Flexible Omnimech Quirking [Poll]

No replies to this topic

Poll: Flexible Omnimech Quirking [Poll] (7 member(s) have cast votes)

I prefer...

1. Set-of-eight quirks (3 votes [42.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

2. Exactly what you suggested (2 votes [28.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

3. A modification of the suggestion (specified in discussion) (1 votes [14.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

4. I won't even read because quirks are evil! (1 votes [14.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Kuaron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 12:13 PM

This is the poll topic.
The discussion is over there.

Way back the omnipod quirks just amplified what was suggested by the hard points of the same component.
This didn't work balance-wise because it encouraged collecting the maximum number of omnipods for what you wanted to boat, buy hardpoints AND quirks samewise. Fluffy mixed stock builds got not even the slightest benefit from this approach.
We still have some Mechs quirked this way in the game, namely some of the older and without heavy quirking underperfoming Omnimechs.

Currently there is a shift in favour of set-of-eight quirks, which is a step in the right direction.
The problems with it is being very stiff on the one side, and inappropriate for the mentioned mechs in need of heavy quirks, they still have to rely on both types of quirks, component-wise and 8/8.

What I'd like to suggest:

Component-wise quirks amplifying not what is mounted in this very component, but in adjacent ones. With one arm being regarded as "adjacent" to the other for this purpose and the CT to everything.
And components with less/worse hardpoints than alternative ones giving armour/structure, as we already are seeing currently.
This is meant to replace both types of quirks but with a full stock set of omnipods being quirk-wise in the sweet spot.

To make it less abstract, let's look at an example.
I'll use a simplified notation with "E+++" meaning big energy quirks and "S/A+" meaning small structure or armour quirks.

Mad Dog A has currently:

LA (1B): -
LT (3M): S/A+
CT: -
RT (3M): S/A+
RA (1E): -
8/8: B+++ E+

Mad Dog Prime, for comparison:

LA (2E): -
LT (1M): M++ S/A++
CT: -
RT (1M): M++ S/A++
RA (2E): -
8/8: M+ E+++
We see, that its arms have maximum/good hardpoints compared to other variants, but its STs are inferior.

In the suggested system, MDD-A:

LA (1B): M+ E+ S/A+ (since there are alternatives with more hardpoints)
LT (3M): B+
CT: M+ B+ E+
RT (3M): E+
RA (1E): M+ B+ S/A+

MDD-Prime:

LA (2E): M+ (no E+ b/c same weapon type and many hardpoints already with boating being beneficial)
LT (1M): E++ S/A++
CT: M+ E++
RT (1M): E++ S/A++
RA (2E): M+

Of course all the E++ could still be specific for e.g. pulse laser weapons on the MDD-Prime, I just tried to stay clear.

Do you think this approach could work, do you see problems or would suggest improvements?
→ Discussion.

Edited by Kuaron, 17 September 2017 - 12:17 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users