• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,424 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:39 PM

No thanks.

I do wish that they would allow the community to create maps.

#22 Clownwarlord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:40 PM

View PostWolfSpine Vickers, on 23 September 2017 - 01:41 PM, said:

Should PGI crowd fund maps

Isn't that why we buy mech packs?

#23 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:04 PM

crow Funding for better Leadership ...17 Years PGI/Jarhead and no good Game in this Time...only MWO with a Little Sucess

MWO is a Mechcollect & Grind-game with a Handfull testarenas ...not really a MW game

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 24 September 2017 - 08:10 PM.

#24 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:25 PM

View PostOld MW4 Ranger, on 24 September 2017 - 08:04 PM, said:

crow Funding for better Leadership ...17 Years PGI/Jarhead and no good Game in this Time...only MWO with a Little Sucess

MWO is a Mechcollect & Grind-game with a Handfull testarenas ...not really a MW game

I like to thank of MWO as the group Solaris of battletech.

#25 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 25 September 2017 - 02:26 AM

oh Yes ..the Solaris mode was the first Idea from the Community in the Closed Beta ...now ,by sinking Playerbase says Russ...coming soon

#26 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:51 AM

there was a time when I thought it could be so

however if PGI has the money to develop 2 games at the same time then its not my responsibility to point out that we play mechs (wanna buy a mechpack? da da da) on maps

and when saying we are about to get 2 new maps (which I think 1 has been pushed back already if I'm not mistaken) one also has to keep in mind how many maps we get per year (and how many are actually new or for FP only)

I, like many others over the years and in this thread, also think that user created maps are the way to handle this discrepancy
have them voted upon by the community and the top 3 or 5 PGI puts some finishing touches on

no idea why StarCitizen can have user designed ships that are rewarded with cold hard cash, and not too little either, and we can't have user created maps that PGI would most likely reward with digital items only
issue is the same, intellectual property rights

I myself have a really nice idea about a harbor town, with a battleship being repaired, capturable Gaus turrets on the ship, under water section that only light mechs can pass to sneak up behind or capture stuff and whatnot

but I'm not gonna spend my free time, which is really precious if you happen to have 2 young kids, on "just start" making a map (like someone suggested) that will never get to anywhere once I'm done with it

Edited by Peter2k, 25 September 2017 - 09:52 AM.

#27 Marquis De Lafayette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:34 AM

If it would actually speed map development it's worth trying. Heck, I would go in for it and if it worked out the first time it could pay off for PGI and the players.

#28 Verilligo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 789 posts
  • LocationPodunk, U.S.A.

Posted 25 September 2017 - 12:03 PM

Probably the reason they haven't done it is because it isn't as easy as everyone is making it out to be. That's without getting into the demands placed on additional QA for those community maps and, even worse, the legal vetting of everything within the map. It's remarkably easy to sneak an obscure reference into a map that wouldn't be immediately recognized until, say, some rep for The Mouse wanders by and sees easy prey.

#29 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 25 September 2017 - 08:01 PM

PGI has nothing further Interest by MWO ..the next project in Russ Mind is only MW5 ...singleplayer and a "buy and Forget" Game.
The Leadership is jumping from project to Project since Begin of PGI

#30 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 08:21 PM

no ones gonna crowd fund any project of pgi's ever again

why should they? theres plenty of other crowd funding opportunities that dont end in tears

that jumpship has sailed... straight into a blackhole.

Edited by Khobai, 25 September 2017 - 08:23 PM.

#31 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 25 September 2017 - 08:58 PM

I think it would be worth thinking about why the vast majority of multiplayer games actually don't use community-made maps. I don't think PGI would be able to handle it, and it's not in actuality as simple as just letting people drop maps in a folder (even if it is on the technical level).

#32 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,783 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:41 PM

View PostKrivvan, on 25 September 2017 - 08:58 PM, said:

I think it would be worth thinking about why the vast majority of multiplayer games actually don't use community-made maps. I don't think PGI would be able to handle it, and it's not in actuality as simple as just letting people drop maps in a folder (even if it is on the technical level).

well this kind of thing has been technically possible for over a decade or two. server side caching might be the worst part of it. you want to play a custom map, the server needs a copy, all players need a copy too. so you would need some kind of map management system. thats not really all that hard. peer to peer networks can handle that, like a built in torrent client to synchronize maps with an official tracker. but thats additional bandwidth and storage costs for pgi. but if it brings players back and keeps them here it would totally be worth it.

the biggest headache would be ip rights. say a player makes a map and uploads it. pgi likes the map and wants to make it offitial, who then owns that map? is it some agreement where everything you make becomes their property. do you get any compensation for your time? or are the maps treated as stand alone with their own license and pgi is only allowed to use them according to their terms. how do you handle user references to mechwarrior/battletech license? would this even be permitted or under the condition that the maps belong to pgi. you might have it set up where none of the new maps can have anything to do with mwo and thats an immersion breaker right there. standard texture and asset packs might solve that. its a nightmare. but it will keep the game alive longer than it will be here with the current maps. there is a lot of inner sphere out there and a lot of planets and environments not represented by the current map set.

#33 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 26 September 2017 - 02:31 AM

War Thunder do it...Starcraft 2 do it(with Therm thats a rights by community made Maps going to Blizzard) ...Ark :survival do it ...Cry and many Valve Games do it ...

#34 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 September 2017 - 03:42 AM

View PostKrivvan, on 25 September 2017 - 08:58 PM, said:

I think it would be worth thinking about why the vast majority of multiplayer games actually don't use community-made maps.

because they receive more maps than say 2 a year?
or come with a bigger selection
or have a bigger dev team?

no one would be whining about community maps if we wouldn't wait a few ice ages to get a new good map

Edited by Peter2k, 26 September 2017 - 03:42 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users