10 replies to this topic

#1 Snarkel

Rookie

• The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 9 posts
  • LocationNebraska

Posted 17 September 2017 - 12:15 PM

Are there any good FPS configs or other methods of improving FPS? I have a decent build but I currently don't have a video card so this game starts to lose frames after playing it for a few hours to the point where it gets unplayable. I have all of the game's video settings on low and its able to run fine for a while until I start randomly losing frames. I'd like to find a low spec compromise until im able to get a video card

Specs:

Processor: AMD A-8-7600 Radeon R7, 10 Compute Cores 4C+6G 3.10 GHz
RAM: 16GB (14.9 usable)
System Type: 64-bit

#2 Jun Watarase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 03:44 PM

It shouldnt be randomly losing frames, it might be that the CPU is throttling down due to heat. Make sure you clean the fans/heat sink and check your CPU temperature (since you are using onboard graphics, your CPU temp will be higher than normal). Also make sure your integrated graphics is running at full speed when running MWO (use GPU-Z to check).

#3 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:31 AM

View PostSnarkel, on 17 September 2017 - 12:15 PM, said:

Are there any good FPS configs or other methods of improving FPS? I have a decent build but I currently don't have a video card so this game starts to lose frames after playing it for a few hours to the point where it gets unplayable. I have all of the game's video settings on low and its able to run fine for a while until I start randomly losing frames. I'd like to find a low spec compromise until im able to get a video card

Specs:

For your APU, the best think you could do is to increase RAM to both 32gb and speed, or just speed. APUs need the fastest ram possible that your board supports. Other than that, disabled everything in MWO.

What ram do you currently have?

Edited by mogs01gt, 18 September 2017 - 07:31 AM.

#4 Jun Watarase

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:06 AM

View PostKurgenstein, on 18 September 2017 - 08:31 AM, said:

I had this same problem and I found a free program called Throttlestop,this will stop your computer from slowing down when it senses that the CPU is hot.You should also make sure your clean inside,check the thermal pasta,and check your temps,hope this helps.

Uh thats not a good idea. Throttle stop turning off BDPROCHOT is for when the sensor is faulty and throttles the CPU when your CPU isnt overheating. If your CPU IS overheating, then not throttling it is a bad idea.

#5 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:39 AM

View Postmogs01gt, on 18 September 2017 - 07:31 AM, said:

For your APU, the best think you could do is to increase RAM to both 32gb and speed, or just speed. APUs need the fastest ram possible that your board supports. Other than that, disabled everything in MWO.

I would strongly advise against upping RAM before getting a decent GPU.

Going from 16 to 32 will cost nearly as much as getting a video card.

Assuming the motherboard has 2 open RAM slots a pair of 8gig sticks will run about 150 USD for DDR4

For around 50-100 dollars more you could get a 1060 or 1070 (or equivilent) video card.

Also the actual performance gain from 16 gig to 32 gig RAM will likely be fewer than 5 FPS on average if anything at all due to the age of the game engine it was not really optimized to take advantage of more RAM.

I have 2 computers that run MWo.

One is a Powerspec G428. (pretty modern and up to current tech and not cheap)

I7-7700k 4.2 GHz CPU
1 TB SSD with 6 TB hard drive
16 gig DDR4-3000 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 1080Ti GPU w/ 11 gig vid mem.

The other is an upgrade of a Powerspec B817 (around 6 years behind and super cheap to get now)

Core i5 (second gen I believe with around 2.5 GHz)
8 Gig DDR3 RAM
Gigabytes 660 Ti GPU 2gig video mem.

Even between these two builds MWo doesn't really shine so brightly on the new tech as to be leaps and bounds better. The six year old machine easily gets 40 FPS even on high settings and is very playable. The New rig however can take whatever MWo can dish and have plenty of power to spare.But I could literally get three of the old computers for most of the new one.

My point is a graphics card should be priority one and due to MWo being as old as it is 16 Gigs of RAM will be more than enough since 8 Gigs was considered alot back when the game launched.

Edited by Lykaon, 18 September 2017 - 09:41 AM.

#6 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:50 AM

View PostSnarkel, on 17 September 2017 - 12:15 PM, said:

Specs:

You need better cooling
It's just throttling

The way it works :
CPU reaches a thermal threshold (or the APU) downclocks the frequency until it's just ok again
And then you run into the same problem again
Making FPS tank more or less inconsistently

Either clean the CPU cooler fins, replace thermal paste, be more aggressive with the fan (speed of it) or replace the cooler with a better one

16gb of RAM is way more than enough, if leave the settings at auto on how much RAM to use for the APU (integrated graphics), or use 8GB
Especially at the current RAM prices

Gotta remember how much VRAM a low to medium and graphics card comes with, hint it's not 8gb
The RAM speed matters a bit with an integrated gpu
If you can up the speed of the RAM that might help some too

Or buying a used old GPU
Depending on resolution a RX 460 or 1050 should be enough

But you're issue is overheating
Probably as you've not used the integrated one before, now using both (and MWO being so heavy on the CPU) it may be too much
At least with the cooler on it

View PostLykaon, on 18 September 2017 - 09:39 AM, said:

Assuming the motherboard has 2 open RAM slots a pair of 8gig sticks will run about 150 USD for DDR4

For around 50-100 dollars more you could get a 1060 or 1070 (or equivilent) video card.

Agreed
Except a used 960 or so would already be better than the integrated one
Or a 1050, RX

Hell my "old" 780GTX was way more than enough
I'm sure a 760 would be good enough if the resolution isn't too much for it

View PostKurgenstein, on 18 September 2017 - 08:31 AM, said:

I had this same problem and I found a free program called Throttlestop,this will stop your computer from slowing down when it senses that the CPU is hot.You should also make sure your clean inside,check the thermal pasta,and check your temps,hope this helps.

The CPU and integrated gpu throttle at 90 degrees Celsius or so
Shutting of the trottling might just damage the whole thing if it is ACTUALLY overheating

View Postmogs01gt, on 18 September 2017 - 07:31 AM, said:

I could buy a rx460 for 100€ (who cares if it's used)
That would be cheaper and deliver more FPS

Edited by Peter2k, 18 September 2017 - 10:00 AM.

#7 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:14 AM

View PostLykaon, on 18 September 2017 - 09:39 AM, said:

Also the actual performance gain from 16 gig to 32 gig RAM will likely be fewer than 5 FPS on average if anything at all due to the age of the game engine it was not really optimized to take advantage of more RAM.

I have 2 computers that run MWo.

One is a Powerspec G428. (pretty modern and up to current tech and not cheap)

I7-7700k 4.2 GHz CPU
1 TB SSD with 6 TB hard drive
16 gig DDR4-3000 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 1080Ti GPU w/ 11 gig vid mem.

The other is an upgrade of a Powerspec B817 (around 6 years behind and super cheap to get now)

Core i5 (second gen I believe with around 2.5 GHz)
8 Gig DDR3 RAM
Gigabytes 660 Ti GPU 2gig video mem.

Even between these two builds MWo doesn't really shine so brightly on the new tech as to be leaps and bounds better. The six year old machine easily gets 40 FPS even on high settings and is very playable. The New rig however can take whatever MWo can dish and have plenty of power to spare.But I could literally get three of the old computers for most of the new one.

My point is a graphics card should be priority one and due to MWo being as old as it is 16 Gigs of RAM will be more than enough since 8 Gigs was considered alot back when the game launched.

Yeah I forgot about the ridiculous price of ddr3 ram right now. A few years ago it was like 100 bucks.

#8 VirtualRiot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 201 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:26 AM

In terms of squeezing more fps out of your current hardware, if you're already running everything on the lowest settings, there really isint much you can do unless you're willing to lower the resolution.
Some people have seen smoother gameplay by disabling or enabling HPET.
Use an ethernet cable for best connection.
Obviously also make sure nothing else is running the the background, and that your power setting in control panel is set to maximum performance.

In all honestly, you really shouldn't be trying to run this game on an APU. Like, at all.

My best advice would be to buy a 1050 for like $120, slap that baby in your pci-e slot, and solve most of your problems.

#9 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:30 AM

I run an A10-77700k:

Ram speed is critical with an APU for FPS, if you haven't got the fastest supported speed you're only hurting yourself. I've got 8Gb at 2400 so trust me when I say, quality over quantity.

If you're starting to lose frames after a period of time look to your cooling; make sure the fans and vents are clean and your case is as duct free as possible, if you're in a dusty environment (or just want to cut down on maintenance) consider buying dust filters for your case if it doesn't come with any, you can pick up a pack of 10 for <£5. If you're still running you're stock cooler look to upgrade. I brought a CoolerMaster Hyper 103 for cheap (<£20) and it does the job fine, there's better coolers at the same price-point but I'm running an mITX build so space was limited for me.

Once your system's running stable you can eek out a few more FPS from the BIOS (sorry UEFI) by upping your GPU speed a little, Not too high though or you'll start throttling again though. If you're willing to spend the time experimenting you might be able to squeeze out even more by balancing your CPU+GPU speeds by dropping one in order to increase the other without hitting 100% usage on either but that's a tricky game to play and you'll have to tweak it for every game .

At this point I was running MWO at a stable 30-40FPS at 720-Mid settings.

After that consider crossfiring/hybrid graphics. the A8-7xx0 series can crossfire with AMD R7 "Oland" series cards, I picked one up for dirt cheap at a 2nd-hand store by chance and my FPS has increased by a solid 15.

Edited by VonBruinwald, 18 September 2017 - 11:35 AM.

#10 TheFallOfTheReaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 339 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 01:56 PM

Disable shadows and post processing, textures to half, effects are just shiny nonsense, other than that fullwindowed, and clean your CPU heat sink/fan/gpu/fan

Edited by ShadowHimself, 18 September 2017 - 01:57 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users