• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:06 AM

View PostTheTrueQuarian, on 08 September 2017 - 02:02 AM, said:

Do you know when the next event is cause right now im earning less than 50k a match and that isnt gonna pay for a stormcrow.

Found your problem. I mean, no, you have to be doing really bad to have earnings that low. And I mean abysmally bad. I once had a match where I did 0 damage and lost and still earned more than 50k before premium time bonus.

I'd suggest watching a few live streamers and/or YouTube videos, figure out what you're doing wrong. Because your problem is that you are getting beat like a rented mule.

#22 TheTrueQuarian

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 13 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the cosmos

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:08 AM

View PostEscef, on 08 September 2017 - 04:06 AM, said:

Found your problem. I mean, no, you have to be doing really bad to have earnings that low. And I mean abysmally bad. I once had a match where I did 0 damage and lost and still earned more than 50k before premium time bonus.

I'd suggest watching a few live streamers and/or YouTube videos, figure out what you're doing wrong. Because your problem is that you are getting beat like a rented mule.

View PostDogstar, on 08 September 2017 - 03:52 AM, said:

Ah well see you can't just _buy_ the gitgud package you have to earn it.

Also, consider buying premium time to increase your earnings - they should be something more like 100k on a loss and 250k on a win, 50k is a poor showing

The only mech i have right now is a locust with eveything but an XL engine. I feel like im doing what im sopposed to be doing, spotting, poking with my laser, and trying to finish stripped mechs with my MGs but i usually end up doing no damage and then getting instagibbed by the person i was trying to kill.

Edited by TheTrueQuarian, 08 September 2017 - 04:08 AM.

#23 meteorol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:11 AM

View PostTheTrueQuarian, on 08 September 2017 - 04:03 AM, said:

The HBK-4G to be exact.

Sorry for that. People living in the past keep recommending this mech for new players. It's a terrible pick as first mech, and everyone advocating it to new players should feel bad about it. But sadly, they keep recommending it, not realizing how much the game has changed during the last 4 years.

They should really make a tagged thread in the new player forum stating "Whatever you are told here, don't buy a Hunchback or Centurion as first mech" to save new players a lot of miserable time.

I'm sorry you wasted your cadet bonus on it.

View PostEl Bandito, on 08 September 2017 - 04:03 AM, said:

IS Hunchie definitely. There is no way anyone can be that dissatisfied with HBK-IIC.

Obviously. Still, new players won't get to know how well the HBK-IIC plays because they are stuck on their HBK or Cent because "it's a great mech to learn the game with" (protip: it's not.).

#24 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:12 AM

View PostTheTrueQuarian, on 08 September 2017 - 04:06 AM, said:

I feel like im doing what im sopposed to be doing, ...

Than your feelings are incorrect. Because if you were doing what you were supposed to be doing you'd be clearing more than 50k a match. I'm serious, watch others playing, watch live streamers, watch YouTube vids. You are straight up getting wrecked worse than a quadriplegic in a wrestling match.

#25 ForceUser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 894 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:15 AM

The Hunchbakc 4G is not a bad mech, at all, not by a long shot. It's not the single best mech in the game but it's not bad. It's also incredibly hard to **** up the build for it considering the stock build is close to the best build for the mech.

AC20, STD 250 or LFE275, Endo, FF, Double HS and 3t of ammo with 3 ML

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f0ab5931b95f244

Easiest thing ever.

#26 Daggett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:17 AM

Though it's true that Clan Omnimechs come stock with everything you need they are still more expensive in the long run because you can't swap the engines.

I own exactly one of each useful IS-Engine and two or three of the most versatile ones (except light-engines, because they are new). So as long as i'm willing to swap engines around a new IS Mech only needs DHS and maybe Endo/Ferro while for a new Clan Omnimech i'm always paying the expensive 'engine-fee'.

#27 TheTrueQuarian

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:17 AM

View PostEscef, on 08 September 2017 - 04:12 AM, said:

Than your feelings are incorrect. Because if you were doing what you were supposed to be doing you'd be clearing more than 50k a match. I'm serious, watch others playing, watch live streamers, watch YouTube vids. You are straight up getting wrecked worse than a quadriplegic in a wrestling match.

No yeah i know i need to learn this stuff. I agree with you.

#28 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:21 AM

View PostTheTrueQuarian, on 08 September 2017 - 04:17 AM, said:

No yeah i know i need to learn this stuff. I agree with you.

Cool. Was worried I was coming across as too harsh. My livestream starts in about 10 minutes (https://www.Twitch.tv/escef), there's usually a friendly gang of louts there, and we will gladly help a player out. I remember how frustrating this game was for me back when I started, and if I can make the learning experience less painful for you, great.

Edited by Escef, 08 September 2017 - 04:23 AM.

#29 MadRover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 568 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:23 AM

Should've went with the Marauder, or if you're a masochist a Mad Dog. At least you wouldn't be struggling to pull more then 50k which is just flat out bad. I do occasionally get those but that's because both teams went for objectives but a good starting mech is a heavy like the Marauder. At least you won't struggle so much.

#30 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:28 AM

View PostMadRover, on 08 September 2017 - 04:23 AM, said:

Should've went with the Marauder, or if you're a masochist a Mad Dog.

Hey now, the Mad Dog is an incredibly fun mech.

That said, yeah, the Marauders are good mechs. The Bounty Hunter II is the closest there is to a "bad" Marauder (due to the low engine cap), and it's still a nasty customer.

As for good mechs for beginners, I usually recommend the Shadowhawk (generally the 2D or 2D2), because it has good hitboxes, good hardpoints, jump jets, decent speed, is very versatile, and the stock 275 standard engine is an ok choice if you're on a tight c-bill budget.

#31 MadRover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 568 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:40 AM

View PostEscef, on 08 September 2017 - 04:28 AM, said:

Hey now, the Mad Dog is an incredibly fun mech.

That said, yeah, the Marauders are good mechs. The Bounty Hunter II is the closest there is to a "bad" Marauder (due to the low engine cap), and it's still a nasty customer.

As for good mechs for beginners, I usually recommend the Shadowhawk (generally the 2D or 2D2), because it has good hitboxes, good hardpoints, jump jets, decent speed, is very versatile, and the stock 275 standard engine is an ok choice if you're on a tight c-bill budget.

I still have my Mad Dog but I rarely take it out for QP these days.

I have to disagree with the BH2 being a "bad" Marauder. You're not going to build it for brawling because of the engine cap. The MAD-5D is the weakest Marauder but it can still do some work. #MADsareawesome

#32 Lucian Nostra

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:47 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 08 September 2017 - 01:47 AM, said:

How is it crazy? Do you have any idea how much cash it takes to upgrade an I.S. mech to acceptable levels? Equivalent or more in most cases.

Total cost of ownership is less for Clan.

For the first handful of mechs yeah the mechs are about the same cost. After that cost to buy IS drops as you don't need to buy an engine for every single mech you own.

View PostTrissila, on 08 September 2017 - 03:41 AM, said:

Clan omnimechs are FAR cheaper, in the long run.

Because to make the IS mech not-trash, you need to buy a new engine which immediately adds several million C-Bills to the price.

And then, if you want a different hardpoint layout? You have to buy an entire new chassis AND a new engine to go with it. For an omni, you just need to buy a couple of omnipods.

IS mechs only look cheap. They have a ton of hidden costs.

Actually that's wrong IS are FAR cheaper in the long run. SHORT term it's about on par since Clan mechs are complete but again, once you have engines it's the endo/dhs upgrades you get smacked with on IS mechs, you don't need to keep buying engines. But it's not like endo/FF or DHS or those XLs are free on clan mechs... the price is still there. Lets also not forget the fact that IS mechs get a typical kick-back of 600,000-900,000 cbills as you sell off that STD engine

View PostFox With A Shotgun, on 08 September 2017 - 02:14 AM, said:

Because Clan mechs already have good engines to start with.

Take a Locust for example. Looks cheap, right? 1.5 million for a brand new mech? Nope, not true.

1.5 mil for the chassis. Then you have to pay 1.5 million to switch SHS for DHS (DHS tax). Then you got to shell out another 3 million for a XL 190 to make it serviceable. That's 6 million for a 20 tonner,

Compare this to a MLX, which is a clan 25 tonner and is the lightest Clan mech to date. It costs 5.8 million for a mech that already has the right engine, DHS and everything. Tack on a few more bits of gun and armor and you're ready to roll at roughly the same cost.

actually about 5.6 mil as you than sell the STD engine off for 400k.. than you buy another locust cause you enjoy the mech.. suddenly the mech only costs you.. 3 mil... 2.6 mil as you sell that STD engine off and use the XL you already have.. meanwhile another Mist Lynx costs... 6 million. Damn suddenly clan mechs are more expensive.. /shrug

View PostDaggett, on 08 September 2017 - 04:17 AM, said:

Though it's true that Clan Omnimechs come stock with everything you need they are still more expensive in the long run because you can't swap the engines.

I own exactly one of each useful IS-Engine and two or three of the most versatile ones (except light-engines, because they are new). So as long as i'm willing to swap engines around a new IS Mech only needs DHS and maybe Endo/Ferro while for a new Clan Omnimech i'm always paying the expensive 'engine-fee'.

This guy gets it. those xl 280s xl 300s and other engines work in a variety of mechs not every IS mech needs an engine, just the ones your currently playing. You end up with a lot of hanger queens after a while. At worst IS mechs are about equal in cost, at best they can almost be 3x cheaper to own and build

Edited by Lucian Nostra, 08 September 2017 - 05:06 AM.

#33 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 05:13 AM

View PostTheTrueQuarian, on 08 September 2017 - 02:02 AM, said:

Do you know when the next event is cause right now im earning less than 50k a match and that isnt gonna pay for a stormcrow.

There just was one that vomitted out 10 Million CB for basically "just playing" (https://mwomercs.com...t=201708warhorn)
Even more recent, another one almost forced up to 60 supply caches including keys on you which would definitely net 10 million or more just in sell value from the crap prices (and a tiny chance to get something really valuable). (https://mwomercs.com...?t=201709supply)

There should be another event this weekend (more less "now") or maybe the next.

Also, if you earn less than 50K per match, you're doing something terribly wrong. 100-150K should be more like it. 250K if it goes well. That all of a sudden makes a million CB seem not much money at all.

Easiest game economy ever.

Edited by Paigan, 08 September 2017 - 05:14 AM.

#34 Athom83

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 08 September 2017 - 05:47 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 08 September 2017 - 02:12 AM, said:

Also a FP win with a large contract bonus runs high six figures. Easy money.

I've seen seven figures when free premium time is running (from events).

#35 VXJaeger

• The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 1,582 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 08 September 2017 - 05:50 AM

Play FP, easily 1MCB / match.

#36 Verilligo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 789 posts
  • LocationPodunk, U.S.A.

Posted 08 September 2017 - 06:02 AM

View PostTheTrueQuarian, on 08 September 2017 - 04:08 AM, said:

The only mech i have right now is a locust with eveything but an XL engine. I feel like im doing what im sopposed to be doing, spotting, poking with my laser, and trying to finish stripped mechs with my MGs but i usually end up doing no damage and then getting instagibbed by the person i was trying to kill.

The Locust is not a nice mech for beginners. It's not even a nice mech for experienced pilots. The Locust is a nice mech for Locust pilots. It's a very particular playstyle that requires precise aim, predictive tactics, and a level of attention that would make a hyperactive chipmunk seem chill. You say it's your only mech, does that mean you sold your Hunchback? Generally, you should NEVER sell mechs. If you still have it, though, we can work with it.

Otherwise, if you're having that much trouble with your Locust, your alternatives are to either learn that mech better, create a new account for new cadet bonuses, or use the trial mechs. Given I think most of the current trial mechs are crap, though, the last option is hard to recommend. So assuming the first option... which Locust variant are you using?

#37 Daggett

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 September 2017 - 06:02 AM

View PostTheTrueQuarian, on 08 September 2017 - 04:08 AM, said:

What build are you running, can you rebuild it in smurfy and post it here?
Maybe we can give you some hints to get the most out of your locust...

And how much cbills do you have currently?

Edited by Daggett, 08 September 2017 - 06:04 AM.

#38 Nema Nabojiv

• 1,783 posts
  • LocationUA

Posted 08 September 2017 - 06:15 AM

Locust, and lights in general are not for the beginners and not for making c-bills. I mean you can but you have to be really good at this game to make it work.

Just make another account, get another cadet bonus, and buy something forgiving. Like idk, bushwaker or roughneck.

#39 TheTrueQuarian

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 06:20 AM

View PostDaggett, on 08 September 2017 - 06:02 AM, said:

What build are you running, can you rebuild it in smurfy and post it here?
Maybe we can give you some hints to get the most out of your locust...

And how much cbills do you have currently?

View PostVerilligo, on 08 September 2017 - 06:02 AM, said:

The Locust is not a nice mech for beginners. It's not even a nice mech for experienced pilots. The Locust is a nice mech for Locust pilots. It's a very particular playstyle that requires precise aim, predictive tactics, and a level of attention that would make a hyperactive chipmunk seem chill. You say it's your only mech, does that mean you sold your Hunchback? Generally, you should NEVER sell mechs. If you still have it, though, we can work with it.

Otherwise, if you're having that much trouble with your Locust, your alternatives are to either learn that mech better, create a new account for new cadet bonuses, or use the trial mechs. Given I think most of the current trial mechs are crap, though, the last option is hard to recommend. So assuming the first option... which Locust variant are you using?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f940dece4c05654
As of right now this is what i have.

Edited by TheTrueQuarian, 08 September 2017 - 06:20 AM.

#40 GA1NAX

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 97 posts
  • LocationIn Soviet Russia... scratching bears)))

Posted 08 September 2017 - 06:21 AM

Man... Clans are actually 70% CHEAPER in maintenance than IS. You cry about a Light-Medium craps, buy your an Atlas and you never gonna see your money... EVER.

Cause, actually for 17kk CBill's you get a multi-pod platform like Dai Shi... and you still have 3kk from Cadet Achivements. Buy Atlas, KGC or ANH and you gonna grind 10 games more on "trials" to get your desired gun on.

Only few IS assaults I gonna buy is... Annie and Pillager when it comes outPosted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users