Overheat Damage Rng

17 replies to this topic

#1 Shifty McSwift

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 08:50 PM

When it comes to overheat damage, the random effect it has can mean pretty massive disparities between potential outcomes of an overheat. This isn't necessarily a bad thing in itself, but it is a little "unfair" in a match when one guys overheating kills him in 3 seconds and another guys take 25 seconds.

I was thinking about it further though, and asked myself, why does the overheat damage transfer into arms and legs? Shouldn't it be bound to where the engine is mostly located (STs, CT)? The idea that it would only bounce between STs and CT, still has a pretty big disparity in potential death times as a result, but it seems much more constrained and much less "pray for leg damage" kind of a feel to it.

It could be taken a step further with STD engines being the only ones that transfers heat to limbs too, as a buff of the heaviest engine, with XLs and lighter dealing direct torso damage.

What is the consensus on this issue? I didn't really think about it too much until I considered the potential differences in death times via overheating, try it for yourself in the training grounds, some overheat sessions last 5 seconds and you die, other last far far longer.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:07 PM

I've always felt that overheating damage should start out in the location(s) where the weapons which caused the overheat were fired, and then only spread out to other sections if the initial section(s) get destroyed during the meltdown.

#3 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:09 PM

View PostFupDup, on 27 September 2017 - 09:07 PM, said:

I've always felt that overheating damage should start out in the location(s) where the weapons which caused the overheat were fired, and then only spread out to other sections if the initial section(s) get destroyed during the meltdown.

Sure, that's a good thought, I had similar past suggestions about heat damage being relational to weapon health itself, "overfiring" volleys or firing when your engine is too hot dealing damage to the weapons in question, either before or after firing.

In that sense the heat damage wouldn't necessarily hurt a mech directly, but the weapon explosions caused by the heat damage could have structural impact in dire ways, depending on the weapon.

Edited by Shifty McSwift, 27 September 2017 - 09:19 PM.

#4 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:11 PM

And also relative to the size of the robot....

Not RNGeesusplzno Wolfhound (with 3 insta death spots, and 2 pseudo dead slots, out of 7 possible rolls), to the LOLoops MadCat Mk2 (anywhere...aside arm Goose Waffle heat explosion)

#5 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:14 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 27 September 2017 - 09:11 PM, said:

And also relative to the size of the robot....

Not RNGeesusplzno Wolfhound (with 3 insta death spots, and 2 pseudo dead slots, out of 7 possible rolls), to the LOLoops MadCat Mk2 (anywhere...aside arm Goose Waffle heat explosion)

See I hadn't even considered builds that take advantage of how heat damage is dealt like that.. Wow that's cheap lol.

#6 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:27 PM

View PostShifty McSwift, on 27 September 2017 - 08:50 PM, said:

I was thinking about it further though, and asked myself, why does the overheat damage transfer into arms and legs?

A more gradual and even damage from heat would be nice, which exponentially ramps up the farther past redline you go. But I'm not against it being spread, as I'm sure components in every location need cooling, and we often have heat sinks in every location except the head.

#7 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:44 PM

View Postadamts01, on 27 September 2017 - 09:27 PM, said:

A more gradual and even damage from heat would be nice, which exponentially ramps up the farther past redline you go. But I'm not against it being spread, as I'm sure components in every location need cooling, and we often have heat sinks in every location except the head.

True, there is logic to the current randomness, can't fault that, but yeah it would be nice to be a bit more predictable.

#8 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:01 PM

I suppose we should be glad that PGI removed cockpit from those sections affected by overheat mechanics.

I'm still pissed that there is no progressive heat penalty. Even the pilot should be affected in some way.

#9 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:21 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 27 September 2017 - 10:01 PM, said:

I suppose we should be glad that PGI removed cockpit from those sections affected by overheat mechanics.

I'm still pissed that there is no progressive heat penalty. Even the pilot should be affected in some way.

It could be nice to have progressing debuffs as your heat % travels into unsustainable regions, but I wouldn't want it so much that people just use the heat neutral gun combos to counter what are horrible effects etc.

The gauge we have should probably have ticks over the 100% mark, or be scaled out in a way that the current 100%+ mark is marked differently, make the UI itself a little more complex at least.

#10 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:59 PM

View PostShifty McSwift, on 27 September 2017 - 10:21 PM, said:

It could be nice to have progressing debuffs as your heat % travels into unsustainable regions, but I wouldn't want it so much that people just use the heat neutral gun combos to counter what are horrible effects etc.

The gauge we have should probably have ticks over the 100% mark, or be scaled out in a way that the current 100%+ mark is marked differently, make the UI itself a little more complex at least.

Nah, current laser boats do need to be shown penalties before 100% mark. I do 78 damage per alpha in my EBJ--that's mere 65 ton mech--and shoot it twice more thanks to Coolshot. The alphas are too damn high as is, IMO.

Edited by El Bandito, 27 September 2017 - 11:00 PM.

#11 Kuaron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:59 PM

Not quite.
Consider that "weapons producing heat instead of consuming energy" is explained by the engine overheating to fuel those weapons.
So by this logic overheat dmg should not start at the weapon but in the CT.

#12 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 11:07 PM

View PostKuaron, on 27 September 2017 - 10:59 PM, said:

Not quite.
Consider that "weapons producing heat instead of consuming energy" is explained by the engine overheating to fuel those weapons.
So by this logic overheat dmg should not start at the weapon but in the CT.

And or the STs if they have parts of that overheating engine in them. But that is also not to say that the firing of weapons while the engine is overheating could add substantial excess heat from the component those weapons are located, it is where the energy/fuel is being sent to and discharged from. In other words, why not both? Posted Image

Edited by Shifty McSwift, 27 September 2017 - 11:08 PM.

#13 Snazzy Dragon

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:10 AM

I agree with this, but honestly I'm just glad we can't cook our heads into oblivion anymore.

#14 Yellonet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:13 AM

Or perhaps where the closest heatsink is, and then spread to the location of the next heatsink and so on, so if you only have engine heat sinks the CT will get hit first.

#15 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:42 AM

View PostYellonet, on 28 September 2017 - 09:13 AM, said:

Or perhaps where the closest heatsink is, and then spread to the location of the next heatsink and so on, so if you only have engine heat sinks the CT will get hit first.

Oh damn that's a really good thought. Or even if overheating started popping heatsinks before dealing direct damage... Hmm.

#16 Nemesis Duck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 01:31 PM

View PostShifty McSwift, on 28 September 2017 - 09:42 AM, said:

Oh damn that's a really good thought. Or even if overheating started popping heatsinks before dealing direct damage... Hmm.

You don't pop a heatsink you just feed it the heat that it can dissipate which means it has a capacity and it's the source that cannot flush the heat it generates over time so it melts. The reactor takes the damage, not the heatsinks.

#17 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:55 PM

View PostNemesis Duck, on 28 September 2017 - 01:31 PM, said:

You don't pop a heatsink you just feed it the heat that it can dissipate which means it has a capacity and it's the source that cannot flush the heat it generates over time so it melts. The reactor takes the damage, not the heatsinks.

Says you. But seriously where are you getting this info?

If it's reality I could ask why human civilisations that advanced to intergalactic space travel, would sort out their issues with the equivalent of a robot wars episode. Or why my fusion reactor has heat issues whatsoever, or why my pilot has to look through a glass cockpit to see...

Edited by Shifty McSwift, 28 September 2017 - 09:58 PM.

#18 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 11:17 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 27 September 2017 - 10:59 PM, said:

Nah, current laser boats do need to be shown penalties before 100% mark. I do 78 damage per alpha in my EBJ--that's mere 65 ton mech--and shoot it twice more thanks to Coolshot. The alphas are too damn high as is, IMO.

the whole heat system in general needs penalties as it goes up based on how quickly it goes up. what you described here is one of the biggest issues the game has right now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users