An In Depth Review That Doesn't Suck

36 replies to this topic

#21 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 15 September 2017 - 11:31 PM

View PostJC Daxion, on 15 September 2017 - 05:19 PM, said:

no clue why he is using the portal? maybe to test? But steam is so much easier with zero fuss/issue. I have not had a single issue with the game since i loaded up on steam at steam launch. (one system reinstall on win 10 update) so almost 2 years, only ran the file check once or twice, just because and found no issues.

Yes, Steam client for me is just flat out superior than the other ones. I switched to Steam a year ago and never looked back. It is that good.

#22 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 16 September 2017 - 12:09 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 15 September 2017 - 11:31 PM, said:

Yes, Steam client for me is just flat out superior than the other ones. I switched to Steam a year ago and never looked back. It is that good.

Posted Image

#23 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 16 September 2017 - 01:16 AM

This review sucked.

Very well done, but inaccurate.

I have played since closed beta on 3 entirely different computers and its always been very stable with any kind of error happening so rarely as to be irrelevant.

The review is right about the some of the weapon sounds being bad.

The review didn't mention that the game lacks any setting or atmosphere.

The review is wrong about the music. What there is in game is excellent, just there isn't much of it.

A review that fails to mention how bad the title screen is and the entire intro to the game isn't that great anyway.

I personally think MechWarrior Online is one of the best online games out. 8/10 when taking the seriously lacking competition into account. There are no 9/10 or 10/10 online games available at the moment. Should be higher.

Edited by Johnny Z, 16 September 2017 - 01:36 AM.

#24 meteorol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 02:33 AM

I'll never get the whole fuzz about MW: Stillborn legends, and IMO, spending the last 5 minutes talking about whether or not PGI somehow "shut it down" just takes away from the (pretty well done) review.

MW:SL never had a considerable playerbase. It was never going to be a competitor to MWO in any way. For the most part of its existence, the mod had more servers online than players. IIRC, their alltime player high was 78. I can't remember ever seeing more than 20 people online (worldwide) back in the days when i played it for a few months (and finally stopped due to the lack of players, because it was like 5 guys online most times i tried playing it)That's bad, even for a mod.

It never had any measurable success in terms of a considerable playerbase. Even when the MWO forum was full of "OMG f*ck PGI, im leaving, MWO worst game eevuuuuur, MW:LL best mech game evvuuur evvuuuuuur" non of countless people allegedly leaving could be bothered to play MW:LL instead, even while the server were running (empty) all the time.

MW:LL was born dead, grew up dead (well, actually, it didn't grow at all, which could be a result of being dead at birth), and stayed dead independent of MWO and whatever PGI did or didn't do. Let it rest in peace, stop bringing it up all the time in MWO related discussions and reviews.

Edited by meteorol, 16 September 2017 - 02:40 AM.

#25 Stone Wall

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,863 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 16 September 2017 - 03:55 AM

View Postmeteorol, on 16 September 2017 - 02:33 AM, said:

I'll never get the whole fuzz about MW: Stillborn legends, and IMO, spending the last 5 minutes talking about whether or not PGI somehow "shut it down" just takes away from the (pretty well done) review.

MW:SL never had a considerable playerbase. It was never going to be a competitor to MWO in any way. For the most part of its existence, the mod had more servers online than players. IIRC, their alltime player high was 78. I can't remember ever seeing more than 20 people online (worldwide) back in the days when i played it for a few months (and finally stopped due to the lack of players, because it was like 5 guys online most times i tried playing it)That's bad, even for a mod.

It never had any measurable success in terms of a considerable playerbase. Even when the MWO forum was full of "OMG f*ck PGI, im leaving, MWO worst game eevuuuuur, MW:LL best mech game evvuuur evvuuuuuur" non of countless people allegedly leaving could be bothered to play MW:LL instead, even while the server were running (empty) all the time.

MW:LL was born dead, grew up dead (well, actually, it didn't grow at all, which could be a result of being dead at birth), and stayed dead independent of MWO and whatever PGI did or didn't do. Let it rest in peace, stop bringing it up all the time in MWO related discussions and reviews.

MWO isn't doing that great, but it has the best numbers out of all the MW titles online. What I mean by not doing great, people here have posted that the numbers of current players at one time is in the 1,000-9,000ish range. We know alot of people, including me, have quit playing this game that came out 4 years ago.

Now when the MW5 trailer came out, it immediately got an assload of views. (now has 600,000+ for the PGI vid alone) Kinda makes you realize, hmm, alot of MechWarriors are out there but don't have the current gen game they want. Alot of MechWarriors are on the sidelines and it doesn't really make much of a victory to say, "MWO most hype, LL can RIP."

I wouldn't be surprised if Diablo 2 beats MWO for most people online some days.

Edited by Stone Wall, 16 September 2017 - 03:57 AM.

#26 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,010 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 16 September 2017 - 04:01 AM

Stone Wall is right lol

its a pretty accurate summation

time stamp 18:40

"its like being on a fun rollercoaster but its in a swamp and a bunch of bugs fly up to bite you, whenever you make a hard turn you feel your change about to fly out of your pocket also your pretty sure the guy that let you on the rollercoaster
shot a good friend of yours in the face and said he did it to himself but its still a rollercoaster"

#27 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 06:19 AM

View PostStone Wall, on 16 September 2017 - 03:55 AM, said:

MWO isn't doing that great, but it has the best numbers out of all the MW titles online. What I mean by not doing great, people here have posted that the numbers of current players at one time is in the 1,000-9,000ish range. We know alot of people, including me, have quit playing this game that came out 4 years ago.

Now when the MW5 trailer came out, it immediately got an assload of views. (now has 600,000+ for the PGI vid alone) Kinda makes you realize, hmm, alot of MechWarriors are out there but don't have the current gen game they want. Alot of MechWarriors are on the sidelines and it doesn't really make much of a victory to say, "MWO most hype, LL can RIP."

I wouldn't be surprised if Diablo 2 beats MWO for most people online some days.

And even now, when MWO is at its lowest playerbase ever, it averages more than 10 times more players online at any given time than LL had on its one highest spike, ever. Steam charts indicate around 1000 players online averagely (add on it whatever number of players aren't using steam).

The most MW:LL ever achieved iirc was 78 players online at a time. At that was not an average, it was their single, once achieved all time high. The average for MW:LL was probably around 10-20 players online. About 1-2% of what MWO has after 5 years and countless people leaving.

All that i'm saying is that MW:LL never was of any relevance to MWO or the Mechwarrior franchise in general, which is why people should stop bringing it up in relation to MWO. The playerbase has always been so low it simply has been a nonfactor. It's not about which game has more hipe, or if MWO "won" over MW:LL. There never was a competition between those two games, because MW:LL not just didn't make it to the track, it died in bed 6 months before the race was to take place.
Close to no one ever cared, or cares for it.

If people wanted to play LL, they would do it. They don't. Which is why i believe the few that actually did should stop bringing it up in relation to MWO over and over again.

Edited by meteorol, 16 September 2017 - 06:21 AM.

#28 Thorqemada

• 6,377 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 07:30 AM

MW:LL is nice but the wrong timeline for me and needing a Crysis whatsoever Demo from the very past to play the Mod while the Memory of Mechwarrior and Battletech fades from the public mind isnt that recipe for success especially with that little amount if any of advertising.

MW:LL has achieved quite some good things but not broad public attention...

#29 Sunstruck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 07:39 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 15 September 2017 - 05:23 PM, said:

Simple fact... the "quality" of a review always seems to fall into how closely it agrees with a person's own opinion.

Because we tend to be highly egocentric creatures.

I've used the Portal since it first was an option. Never had an issues with it.

No there definetly is something wrong with the recent portal builds, I had the same problems trying to install it as the reviewer. I actually couldn't get MWO to install properly on a brand new OS install, I had to use Steam.

#30 HGAK47

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 971 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 10:07 AM

Everyone has a different experience with this game, the technical issues are real as some players get them often. I myself have been fairly lucky and not had too many issues with MWO over the years but it is a bit shaky.

I did however learn something about the LL to MWO transition. Pity, this game could have really been something else if it had the combined arms with dogfights, infantry and tanks etc... (Maybe thats just me because I really like games like that, Battlefield being an example)

#31 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 16 September 2017 - 11:24 AM

View PostSunstruck, on 16 September 2017 - 07:39 AM, said:

No there definetly is something wrong with the recent portal builds, I had the same problems trying to install it as the reviewer. I actually couldn't get MWO to install properly on a brand new OS install, I had to use Steam.

which I covered in a later "YMMV" post. For some folks the Portal works like a champ and Steam does not. Just like the actual game, where one would think top end gaming rig means better play... and often doesn't, looking at posts here, where we see potatos run it fine, and then gaming rigs have issues.

It's not an all encompassing issue. It's a YMMV issue. Some folks encounter it, some don't. So to claim the Portal is just plain "broken" isn't technically accurate.

#32 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 16 September 2017 - 12:20 PM

Why would anyone put a match result screen with ~700 team damage into a review video? Posted Image

#33 D0GGY W0GGY

• Pip
  • The Dreadnought
  • The Dreadnought
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 08:08 PM

Although the review was not completely accurate, he does make good points especially along the development timeline. I don't know how this game garnishes such vehement favoritism but I see it suffers from 3 main fatal flaws:

1. Very unwelcoming for new players, especially for a game with a steep learning curve.

2. Broken matchmaking. Trending now is the steamrolling issue, which I have not come across since beta.

3. Broken client. Apparently the new nerf is the client. Although 1 & 2 are acceptable with tenacity, crashing, waiting forever for a match, and excessive loading times takes the cake. This week, I've had loading times that had me completely skip the map/game select and the ready screen, sometimes all the way up to near the end of the match where my team is all wiped out and I get that lovely AFK player tag. Sometimes the game is very choppy to make things even more fun when this happens.

Support does nothing and I cannot endorse spending much more time on this dumpster fire no matter how much time and money I've spent over the years. It got better, then it got way, way worse.

Flame on.

#34 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,072 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 08:12 PM

View PostZergling, on 15 September 2017 - 05:25 PM, said:

Hell, I loved MWLL, but it suffered from bad netcode, lots of bugs and an incredibly small playerbase.

one thing i noticed going back when ce was released was how bad the collision detection was. this is a problem mwo has been suffering with for a long time. too much micro detail. too many tiny objects with collision boxes where the biggest thing you should collide with would be the size of about a quarter a locust.

#35 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 17 September 2017 - 02:14 PM

View PostExilyth, on 16 September 2017 - 12:20 PM, said:

Why would anyone put a match result screen with ~700 team damage into a review video? Posted Image

I actually had a bug and it showed 1100 team damage for me 2 weeks ago. Sent a mail to support about it because I didn't feel like having any more trouble from this game. :) Never had trouble in any other game ever except this one.

Before I get trolled it was a bug for sure and I have no idea what happened. There was no friendly fire of any sort let alone 1100 damage. :)

Edited by Johnny Z, 17 September 2017 - 02:16 PM.

#36 Stone Wall

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,863 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 29 September 2017 - 01:54 PM

View Postmeteorol, on 16 September 2017 - 06:19 AM, said:

If people wanted to play LL, they would do it. They don't. Which is why i believe the few that actually did should stop bringing it up in relation to MWO over and over again.

People do play LL, but the game match style usually is Terrain Control. Being you can join in progress for any match that is listed (MWO doesn't let you freely join any game you want), players aren't required to stay on from the beginning of the match to the end while also not getting a penalty for leaving early. This keeps players online for longer with MWO, but I don't like the match making system there.

Close to no one cares, or ever cares for it.

What I have found, with being with the online MechWarrior community since 1999, is that people are diehard for their Mech games. Not only that, they love to jump onto the newest Mech game. Whichever Mech game is the newest, it will have the most players. That has been the history since 1999. MechWarrior 3 boomed, then MechWarrior 4 came out and took over. The MSN Gaming Zone died and our presence online died. But even with the servers dying and even with LL's Devs changing hands, all 3 games are still played online. When the newest MechWarrior online game comes out, that will be the big cheese, and MWO will have it's diehards as well.

If MWO is your favorite game, support it when the new game comes out. If for some reason the servers get shut down, I'm not sure what the diehards of MWO will do because you can't go to Game Ranger like you can with the other MechWarrior games.

Edited by Stone Wall, 29 September 2017 - 01:54 PM.

#37 CtrlAltWheee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 610 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 04:03 PM

PGI has made some ridiculous dumb decisions, but MWO deserves credit for doing some things really right.

The mech designs are a 10.
The individually modeled cockpits are a 10.
The game is just fun. It plays well.
The business model is fair.
Add 1 point to the review for mechthedane's mrbc videos.

Faction play was/is a huge shitshow. And there are 50 other grievances well documented here. But I really enjoy this game. Credit where it's due.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users