Ping Management

10 replies to this topic

#1 Shifty McSwift

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 12:25 AM

Can anyone recommend software that has helped their ping level for MWO? Being in Australia for right now our ping has gone to poop temporarily so there might not be a way around that for me, but I just wonder if anyone has had luck improving their ping externally.

#2 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,565 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 29 September 2017 - 12:35 AM

View PostShifty McSwift, on 29 September 2017 - 12:25 AM, said:

Can anyone recommend software that has helped their ping level for MWO? Being in Australia for right now our ping has gone to poop temporarily so there might not be a way around that for me, but I just wonder if anyone has had luck improving their ping externally.

I've tried a few ping tools in the past, and i'm mostly convinced that it's snake oil.

The biggest issue you'll have with your ping in AU is the route your ISP takes to chuck out and receive it's data - there's 2 main pipes overseas in Australia, I believe, and one is mostly poop, the other is OK. I'm apparently on the OK one.

One of my friends had success using a VPN - his ping went from 450ms on the poop route to 300 or so when he picked a server in Singapore. No idea how that managed to circumvent the damaged cables between there and AU, but i'm not one to question magic internet pixies if they get the job done.

#3 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 29 September 2017 - 12:53 AM

I tried out Kill Ping (I live in Mongolia BTW) but it didn't help me lower my ping. Seems I already have the best connection possible. Still 210 ms on NA though.

#4 UnofficialOperator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 29 September 2017 - 01:32 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 29 September 2017 - 12:53 AM, said:

I tried out Kill Ping (I live in Mongolia BTW) but it didn't help me lower my ping. Seems I already have the best connection possible. Still 210 ms on NA though.

Clap clap well done.

#5 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 02:10 AM

There are "ping improvement tools", really? Posted Image

Imagine the ping is the speed at which a loaded car can drive and the loaded weight is the networking code that is executed.
No matter how nifty an additional weight for that car is advertised, it is ALWAYS MORE weight, making the car even slower or at best having neglible impact.
You CANNOT make the car faster by adding more loaded weight.

Very similar, you CANNOT improve the ping by additionally executing any kind of networking code.

Reducing the executed code might work. But more on the router-side than on the end-user-side.

Apart from that, there's only the physical layer. Wires, cables, distance, hardware quality. If you want to improve your ping, reduce the distance or at least use better hardware (I mean on the ocean floor, not at home). Both is pretty much impossible for single end users like us.

Edited by Paigan, 29 September 2017 - 02:12 AM.

#6 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 29 September 2017 - 02:47 AM

View PostShifty McSwift, on 29 September 2017 - 12:25 AM, said:

Assume Win10?

3rd party apps are snake oil as others have said and happen to agree with.

Win10 does have settings to mess with that can improve some 'net performance. Simple google search will set you on the right path.

QoS Packet Schedule is one to look at if memory serves. Default is set to 80% of bandwith....

There are apps to maximize settings for your OS, names escape me atm.

#7 UnofficialOperator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 29 September 2017 - 03:07 AM

View PostPaigan, on 29 September 2017 - 02:10 AM, said:

Imagine the ping is the speed at which a loaded car can drive and the loaded weight is the networking code that is executed.
No matter how nifty an additional weight for that car is advertised, it is ALWAYS MORE weight, making the car even slower or at best having neglible impact.

Very similar, you CANNOT improve the ping by additionally executing any kind of networking code.

Reducing the executed code might work. But more on the router-side than on the end-user-side.

Apart from that, there's only the physical layer. Wires, cables, distance, hardware quality. If you want to improve your ping, reduce the distance or at least use better hardware (I mean on the ocean floor, not at home). Both is pretty much impossible for single end users like us.

Couldn't you route the traffic better thereby reducing ping? Like wtfast? :P

#8 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 September 2017 - 06:43 AM

View PostPaigan, on 29 September 2017 - 02:10 AM, said:

you can pay for a service that tries to route it better than your ISP, or so the legend goes

its not just data traveling in a direct line you know
in case of Australia one undersea cable is damaged or something something at the moment or such
so manually routing over the another might be advisable, which is not done automatically
Spoiler

that beings said it all looks like VPN's to me

Posted Image
don't know about you, but Steve's testimonial in Overwatch like completely convinced me to pay for such a service Posted Image

sounds more to me like a provider being wonky when it comes to play along with other providers, e.g a US problem basically

Edited by Peter2k, 29 September 2017 - 06:50 AM.

#9 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:00 AM

View PostPeter2k, on 29 September 2017 - 06:43 AM, said:

Spoiler

Am I the only one concerned about where that north-pole cable connects....

#10 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,627 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:09 AM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 29 September 2017 - 08:00 AM, said:

Am I the only one concerned about where that north-pole cable connects....

Thats the problem with 2d maps...Thats not the north pole cable, thats the cable that goes to the international space station so they can watch their soaps.

#11 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:27 AM

Well with the testimonial of the internets most trusted and beloved person, Steve, aside. I guess I just gotta live with dirt ping while issues get sorted. :(

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users