The Emperor Demands His New Dreadnought

4 replies to this topic

#1 Xoco

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 281 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:09 AM

It seems like a very steep MC investment (the paint job and decal is going to run me something ridiculous like 4500MC.) Would it be possible to wait for sales to get these decals/paint? Is any paint/decal that you buy ever reusable on other Dragons/other mechs entirely?

Any recommendation on the decal/color/other general appearance stuff? Right now I'm running 2xERLL, RAC5 with like 220 Standard Engine. But I'm thinking about going Light engine with lots of single heatsinks instead to help with the gameplay a bit. Another alternate build is going an AC20 with 2 Flamers on a red Dreadnought instead.

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/848222151024236606/BFE63C258E5B1C4CADEB90A83EC45FE7ECE9BE33/

Sorry about not having pic. But the board does not seem to allow me to link picture in from my steam profile.

Edited by Xoco, 06 September 2017 - 08:11 AM.

#2 Shinichi Yamamoto

• PipPip
  • Tai-i
  • Tai-i
  • 47 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:55 AM

Hey Xoco,
first of all congrats to purchasing a Dragon, they are fun mechs!

View PostXoco, on 06 September 2017 - 08:09 AM, said:

Would it be possible to wait for sales to get these decals/paint?

Technically yes. You just missed a decal/paint sale and they are quite rare.

Is any paint/decal that you buy ever reusable on other Dragons/other mechs entirely?

Every color and decal is reusable on any mech. Only camo patterns are different but since you are using the default pattern don't worry about that.

Any recommendation on the decal/color/other general appearance stuff?

Which colors are you using right now? There might be colors which look similar but are cheaper.
Try for example Basic Blue instead of the Blue you are using. Basic blue is available for 1,250,000 C-Bills, not a single MC! The white you used for the decals can also be substituted by Camo Light Grey which only costs 500 MC instead of 1000.

Right now I'm running 2xERLL, RAC5 with like 220 Standard Engine. But I'm thinking about going Light engine with lots of single heatsinks instead to help with the gameplay a bit. Another alternate build is going an AC20 with 2 Flamers on a red Dreadnought instead.

On which variant?
I am running my DRG-1C with 2 ERLLs, a Gauss Rifle and an XL300. The armor quirks help the survivability significantly.
My DRG-5N has a UAC10 and 2 SNPPCs as well as a XL300. I see people using 3 UAC2s on the 5N though.
Nevertheless, with both variants and builds I have a lot of success, would recommend!

Edited by Shinichi Yamamoto, 06 September 2017 - 10:15 AM.

#3 Ertur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Revolutionary
  • The Revolutionary
  • 565 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:54 PM

The above advice is good. Get the 5 basic colors: basic green, blue, purple, red, and orange. That'll give you some choices without any MC investment. You may not even need the basic green, it may be available by default.

Keep an eye open for events. Many events will allow an opportunity to earn things (like colors, decals, MC, mech bays, warhorns, etc) that take cash or MC to buy. At the top leftish part of this webpage, where there's an icon for "MechWarrior Online, a Battletech Game" -- click that to get to the current events page. Sales will also be listed there.

#4 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 17 September 2017 - 02:34 PM

It seems like a very steep MC investment (the paint job and decal is going to run me something ridiculous like 4500MC.) Would it be possible to wait for sales to get these decals/paint?
Yes. Events sometimes reward cosmetics directly too.

Is any paint/decal that you buy ever reusable on other Dragons/other mechs entirely?
Paint colors and decals are reusable globally. Pattern unlocks are either one-time (not reusable) or permanent (reusable across variants of the same chassis).

Any recommendation on the decal/color/other general appearance stuff? Right now I'm running 2xERLL, RAC5 with like 220 Standard Engine. But I'm thinking about going Light engine with lots of single heatsinks instead to help with the gameplay a bit.
There are very few mechs where going with SHS makes any sense. This is not one of them.

Another alternate build is going an AC20 with 2 Flamers on a red Dreadnought instead.
You won't fit an AC-20 there. UAC/10 is the most.

Edited by Horseman, 17 September 2017 - 03:28 PM.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:04 AM

Any recommendation on the decal/color/other general appearance stuff? Right now I'm running 2xERLL, RAC5 with like 220 Standard Engine. But I'm thinking about going Light engine with lots of single heatsinks instead to help with the gameplay a bit. Another alternate build is going an AC20 with 2 Flamers on a red Dreadnought instead.

The Dragon has a few different specific setups that conflict with each other in the source material. One has no lower arm actuator in the right arm, allowing an AC/20. This same one has a hand actuator in the left arm. The other has a lower arm actuator in the right arm and NO hand actuator in the left arm.
Sadly, both of these are considered canon. Either way, there are 49 slots not consumed by necessary parts.
Rather than try to sort it out and pick one... PGI made them "both" into one. And thus we only had 48 slots.

Looking at it now, PGI decided to remove the hand actuator again. So we have 49 slots again. So yay...dang it.

Admittedly due to the way that PGI gives the lower arm actuator a purpose, we get superb range of arm motion from the Dragon.
However if the art is any indication, it should have been no lower arm actuator + hand actuator. (This would also give reason for the very similar Grand Dragon to exist.)

You can still sport an AC/20, but you must be using the "Flame" hero mech, with its left torso ballistic.

Good luck.

Edited by Koniving, 18 September 2017 - 05:05 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users