Scorch: Srm Vs. Atm Question

8 replies to this topic

#1 Odd Thomas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 165 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 08 September 2017 - 05:43 PM

Have been playing with 2 X LB20-X + 4 X ASRM6. Excellent build if you luck out and manage CQ.

Was wondering if replacing the SRM's with 2 X ATM9's would, by eliminating the limitations of the SRM range, be more productive...

Or should I just enjoy the extreme CQ damage when I manage occasional matches where I can maneuver into some CQ situations and to hell with tier concerns?

Thanks

Edited by Odd Thomas, 08 September 2017 - 05:44 PM.

#2 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 08 September 2017 - 06:12 PM

Well, the is the problem of minimum range....in a brawler.

Could try it, but on other mechs i have yet to figure out how to use ATMs decently.

Post how it works for you. For Science!!!

#3 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 08 September 2017 - 06:17 PM

Reminder: ATMs have a hard minimum range of 120m. If you get within that range, they will be worthless. If you want a brawler, stick to the SRMs instead. If you want more mid ranged with longer ranged options, than ATMs may be worth while, but LRMs may be better suited to that task.

I have not been able to use ATMs all that well myself, and find LRMs are better for almost any situation ATMs could work in.

However, I'm not saying not to try them. Give them a try and see what you think of them for yourself.

#4 Odd Thomas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 165 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 08 September 2017 - 06:29 PM

Thanks all for the input.
Will give it a try, but I suspect that you're both correct and I'll be back with the SRM's shortly.

#5 Mercworks

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 151 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:45 PM

ATMs seem to do better on faster mechs that can control their ranges better. I've had trouble using them on Assaults and Heavies, but my Hunchie II gets great results. The heaviest I'd try them on would be a Mad Dog.

#6 KhanBhacKeD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 280 posts
  • LocationDans les branches du skill tree

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:28 PM

I don't think it:s a good idea on my opinion, I don't have calculate that but I think you are gonna to loose both dps and dph on that type of build. And Atm are really placement dependent which you can't really do with a scorch (don't remember the top speed but I think 65
Kph).

It's just my opinion. But you can try it as sayed for science.

#7 PaquIS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 03:02 AM

I dont recommend taking ATM's as a secondary weapon. I would say the bare minimum where they actually become good is 2xATM12.

For the Scorch I have had the best results by just going all in with ATM's. Meaning 4xATM12 and 2xMPL. Here is the build:
https://www.dropbox....Scorch.jpg?dl=0

Just focus on firing your missiles between the 120-270m range. Never shoot past 500m.

#8 Mad Dog Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 489 posts
  • LocationOutlaw On The Run, Faster than a Stolen Gun

Posted 10 September 2017 - 09:27 PM

Are ATMs garbage? Haven't tried them yet.

#9 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 10 September 2017 - 11:30 PM

I use ATMs as srm support weaponry. You use ATMs like longer range srms, and if facing AMS, close in an fire srms then ATMs within the 270 range, allowing the srms to soak the AMS, whilst the ATMs deal out three damage a pop.

They're still hard to use, an I generally prefer SRMs, but I am workin' on it. I wanna like something clan side for the new weaponry.

~Leone.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users