How Come The More They "fix" Mm, The Worst It Gets?

24 replies to this topic

#1 Gaden Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 449 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 28 September 2017 - 06:06 AM

I thought they tightened the matchmaker.
Instead I have longer wait times following by RANDOMLY BAD TEAMS.

Teams that are so bad that when you go:
1. Stop peeking alone
2. Wait for push
3. Dont wait in open
4. OMG please re-group at this locations
5. Push D@RN IT
6. Read the map d@rn it!...
They seriously just ignore me and others .... Even when they are so freaking screwing up.

MM is so seriously bad now. Many extreme loses with a few crazy stomps..... Both DONT give players a great time and just makes us angry.

I am not a good player by any stretch, just check my scores. But frake it at least most games I got at least 300+dmg (not trying to hide behind). When I see people that get less then 100 that did not sacrifice themselves... I lament the STUPIDLY bad matchmaker.

I LOVE MWO, but come on MM is some how getting worst and worst and worst and worst and worst. Something has to be done. I just want to play games that are fair for all 24 people. Not a stomp one way or another.

Edited by Gaden Phoenix, 28 September 2017 - 06:11 AM.

#2 Mole

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 28 September 2017 - 06:09 AM

Hold on, did you just censor the word "darn"?

#3 Mechwho

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 06:24 AM

Look, I get you might be frustrated at the bad teams, but thats hardly a reason for you to use as a reason for bad MM.

Randoms are always gonna be a 50/50, there are times where you get into teams that steamroll and there are times where you are in the team being steamrolled, only solutions for this is either get a team or do your best in the matches.

#4 Gaden Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 449 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 28 September 2017 - 06:31 AM

View PostMechwho, on 28 September 2017 - 06:24 AM, said:

Look, I get you might be frustrated at the bad teams, but thats hardly a reason for you to use as a reason for bad MM.

Randoms are always gonna be a 50/50, there are times where you get into teams that steamroll and there are times where you are in the team being steamrolled, only solutions for this is either get a team or do your best in the matches.

The difference is that even two month ago, the amount of bad teams I get is way closer to 50/50 and stomps are rare.

Now I get way more bad teams and stomps are very common one way or another. It is like the middle ground is no more, and you often get a either really bad team or a way better then the other team team. And it is not even majority of the team is bad. You just need 4 "opposite of good" players to heck over the other 8.

Because in MWO, ever man matters. So especially in a game which every man matters, you need a good MM. And a MM that cannot at least balance the teams somewhat is going to make people frustrated alot.

And to add insult, my MM wait times are in minutes instead of instance or at least within 1 . So after 2~7 minutes of waiting IN BLOODY Quick Play I at least want an average match, instead of another stomp.

Edited by Gaden Phoenix, 28 September 2017 - 06:37 AM.

#5 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:06 AM

My matches are closer than ever.

#6 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:20 AM

Game population isnt large enough to have a true MM.

#7 Verilligo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 789 posts
  • LocationPodunk, U.S.A.

Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:21 AM

Well, since PSR is based more on time played than skill shown, the MM restriction is likely pulling more T1s into your game. The good, experienced players are T1, but you also have a lot of people in T1 that have played long enough to believe they know what they're doing even when they don't. You're no longer getting the T3 players that realize they don't know what they're doing and have a tendency to hang back and wait for an organized push. On the flipside of that, when you have too many people that are sheepish you can all too easily just get rolled over.

This might be something as simple as the hours you play the game vs. the hours that, say, Bandito plays happen to be more populated with players with more time spent than skill.

#8 Dogstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,725 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:28 AM

As far as I can tell there's no difference in the 'quality' of the matches since they changed the matchmaker.

It's definitively not 'much worse' though so I suspect that the OP has just had one of those typical streaks of losses that you get and is blaming it on the MM instead of the dice.

Single life team arena games have very streaky outcomes. You just have to learn to live with it.

That's something I've still to get the hang of though...

#9 Mechwho

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:31 AM

View PostGaden Phoenix, on 28 September 2017 - 06:31 AM, said:

And to add insult, my MM wait times are in minutes instead of instance or at least within 1 . So after 2~7 minutes of waiting IN BLOODY Quick Play I at least want an average match, instead of another stomp.

Dude the only thing I could tell you at this point is to take a break, you seem to have alot of time avaible and playing a game too much usualy gets you ''tilted'' and personaly, waiting 2 mins won't kill you, not realy beliving you getting 7 unless you trying region specific.

#10 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:43 AM

MM uses PSR for team building, and that's the problem - PSR is crap.

#11 Gaden Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 449 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:53 AM

View PostVerilligo, on 28 September 2017 - 07:21 AM, said:

This might be something as simple as the hours you play the game vs. the hours that, say, Bandito plays happen to be more populated with players with more time spent than skill.

I usually play at 7pm to 10pm GMT+8. USA is GMT-4 I believe. And I do not select EU servers due to their 400+ ping from Singapore.

Still MM waiting times and MM was never that much of an issue the last few months, till recently in my experience. Or maybe the hype of new era weapons is finally dying down in addition to the normal attrition loses due to MWO changing at a glacier rates.

Edited by Gaden Phoenix, 28 September 2017 - 08:00 AM.

#12 UnofficialOperator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 28 September 2017 - 08:02 AM

On a 15-2 run for me... not sure what you are talking about :P

Am from Singapore as well

#13 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 08:04 AM

I wonder if things will get better with the switch to 8v8.

#14 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,010 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 28 September 2017 - 08:12 AM

I thought they tightened the matchmaker.

Karl Berg the former lead engineer said in one of the pod casts
when they tightened up the matchmaker they had more stomps

I guess he never did get a chance to study why that happened but he said
he wanted to

#15 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 08:55 AM

compounding errors.....smaller sample sizes can't accommodate large variation and the default setting is "whatever is available..."

#16 Yellonet

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:03 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 28 September 2017 - 07:06 AM, said:

My matches are closer than ever.
Mine as well, I'm seeing quite a few more 12-4 games now!

#17 Dogstar

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,725 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:21 AM

View PostBombast, on 28 September 2017 - 07:43 AM, said:

MM uses PSR for team building, and that's the problem - PSR is crap.

What's really poor about PSR is that anyone thinks it has anything to do with 'skill' - it's much more like a measure of total c-bills ever made.

However in that respect, it actually makes sense to group players by wealth. Tier 4/5 players, who have not made much cash so far are likely to have less well optimised mechs compared to tier 2/3 players who are also less likely to have mechs that are as good as tier 1 players'.

#18 Cloves

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 561 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:07 AM

View PostDogstar, on 28 September 2017 - 09:21 AM, said:

What's really poor about PSR is that anyone thinks it has anything to do with 'skill' - it's much more like a measure of total c-bills ever made.

However in that respect, it actually makes sense to group players by wealth. Tier 4/5 players, who have not made much cash so far are likely to have less well optimised mechs compared to tier 2/3 players who are also less likely to have mechs that are as good as tier 1 players'.

That is the first time I have ever seen that opinion. Thanks for bringing a fresh idea! The other thing I can think of that it does is measures time played which should lead to map knowledge and flow anticipation. As my games played went up, I could more accurately predict where the enemy team would be on the map at any particular point in the game. Now if only my time played would lead to better accuracy, shielding ability and caution, I would be a happier and better player. Maybe I am too old...

#19 Verilligo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 789 posts
  • LocationPodunk, U.S.A.

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:48 AM

View PostGaden Phoenix, on 28 September 2017 - 07:53 AM, said:

I usually play at 7pm to 10pm GMT+8. USA is GMT-4 I believe. And I do not select EU servers due to their 400+ ping from Singapore.

Still MM waiting times and MM was never that much of an issue the last few months, till recently in my experience. Or maybe the hype of new era weapons is finally dying down in addition to the normal attrition loses due to MWO changing at a glacier rates.

7 PM to 10 PM GMT+8 is 7 AM to 10 AM EST. Or 4 AM to 7 AM PST. Essentially, during your hours, everyone in the US is either asleep or at work. EU players on the NA servers are more likely to show up, but it's probably still during work hours for a fair number of them as well. Regardless, just observations, there's not much you can do about the hours you play at and the MM has already been shown to be limited in its capabilities.

#20 TheFallOfTheReaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 339 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 11:04 AM

So anyone else having 45-90 minute wait times, litterally had it say failed to find a match (group queue, even number of players) multiple times in a week? One of our dropmates legit went to the store, got breakfast and got home to see it fail again

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users