Gameplay

38 replies to this topic

#21 adamts01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 26 September 2017 - 11:14 PM

I agree that it's often the most boring due to neither team doing anything, but I think a simple band-aid of a little more cover in the middle would help. But I like the map for the most part, there's plenty of ability to snipe if that's your thing, while brawlers absolutely dominate late game. It's better than fighting over the platform on Crimson or the Citadle on River City every single time. It's also better than Polar when there happens to be a Narc Raven and good LRM boat on the same team. That map needs some buildings more than Frozen does.

#22 The Mysterious Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 381 posts
  • LocationUsing your bathroom

Posted 26 September 2017 - 11:29 PM

just ignore everything and run the 7 line, youd be happier for it

#23 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 27 September 2017 - 12:04 AM

it was fine before they made that stupid canyon extension and decided one team/lance having to spawn over there. The canyon creates to much loadout gambling, if the spawning lance/team over ther ei long range, they basically got the jackpot as anyone havign to cross it will get serious predamage putting them in a bad
disadvantage. And that area also offers too much sight into the frozen city at all, so youc na observe and block a large part of the map from that area.

While thsi makes up for some nice challanges sometimes it is objectuively not a good map with this feature as it really doesn't makes a "fair" setup.

Edited by Lily from animove, 27 September 2017 - 12:07 AM.

#24 JP Josh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 845 posts
  • Locationsteam- jp josh

Posted 27 September 2017 - 12:46 AM

View PostCommander James Raynor, on 26 September 2017 - 04:49 PM, said:

The problem is that pushing is usually a bad idea. Of course it will go well sometimes, but even a broken watch gives the right time twice a day. Most of the time, you have to cross with your fingers crossed or wait for the other team to corss and snipe them all the way. It is a frustrating and poorly designed map.

My problem isn't even with geting stomped, because I lose the same number of times as I win. The problem is that even the wins usually start with waiting for eachother behind buildings.

there is never a bad time to push when half of the team turns around to deal with a squirl (im usally playing this role) squaking for my team to push a line which is a 50/50 if they listen to me or worse yet only 3 people listen

#25 ForceUser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 894 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 02:28 AM

Frozen City is one of the best maps and I will gladly vote for it regardless of the mech I'm in. I enjoy it when running long range sniper builds (laser or not), I enjoy it when running mid range laser vomit and Dakka/Ballistics. I enjoy it when running MRM boats a lot recently. I enjoy it when running Dual LB20x clan and IS mechs even. I enjoy it when running lights or fast SRM boats. The map caters to all of those builds.

I feel there is a severe laziness on the side of the players that are unable to make every range bracket viable because I am able to do so. I am not a master tactician. But there is plenty of cover to make every range bracket of build work (not to be confused with bracket builds, which are terribad). I've been part of teams that got rolled when the enemy pushes across the chasm and part of the teams that did the rolling. I've been part of teams that successfully defend as well. I've enjoyed the skirmishing that sometimes happen on the far side of the map at the edges of the buildings and the wide open no mans land to the west and domination fights for the center have been insanely fun as both short range and long range mechs.

I think someone nailed it on the head when they said the map does one thing the best, and is why I enjoy it so much as well; It takes pugs outside of their comfort zone. This is not a bad thing. Taking people outside of their comfort zones occasionally means they are actually challenged or faced with a challenge. This brings so much to a game and makes matches dynamic, alive and different.

Again this in itself is not a bad thing and should not be confused with just plain bad design like a one sided map (initial domination alpine anyone?) or most of the pre redone terra therma conquest/assault matches. I mean yea there was some really good fights on terra therma back in the day in the thunder dome but too often on conquest or assault it'd just end up in a base race with little contact or chase the squirrel across the biggest and most uncomfortable map. Not a fan of Conquest Polar either on that note but at least it's not a popular pick. But I digress.

Frozen City is one of the better designed and more dynamic maps we currently have. It makes use of the most of it, more than just about any other map we have. Yes I've had some bad matches on it, I've had bad matches on every single map in the game but in frozen city it's always down to dumb players making bad decisions and not because of the map being bad. It's a map that challenges you as a player in a *good* way and some people have a problem with that because they are unable to answer that challenge due to laziness, impatience or lack of critical thinking.

#26 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 27 September 2017 - 02:51 AM

I think it's alright, both brawling and sniping works on it which is a great thing. It does have some problems like the assault game mode easily stalling into base camping. But I think I've fought on nearly every spot on that map which has to be a good sign.

#27 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 04:15 AM

View PostCommander James Raynor, on 26 September 2017 - 02:36 PM, said:

I really don't understand why this isn't a hotter topic. Frozen City makes for the worst games in MWO. That huge chasm means that you have to chose between crossing and dying or staying and having 9 minutes of inactivity. The only thing that gets the matches going are the suiciders, that force one team to charge and die. That is a fact: the map with the most stagnat games is Frozen City, and that goes against the whole idea of playing a game. Even a ridiculously unbalanced map would be better, because at least half of the time you could actually play a fun game.

Add to that the fact that it promotes long range builds like gauss/PPC or ER large lasers, which I hate with a passion. This last thing is not an objectively bad thing, it´s just something I dislike, but the stagnant games thing, that's a fact. Why are they (developers) or we (the players) not doing anything about it?

What I mean is: please, erradicate this map from the face of the earth. Get back to the old one, destroy it, rework it (but REALLY rework it). I understand that the developers can't go "ok, we did something awful, we're gonna take it back", because it looks bad, but once in a while they're bound to screw a map, and this is the case. It has gone on for too long and it's only healthy to admit it.

You know what, now that I think about it, just changing the spawn points would do wonders, like they did with incursion mode, Just get rid of the chasm.

I normally play long range sniping. Once, I built a brawling Linebacker, got dropped into Frozen City.
I happily and sneakily crossed the chasm, flanked the enemy, killed two and had a lot of fun.
In an unskilled Linebacker with an unfamiliar play style.

This single experience for me pretty much invalidates your whole post.
The chasm IS crossable as a brawler. At least not worse than on other maps. Meaning Frozen City is a normal / good map.

As for the rest: L2P.

Edit:
And for the love of god, please get an original nickname. Cheesy names like that make adult persons' eyes bleed.

Edited by Paigan, 27 September 2017 - 04:16 AM.

#28 Natred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 716 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWest Texas

Posted 27 September 2017 - 04:32 AM

I enjoy frozen city.. loli think it was done very well.

#29 Marquis De Lafayette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:19 AM

Really, it's just assault mode that is super-awful on this map and the visibility when it snows.

Assault is doubly terrible in QP...where it becomes basically a "which team brought the most Erlarge/ppc/gauss snipe-fest"....while the mid and short range guys sit around playing cards until one side gets bored enough to push.

Domination is more of a "which of you lights wants to go take one for the team?" mode...but at least both sides have to expose themselves to fire...so it requires courage and decent positioning. So, I don't hate it.

Conquest is tense on this map and works pretty well, as whoever can keep theta the longest generally wins. But again, if you are the guy trying to cap theta...you are going to take some hits.

Skirmish works ok.....so does incursion.

Now, when I get snow flurries, plus assault-mode...that always makes me feel personally trolled by PGI.

#30 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:29 AM

I thought old Terra therma was the worst map ever? Or how about the early version of The Bog and it's snare trap hitboxes?

I would love it though if they included old Frozen City as part of the rotation when they go back to 8v8.

Edited by MechaBattler, 27 September 2017 - 10:29 AM.

#31 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 11:37 AM

Frozen tends to throw most people off from the usual combats.

This is a good thing. It's a nice break from the endless votes for Grim Plexus I end up with until I can x12 override it for something different.

#32 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 27 September 2017 - 11:50 AM

False, Alpine is the worst.

#33 terrycloth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 769 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 12:06 PM

Grim Plexus is the worst for domination. Most of the circle is a big open bowl, except for a tiny bit of cover that one side can use while the other is basically screwed.

#34 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 12:07 PM

View Postterrycloth, on 27 September 2017 - 12:06 PM, said:

Grim Plexus is the worst for domination. Most of the circle is a big open bowl, except for a tiny bit of cover that one side can use while the other is basically screwed.

most of the maps could do with a circle re-positioning for domination.

#35 panzer1b

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:05 PM

honestly, i dont mind frozen, even if id really like to see the olf frozen added back into the game as a second option (say frozen night and frozen day, one of each map variation or something like that).

The issue with frozen is that people dont know how to play it, and everything from snipers to brawlers have the ability to get into their optimal range. I wont say it isnt a little biased towards sniping, but there are methods to get across the massive valley without eating tons of sniper fire (the far edges, and if you are very fast you can even go straight down the middle and use the cover there to minimize enemy fire).

really the only mode i HATE on that map is assault, since it almost always turns into a campfest where noone is willing to attack the enemy, and most of the time the game ends in teh least patient team rushing mid and dying horribly, or it ends in a base cap when one team tries to flank far side of valley and then the enemy cuts across mid and caps the base. Other then this, most of the gamemodes are fine. Even domination is fine imo, aslong as the team isnt stupid and sends everyone down into the circle (common problem on not just frozen, you need 1-2 mechs in the circle, everyone else should be focused on shooting enemy that pushed those in circle).

#36 Wil McCullough

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:30 PM

I hate frozen city dom. One side spawns in a position where a single light can take the bridge within seconds and stay inside the circle with only one real avenue to attack it.

Also, puggie assaults are dumb. They often just bumble straight ahead to the enemy gens, waste minutes of precious time being half the map away from the fight, waste another precious 20 sec taking down a generator, then wander down into the chasm to get obliterated.

#37 UnofficialOperator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 28 September 2017 - 03:45 AM

View PostCommander James Raynor, on 26 September 2017 - 02:36 PM, said:

I really don't understand why this isn't a hotter topic. Frozen City makes for the worst games in MWO. That huge chasm means that you have to chose between crossing and dying or staying and having 9 minutes of inactivity. The only thing that gets the matches going are the suiciders, that force one team to charge and die. That is a fact: the map with the most stagnat games is Frozen City, and that goes against the whole idea of playing a game. Even a ridiculously unbalanced map would be better, because at least half of the time you could actually play a fun game.

Add to that the fact that it promotes long range builds like gauss/PPC or ER large lasers, which I hate with a passion. This last thing is not an objectively bad thing, it´s just something I dislike, but the stagnant games thing, that's a fact. Why are they (developers) or we (the players) not doing anything about it?

What I mean is: please, erradicate this map from the face of the earth. Get back to the old one, destroy it, rework it (but REALLY rework it). I understand that the developers can't go "ok, we did something awful, we're gonna take it back", because it looks bad, but once in a while they're bound to screw a map, and this is the case. It has gone on for too long and it's only healthy to admit it.

You know what, now that I think about it, just changing the spawn points would do wonders, like they did with incursion mode, Just get rid of the chasm.

Or maybe you should just stick to Starcraft...

#38 Brom96

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 213 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 04:12 AM

It is cold, good and have less light issues. In domination, it can be pain in the backside, unless people realize that the hill control over the chasm, is the goal here. Actually, the only map where sticking 100% to the circle works is Polar, I think.

#39 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:52 PM

only Problem by Frozen ..the Players

is not a map for the "Im bad Aim and only brawl" playergroup, with nothing Tactical Awarness ..its not a Map for fast "run in the Reds" Gamesstyle for People thats will jumping very fast from match to Match and from Action to Action..its not UT

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users