on your main account.

APB: Reloaded had a similar "Refer-A-Friend" program and it was shutdown because of the above. Sometimes we just can't have nice things.

#14 Thorqemada

• 6,368 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 05:25 PM

I alienated my Friends luring them into MWO..a long time ago...

#15 Smites

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 05:31 PM

View PostN0ni, on 03 September 2017 - 04:38 PM, said:

The only problem with "Recruit-A-Friend" and having rewards tiers and points going to those tiers is the fact that it would Day 1 be abused with throwaway accounts to get the rewards on your main account.

APB: Reloaded had a similar "Refer-A-Friend" program and it was shutdown because of the above. Sometimes we just can't have nice things.

I think that risk would be worth it even if the game only gained a few thousand active players. Most other games seem to accept that just to get people who'll spend money either to buy the game or on premium content.

#16 Sagamore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 September 2017 - 05:57 PM

My friends want me to play Overwatch with them but won't return the favour and play MWO. Go figure.

#17 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 06:08 PM

View PostSmites, on 03 September 2017 - 09:43 AM, said:

What does everyone think? Would you bring any friends to... THIS game? Would they stay if you did? What would be a good reward program?

Based on how many posts I have seen over the years of players saying they tried to get their friends to join only to watch them leave, nothing but a fake money grab.

#18 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 06:11 PM

I've referred plenty of friends.

PGI has not done nearly enough to retain any of them.

#19 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,081 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 03 September 2017 - 07:22 PM

Years too late. Private matches costed real money. My colorblind brother could'nt see things enough and with no lore or story whatsoever to keep him interested he quit few minutes later. His kid who was 13 and has atusim managed to do the academy before getting wasted in first match then quit.

The rest all cited piss poor npe experience and rofl stomps when trying to group up to play and left. It's not fun loosing every time to a mastered mech when I have trash trials! From their point of view.

#20 GabrielSun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 171 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 07:54 PM

I've referred at least half a dozen to the game. They show up once, get annihilated for an hour by T1 opponents and then never come back. Yay, this is fun, right?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users