An Interesting Perspective On Team Damage

13 replies to this topic

#1 NajLok

• Pip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:17 AM

So, a couple of weeks ago I was playing with Elennai, and we had an interesting game where he accidently full blow shot me in the back right after saving me.

What is interesting about this is that we were both recording the same game from our different perspectives, and you can compare the visuals quite easily of what happens. Where he is trying to aim on to his next target, I am trying to duck into cover behind a building after overheating and overriding. Most of us know that team damage is some times very inevitable in the game. This puts into perspective how some times, it isn't always about trying to "steal" kills or damage from you either.

Any who I thought folks around here might like to see the videos and possibly have a discussion on them. So here they are.

In both vids it occurs approx 3:00-3:30

Elennai's vid: https://youtu.be/Foz4v_TTXc8

My vid (some swearing cause of sneezing, sorry): https://youtu.be/YbohvLCioOQ

Edited by NajLok, 28 September 2017 - 07:27 AM.

#2 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:24 AM

Im not watching all of that, tell me what time to move the video to.

#3 Trissila

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 439 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:45 AM

What is there to discuss?

Guy tunnel visions with zoom on, other guy isn't aware of what's going on behind him, jumps into the line of fire. Happens all the time.

#4 NajLok

• Pip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 12:30 PM

Well I agree wholeheartedly that the cause of being shot in the back here are simple, I still feel like it is interesting how you get to see two points of views of the same event. I am sure that every one has been in a game where they heard "|OMG WHAT ARE YOU DOING STOP SHOOTING ME" yada yada yada. And maybe, this little thread will prove to some folks that accidents happen some times.

If not, whatever, I still thought it was interesting to see, and share. Posted Image

#5 panzer1b

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 01:07 PM

I have been on both sides of this situation MANY times.

Why i do my best to maintain situational awareness of teammates, ive had too many people run right into my dual gauss/erll burn because im often zoomed in and aiming at a distant target, and if the friendly is super fast, i might not even notice before its too late (and lasers cant just be stopped, i try to move them off a friendly if it happens, but if assault with torso guns, its often too late to get them off target.

Ive also been that guy that simply didnt notice what was behind me and walked into someone else's firing line (if ur being shot at by 2+ mechs your attention is mostly on them). It happens, and really, there is nothing that either side can do to avoid it completely, and luckily, the penalties in this game for team damage/kills are not bad unless you are doing it intentionally or every single game (ive never had more then 2 games in a row where i did any meaningful amount of team damage).

#6 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 03:51 PM

I think Dire with bunch of heavy large lasers on arms is the most easiest to deal accidental team damage. You have to be fairly close, you have to be with you team, and you have to engage the closest enemies fontally. Once you commence your beams to fire they will often strip away arms from team members who see the same enemy you are shooting, and close in on it.

I think most people know team damage happens all the time. There's like no way to prevent it all. You can even easily make 200-400 team damage once you start using two strikes. Not all the time but for me it's like once every 40 games maybe.

Edited by Teer Kerensky, 28 September 2017 - 03:51 PM.

#7 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,059 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:06 PM

team damage is inevitable in tight formations. you can spread out a little if its a problem but you usually see tight formations in fp and its a real good way to concentrate firepower. its often worth a couple accidental scrapes into back armor. occasionally it results in someone dieing. but its usually because they took a lot of damage earlier in the match. most of the team kills i cause usually find my team damage numbers in the single digits. when you get so damaged a couple points from a team mate can kill you, you probibly should break off and take up more of a support role and stop taking so many chances. its a situational awareness thing.

#8 Stonefalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 1,373 posts
  • LocationProselytizing in the name of Our Lord and Savior the Annihilator

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:33 PM

View PostTeer Kerensky, on 28 September 2017 - 03:51 PM, said:

I think Dire with bunch of heavy large lasers on arms is the most easiest to deal accidental team damage. You have to be fairly close, you have to be with you team, and you have to engage the closest enemies fontally. Once you commence your beams to fire they will often strip away arms from team members who see the same enemy you are shooting, and close in on it.

I think most people know team damage happens all the time. There's like no way to prevent it all. You can even easily make 200-400 team damage once you start using two strikes. Not all the time but for me it's like once every 40 games maybe.

Annihilator is the worst for team damage, your cockpit is so high and guns so low it's easy to not notice heavy mechs walking in front of you.

My understanding on TKing is PGI won't punish a player if you are firing and someone intentionally walks into your fire, you have every right to keep firing. Sure you'll cop a minute or two waiting after the match but any reports won't gain any traction.

Edited by Stonefalcon, 28 September 2017 - 09:34 PM.

#9 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:59 PM

Actually I find the Anni's are great for avoiding it with the super high torso hardpoints. I can shoot over the top of battlemasters standing right in front of me.

#10 Wil McCullough

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:28 PM

Line up an airstrike on a juicy group of enemies.

Teammate decides to poke out and block your view the moment you hit the strike key.

Boom. 200 team damage.

#11 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 11:01 PM

Wait so what is the perspective?

#12 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 04:50 AM

No don't.......he wouldn't do that........ah geeze........everday in MWO. Cost of doing business.

Especially, with air strikes as said above.....ouch and sometimes team kills late in the game.

#13 NajLok

• Pip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 05:33 AM

So as if in perfect timing, I do believe I committed my worst TK ever last night. Piloting my Marauder, I had lost all my major weapon systems and only had two med lasers left. It was towards the end of the game, and down to the last couple of red's mechs. I was in the fight over one, and firing my two lasers. A mad cat or timber wolf barely, BARELY walked in front of me when I fired my two lasers. I immediately swung right to avoid hitting him, but he was so damaged that for that half a second my lasers were on him, he got killed from it.

I finished the game with 1 point of team damage for -22 cbills and a team kill for -15,000 cbills. Hahaha oh god. The luck some times!

#14 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 29 September 2017 - 06:10 AM

Nothing quite like when a "Knight Errant" decides it's smarter to walk in front of a teammate that's firing as opposed to behind. Blammo, you alpha him in the back...and apparently, it's your fault for not lifting your fire.

Or you drop an airstrike and said "Knight Errant" thinks the red smoke is some kind of powerup, so he wanders straight into it.

Then you have the elite snipers that get tunnel vision because unzooming is so difficult...they have no idea what's in their peripheral vision, so they cut loose and tear out your backside.

Welcome to MWO where the matchmaker is non existent and the PSR is merely an XP bar.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users