Mixed Tech Drop Decks Should Be Allowed Now And I.s Should Receive Its First Omnimech Pack

50 replies to this topic

#1 Armored Yokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 06 October 2017 - 03:15 PM

It's 3062-3067 the clan invasion has ended and the Steiner and Davion are currently fighting over royalty ties or whatever. In the timeline from 3052 10-15 years have passed, this gives enough time for clan tech to be salvaged/captured and be distributed amongst houses and mercenary units. Clan/IS battlemechs should be able to be used by both sides but however it should be limited to 1 or 2, i'm positive many people have Mechs from the opposing faction they would love to use as an example i have a Summoner and Orion IIC that i would love to have in my drop deck to go with my Mauler and Commando.

Now for the Omnimechs; sadly because 2 have Single Heat sinks (I wonder who thought it was okay to give them singles) they are prone to overheating but I'm positive PGI will find a way to change the heat sinks to double. Invented by the most perfect faction the whole I.S has to offer
are the

------------------
Owens: a good light mech that can watch from afar while giving important info (this thing's C3 should be replaced with AMS or extra armor) all the while having good extra omnipods from those other variants
------------------
Strider: Good but the variant's omnipods grant more tech and firepower
------------------
Avatar: a Warhammer with more Options
------------------
Sunder: the 90 ton power house that can choke slam a Noobcat/Noob Gyr/noobbringer/Super Noob/Nooba/Maranoob IIC with it's devastating array of close combat weaponry

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 06 October 2017 - 03:19 PM

View PostArmored Yokai, on 06 October 2017 - 03:15 PM, said:

------------------
Owens: a good light mech that can watch from afar while giving important info (this thing's C3 should be replaced with AMS or extra armor) all the while having good extra omnipods from those other variants
------------------
Strider: Good but the variant's omnipods grant more tech and firepower
------------------

Your definition of "good" is very, very different from mine.

If you forgot, both of them are locked in having SHS forever which is by itself a death sentence outside of slow laser-boating assaults. The Strider is stuck with a STD engine despite being only 40 tons (never use STD in a mech that small), meanwhile the Owens lacks both Endo + FF while having several tons of hardwired equipment like BAP and TAG.

#3 Armored Yokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 06 October 2017 - 03:24 PM

View PostFupDup, on 06 October 2017 - 03:19 PM, said:

Your definition of "good" is very, very different from mine.

If you forgot, both of them are locked in having SHS forever which is by itself a death sentence outside of slow laser-boating assaults. The Strider is stuck with a STD engine despite being only 40 tons (never use STD in a mech that small), meanwhile the Owens lacks both Endo + FF while having several tons of hardwired equipment like BAP and TAG.

It is not my say so to insult Draconis Combine mechs but it's true, i do know they have SHS (bright idea huh?)

#4 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 03:25 PM

We need IS Omni!

That being said... I love the Owens and Strider. I really do. But MWO would not treat them well.

I did a poll on this before. The results were the Raptor, the Men Shen, the Black Hawk-KU, and the Sunder. Seems like a good starting place to me.

Edited by Bombast, 06 October 2017 - 03:53 PM.

#5 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 03:26 PM

not to mention PGI has killed the only advantage omnimechs had which was swapping omnipods.

they need to lax up the omnipod set bonus requirements from 8/8 to 6/8 so you can at least swap out two omnipods and still get the full set bonus.

otherwise it defeats the whole point of omnimechs which is to swap omnipods.

#6 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 03:27 PM

View PostKhobai, on 06 October 2017 - 03:26 PM, said:

not to mention PGI has killed the only advantage omnimechs had which was swapping omnipods.

they need to lax up the omnipod set bonus requirements from 8/8 to 6/8 so you can at least swap out two omnipods and still get the full set bonus.

otherwise it defeats the whole point of omnimechs which is to swap omnipods.

In another thread you said people should only get quirks for stock loadouts, but now you want people to be able to get set bonuses without using the stock loadout?

#7 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 03:28 PM

In another thread you said people should only get quirks for stock loadouts, but now you want people to be able to get set bonuses without using the stock loadout?

thats for battlemechs

omnimechs are not battlemechs

omnimechs by design are supposed to be more flexible and versatile than battlemechs. so they should get more leeway in their loadouts while still retaining their stock quirks. I think 6/8 is reasonable. That allows you to swap two omnipods without penalty.

omnimechs already pay the price for that with locked equipment

I also think they need to add 1-2 omni hardpoints to all omnimechs that can equip any type of weapon. omnimechs really need some other advantage because locked equipment is a huge downside.

fixing SHS is easy as well, just make all internal heatsinks count as doubles. thats not really a problem.

the bigger problem is the standard engines. standard engines somehow need to be made worthwhile.

Edited by Khobai, 06 October 2017 - 03:34 PM.

#8 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 03:31 PM

View PostKhobai, on 06 October 2017 - 03:28 PM, said:

thats for battlemechs

omnimechs are not battlemechs

omnimechs are supposed to be more flexible and versatile than battlemechs. so they should get more leeway in their loadouts while still retaining their stock quirks.

omnimechs already pay the price for that with locked equipment

Surely you see the problem with giving Omnimechs, many of which are extremely well kitted out, more lee way with mega quirks than battlemechs, 90% of which are obscene trash in MWO's system?

Edited by Bombast, 06 October 2017 - 03:32 PM.

#9 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 06 October 2017 - 03:31 PM

View PostArmored Yokai, on 06 October 2017 - 03:15 PM, said:

It's 3062-3067 the clan invasion has ended and the Steiner and Davion are currently fighting over royalty ties or whatever. In the timeline from 3052 10-15 years have passed...

I hate to break it to you but, we are not in this era yet. Yes, PGI called it the Civil War era. But because they are unable to do anything but clan v IS with the wonderful single bucket of faction play, they back tracked to 3057.

That is where we are at as of the July patch. Civil War tech and mechs but no actual civil war. No mixed tech, not even the ability to have mixed battles.

https://mwomercs.com...-2017/#timeline

#10 MadRover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 568 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 03:36 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 06 October 2017 - 03:31 PM, said:

I hate to break it to you but, we are not in this era yet. Yes, PGI called it the Civil War era. But because they are unable to do anything but clan v IS with the wonderful single bucket of faction play, they back tracked to 3057.

That is where we are at as of the July patch. Civil War tech and mechs but no actual civil war. No mixed tech, not even the ability to have mixed battles.

https://mwomercs.com...-2017/#timeline

Which is why everyone is still upset. Any bets we get a proper Civil War?

#11 N0ni

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 06 October 2017 - 03:39 PM

Mix tech:
No. Imbalanced as f*** to start, then you have quirks and skill tree to worry about further upsetting that scale.

IS Omnis:
Mixed bag.
Competitively suck, but for QP or for fun reasons i'm all for it... let's get some NEW content in the game regardless.

#12 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 06 October 2017 - 03:41 PM

View PostMadRover, on 06 October 2017 - 03:36 PM, said:

Which is why everyone is still upset. Any bets we get a proper Civil War?

Well. Russ did say "very soonTM" so given the history of such statements I suspect that it will happen any day now.

And maybe monkeys will fly out of my...

So no. No I don't think I will bet on that.

Edited by Bud Crue, 06 October 2017 - 03:42 PM.

#13 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 06 October 2017 - 03:52 PM

As long as it has a Sunder, I am in.

View PostKhobai, on 06 October 2017 - 03:26 PM, said:

They haven't locked omni-pods on omni-mechs so I don't believe you.

#14 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 03:57 PM

They haven't locked omni-pods on omni-mechs so I don't believe you.

its not so much an issue on clan omnis because they dont have many quirks to begin with. but it will be a much bigger issue for IS omnis because they will have more quirks than clan omnis.

when IS omnis only get quirks for using 8/8 omnipods then its basically the same thing as having locked omnipods. because IS mechs are dependent on quirks to compete with clan mechs.

you may not believe me but it doesnt change the fact im correct.

Edited by Khobai, 06 October 2017 - 03:59 PM.

#15 Jun Watarase

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 03:58 PM

I can just imagine the IS omnimech release now...

Whales : OMG THE FIRST IS OMNIMECH!!! PGI, TAKE ALL MY MONEY!!!!!

[After it comes out]

Whales : WTF the ingame model is crap compared to the concept art! And it has this ****** oversized engine that I can't remove! It's unusable! I can't put ammo in my legs either! And i lose my quirks when I take advantage of omni pods?! What's the point of omni pods then?! This is dumb, I now have 5 variants of a mech that I can't use because it's garbage!

Everyone else with common sense : Congrats you figured out why IS mechs are superior to all but a handful of clan omnis.

[6 months later]

Whales : WTF is PGI doing?! They still haven't made the previous IS omni mechs usable! Where are my FP updates?! The meta is still laser vomit! The Uziel hitboxes are still crap! Dropship bugs are still there! How hard can it be to edit a .xml file?! They just nerfed the Dragon AGAIN?! I'm never giving them my money again till they fix this mess!!!

[New mechpack announced]

Whales : OMG NEW MECHPACK!!!! The concept art looks so badass!!!! PGI TAKE ALL MY MONEY!!!!

[Rinse and repeat]

Edited by Jun Watarase, 06 October 2017 - 03:59 PM.

#16 MadRover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 568 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 04:09 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 06 October 2017 - 03:41 PM, said:

Well. Russ did say "very soonTM" so given the history of such statements I suspect that it will happen any day now.

Probably when I become Pope and I’m not catholic.

#17 N0ni

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 06 October 2017 - 04:34 PM

View PostJun Watarase, on 06 October 2017 - 03:58 PM, said:

[After it comes out]

Whales : WTF the ingame model is crap compared to the concept art! And it has this ****** oversized engine that I can't remove! It's unusable! I can't put ammo in my legs either! And i lose my quirks when I take advantage of omni pods?! What's the point of omni pods then?! This is dumb, I now have 5 variants of a mech that I can't use because it's garbage!

Everyone else with common sense : Congrats you figured out why IS mechs are superior to all but a handful of clan omnis.

[6 months later]

Whales : WTF is PGI doing?! They still haven't made the previous IS omni mechs usable! Where are my FP updates?! The meta is still laser vomit! The Uziel hitboxes are still crap! Dropship bugs are still there! How hard can it be to edit a .xml file?! They just nerfed the Dragon AGAIN?! I'm never giving them my money again till they fix this mess!!!

[New mechpack announced]

Whales : OMG NEW MECHPACK!!!! The concept art looks so badass!!!! PGI TAKE ALL MY MONEY!!!!

[Rinse and repeat]

What whales act like this? Out of curiosity.

Also, those of us with Clan Omnis already know what we're getting into with IS Omnis, it won't come as a shocker.

As a whale myself, i know exactly what i'm getting into before i hit the purchase button. If there isn't enough within the pack to warrant a buy, i'll skip it and wait for C-Bill release... and there's well over 20 collection packs that i've skipped (and all but 2 hero mechs) INCLUDING the Piranha. Whales don't typically go "OOOHH SHINY" *click*... that's just silly.

#18 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 06 October 2017 - 04:43 PM

View PostJun Watarase, on 06 October 2017 - 03:58 PM, said:

[After it comes out]

[6 months later]

[New mechpack announced]

[Rinse and repeat]

IS omnis will be bad because IS tech is worse and they need huge quirks to compete with Clan mechs. Locked equipment doesn't help, but most Clan omnis at this point don't feel the sting of their +/- a few tons of pod space based on locked equipment.

#19 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 06 October 2017 - 04:45 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 06 October 2017 - 03:41 PM, said:

Dang but, I thought monkeys and rainbows didPosted Image

Edited by Novakaine, 06 October 2017 - 04:45 PM.

#20 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 04:45 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 06 October 2017 - 04:43 PM, said:

IS omnis will be bad because IS tech is worse and they need huge quirks to compete with Clan mechs. Locked equipment doesn't help, but most Clan omnis at this point don't feel the sting of their +/- a few tons of pod space based on locked equipment.

It's not just a tech base problem, but also specific design choice problems. Like for example the Owens and Strider having locked SHS. Or the Owens lacking both Endo and FF, etc.

Even if all tech was equal, IS Omnimechs are on average not optimized as much as even the middling Clan Omnimechs. They were deliberately built using bad design principles.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users