7 replies to this topic

#1 Slydog486

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 04:24 PM

Hello everyone!

I have a friend who joined MWO a few weeks ago and since then, every night, he's been constantly getting an error stating "Server Connection was Lost". It happens around once every 15-25 minutes. After using my hard-earned degree in how to Google things, I've come to the conclusion that the only other time this issue has been experienced on a report-worthy level was late 2016 when the servers were on the fritz for a few weeks. If it helps, he has a decent albeit not spectacular PC, running:
  • Intel Core i5-4570
  • 8GB of RAM
  • GTX 960
He is the only person I know who has this issue and I think I've only ever had it happen once or twice. His MWO does NOT crash afterwards, as it throws him back to the login page.

Thanks to anyone who can provide some insight or even just an educated guess, and hopefully, a fix.

-Slydog486

#2 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 20 September 2017 - 07:43 AM

well, generally speaking, if the error message is 'server connection was lost', that's pretty much going to be the summary of what it believed the problem was, and that's generally going to infer something network related ... so in relation to that, we might need a little more info ... like, the corner of the internet being played from, the server selected for the match, any relevant info on the type of connection, any wifi in use ....

while your in game, the client maintains two network 'channels', the primary one to the server your match is happening on, and a secondary to the 'backend' servers, if either of these paths don't receive data for 30 seconds, the client disconnects ... usually if its dropped the connection to the game server, you go back to the mechlab, and if its dropped the connection to the backend, it will go to the login page, but that's not explicitly the only way you can get either of those options, its just the most likely ....

the oceanic server is based in Singapore, where there were some underwater cable outages recently after a typhoon, sending a lot of extra data, the long way around, the NA game servers are not located in the same physical place as the backend servers, and theres been times in the past, when that link to the backend servers has become congested and dropped a lot of data, blah blah something about backup links that didn't work, but we all knew, it didn't just work ...

and theres been a few times lately, where major routes have changed, which results in anyone whos data goes over that route, gets dropped from the game ... this was a big problem on the oceanic servers when they first started up ...

in terms of solutions, its hard to say without really knowing more about the networking side, but if you want to see more information about whats actually going on with the networking than just the ping time, you will want to add the following key to a user.cfg / tuning.cfg file
net_channelstats = 1
and it will display more useful stuff for network diagnostic, like

local socket
bandwidth used in/out
packet rate / achieved packet rate
packet loss percentage
the currently used packetsize
channel idle status
dc time - which is a counter for how long until the client disconnects ....

#3 Kakia

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 07:27 PM

View PostSlydog486, on 19 September 2017 - 04:24 PM, said:

Hello everyone!

I have a friend who joined MWO a few weeks ago and since then, every night, he's been constantly getting an error stating "Server Connection was Lost".

Thanks to anyone who can provide some insight or even just an educated guess, and hopefully, a fix.

-Slydog486

The connection loss maybe due to ISP issues. Last mile runs (wiring connection to neighborhood & home) can cause bad connections to online games that otherwise would be normally missed. High latency can exacerbate this too.

The first trouble shooting solution I'd do would be to restart internet "modem" or gateway, then router, and finally computer. Secondly, update drivers and firmware where applicable (i.e. "modem", router, computer). Check connections of your home network, including house wiring. (i.e. reseat or tighten connections, replace if needed, often ISP service tech. will check phone or tv cable connection for free.)

You may also check one of my favorite web sites for internet speed and latency results. www.dslreports.com Be sure to get what you're paying for in terms of internet speed and bandwidth.

Best of luck.

#4 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:29 AM

I just came back after a 2 year break to see if anything has improved and it hasn't. I'm constantly losing connection and usually have to restart MWO because if I try to just login again I get the lost connection again as soon as I search for a match or use the mechbay.
No other game does this.

#5 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 08 November 2017 - 05:04 AM

a 2 year break ... and you have so many forum posts .... errr ok ... anyway ...

might be useful to know where you are ... what type of connection you pay for, the network media, your router ... using wifi ? this game is pretty sensitive to packet loss ....

you gotta give us more to work with if you want us to imagine solutions ....

#6 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:27 AM

View PostNARC BAIT, on 08 November 2017 - 05:04 AM, said:

a 2 year break ... and you have so many forum posts .... errr ok ... anyway ...

It's actually not a lot compared to some players, and I joined in 2011.

might be useful to know where you are ... what type of connection you pay for, the network media, your router ... using wifi ? this game is pretty sensitive to packet loss ....

you gotta give us more to work with if you want us to imagine solutions ....

UK, VIVID 150 Optical Fibre, Virgin Media, Superhub router, not wifi.

It happens occasionally, but has happened a lot over the past few days. No internet problems with anything else.
I don't expect a fix though as I posted about it a few years ago and a pgi tech said "get a new video card"...

#7 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:09 AM

View PostAlexander Garden, on 05 August 2015 - 11:08 AM, said:

Determining your ping and routing path to the Oceanic servers

Recommended Method (click the Show button to reveal steps)
Spoiler

try this out, limit your gameservers to the local option, and let it run while you play, if the network craps out between you and the servers, you might be able to statistically see it ... you can run more than one instance to keep track of it, and you probably should keep a constant connection to the brown sea, because thats also where the auth servers are ... I'm not sure what the IP for the euro gameservers is, so youll have to gather that from your system

Edited by NARC BAIT, 08 November 2017 - 07:10 AM.

#8 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:22 AM

Ah, never mind. My Daughter says she's losing connection to stuff as well.
Seems Virgin are also currently upgrading my speed to the 200 Optical Fibre so that might have something to do with it. I'll give it a few days and see if it fixes itself.
Thanks for the help though Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users