#21 Dr Cara Carcass

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 643 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 04:34 AM

View PostHumpday, on 22 September 2017 - 06:08 PM, said:

Getting ready to drop some $$ on an alienware 17 R4
Given the I7 7700 and a GTX1070, what FPS should I expect?

Yes i know the engine is garbage, but I'd like some expectations as this thing is like 2k+ configured.

Thanks

NEVER buy alienware. I did it once before i started my first year n university. Died after 1 year. Pm me if you want a detailed report on the alienware custumer support and how bad it is.

#22 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 26 September 2017 - 05:28 AM

View PostHumpday, on 22 September 2017 - 06:08 PM, said:

Getting ready to drop some $$ on an alienware 17 R4
Given the I7 7700 and a GTX1070, what FPS should I expect?

Yes i know the engine is garbage, but I'd like some expectations as this thing is like 2k+ configured.

Thanks

Get one of the MSI gaming laptops. Better value vs the Dell(Alienware)

#23 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 09:45 AM

I have discovered a weird anomaly where i'll be gaming for a few hours, never disconnected, but my fps suddenly drops significantly from 80+ to single digits. If I close the client and restart it, every goes back to high fps #s. Only closing the client completely will fix this. Simply logging out and in again won't.

#24 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,664 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 26 September 2017 - 03:55 PM

View PostVellron2005, on 26 September 2017 - 02:49 AM, said:

Is nobody gonna give me a hack/tip to boost my frame rate? :-(

No information to work with.

Can of compressed air, blow out heatsinks,etc (get DHS!!!).]
Power Options, High Performance.
Low on Shadows and Post Processing. Turn off AA.
Reduce resolution.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 26 September 2017 - 03:56 PM.

#25 Soul Tribunal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 606 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 September 2017 - 05:21 PM

View PostVellron2005, on 26 September 2017 - 02:49 AM, said:

Is nobody gonna give me a hack/tip to boost my frame rate? :-(

I honestly think you're going to have to reduce some of the advanced graphics settings on your rig.
Unfortunately while that laptop can play games, its an entry level GPU (which is cut down from the original 950 to be Mobile) and a lower end CPU.

There is not much that can be done, other than ensuring your drivers are up to date, and that your settings are not going beyond the capabilities of the GPU/CPU.

-ST

#26 Humpday

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 08:28 PM

I'm hesitant to even buy a high end gaming laptop as I'm pretty sure the performance is going to be crap in this game.

Work just gave me a i7 7700k(pinned to ~3.5ghz) with a GTX1050 and with MWO on all low settings and 1280 x 720, frame rates dip down into the 30s, but can go as high as 130fps.

I'd MAYBE expect that kind of performance from medium in-game graphics setting at 1920 x 1080.

#27 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 26 September 2017 - 11:31 PM

View PostSoul Tribunal, on 26 September 2017 - 05:21 PM, said:

I honestly think you're going to have to reduce some of the advanced graphics settings on your rig.
Unfortunately while that laptop can play games, its an entry level GPU (which is cut down from the original 950 to be Mobile) and a lower end CPU.

There is not much that can be done, other than ensuring your drivers are up to date, and that your settings are not going beyond the capabilities of the GPU/CPU.

-ST

I already run MWO on medium graphics, but have tried all the modes from ultra high to low, and the FPS did not change at all.. always in the 20-40 range..

It would be helpful if I could increase that..

#28 visionGT4

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 313 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 12:02 AM

View PostHumpday, on 26 September 2017 - 08:28 PM, said:

I'm hesitant to even buy a high end gaming laptop as I'm pretty sure the performance is going to be crap in this game.

Work just gave me a i7 7700k(pinned to ~3.5ghz) with a GTX1050 and with MWO on all low settings and 1280 x 720, frame rates dip down into the 30s, but can go as high as 130fps.

I'd MAYBE expect that kind of performance from medium in-game graphics setting at 1920 x 1080.

you should be easily getting a solid 60 fps @ 1280. Create a user.cfg in your mwo directory and add "sys_MaxFPS = 62" which will cap the framerate at 60fps+/-. Then bump the resolution to 1920, change all in game options to low apart from textures and set DX9 as the rendering mode. If its still running like crap there's some form of power management at play. Make sure your at max performance in power options and in the NVidia control panel set Prefer Maximum Performance under power management.

Edited by visionGT4, 27 September 2017 - 12:02 AM.

#29 M3 SABLE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 255 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 12:33 AM

Up until I built my own custom loop Desktop with 1080 Ti this Spring, I was playing on my G73SW Asus laptop with merely GTX 460M
GTX 460 was considered garbage at a time already, and the mobile version "M" is even worse. (90-95 Celsius under load with Throttlestop to forcefully disable thermal throttling)
Yet somehow I still managed to squeeze out over 50 FPS playing this game for 5 years.

So you can accomplish a smooth FPS with any modern hardware for sure. It just depends how much of an eye candy you are ready to sacrifice.

Also, i love this game, but the graphics and aesthetics are garbage. As a person who went from playing on the lowest settings possible, up to the highest possible. I have to say that there is not much difference. Not even near what I expected.
You also will likely play worse because more of the stuff obscures your vision. Atmospheric fog, light rays, smoke, etc.

Edited by M3 SABLE, 27 September 2017 - 12:35 AM.

#30 Humpday

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 01:45 PM

View PostvisionGT4, on 27 September 2017 - 12:02 AM, said:

you should be easily getting a solid 60 fps @ 1280. Create a user.cfg in your mwo directory and add "sys_MaxFPS = 62" which will cap the framerate at 60fps+/-. Then bump the resolution to 1920, change all in game options to low apart from textures and set DX9 as the rendering mode. If its still running like crap there's some form of power management at play. Make sure your at max performance in power options and in the NVidia control panel set Prefer Maximum Performance under power management.

Prior to even starting the game, I set everything to max power consumption(video and cpu) so it was crankin'.

I don't' care about pinning my FPS to 60, but thanks for the suggestion, my thing is I don't' ever want to drop below 50fps.

A gtx1050 on an i7 7700hq @ 3.5Ghz should not be struggling to keep up at all low settings, on a games thats been out for a very long time, and at very low resolution relative to todays standards of PC gaming.

View PostM3 SABLE, on 27 September 2017 - 12:33 AM, said:

Up until I built my own custom loop Desktop with 1080 Ti this Spring, I was playing on my G73SW Asus laptop with merely GTX 460M
GTX 460 was considered garbage at a time already, and the mobile version "M" is even worse. (90-95 Celsius under load with Throttlestop to forcefully disable thermal throttling)
Yet somehow I still managed to squeeze out over 50 FPS playing this game for 5 years.

So you can accomplish a smooth FPS with any modern hardware for sure. It just depends how much of an eye candy you are ready to sacrifice.

Also, i love this game, but the graphics and aesthetics are garbage. As a person who went from playing on the lowest settings possible, up to the highest possible. I have to say that there is not much difference. Not even near what I expected.
You also will likely play worse because more of the stuff obscures your vision. Atmospheric fog, light rays, smoke, etc.

Honestly I care more about FPS in this game than i do eye candy. I've always played it at all low settings.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users