• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,010 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 13 October 2017 - 06:11 AM

The Star Trek universe used to be way cool
the Original Star Trek cant be topped
you hardly ever found yourself second guessing Kirk, Spok, Bones even Scotty and Sulu made good sound tactical logical decisions

the biggest reason I like the old Star Trek is they won! they over came, they kicked butt

I am so sick of Warf getting his butt kicked
or saying shut up Pacard
or they loose the Enterprise or some planet or some other ship

when I see the start of a battle I say ok here we go they will get there sass handed to them

Games:
ever play Star Fleet Battles way cool

Ships always cool not like the goofy crap from BT

Posted Image

the new Star Trek is just going to be another who kicks our butt this week or they just talk you to death
sad so much lost potential

#22 jss78

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 27 October 2017 - 07:23 PM

I'm ... OK with it, so far. Keeping an open mind. It's on Netflix where I live so fortunately I don't have to deal with that bullsh*t.

I'm a HUGE fan of Star Trek since TNG started. However I'm terribly concerned with minutiae such as klingon forehead shapes, if they want to reimagine or modernize details like this, I'm cool. Star Trek is to me about the optimistic vision for the future, and the general principles the Federation and the series itself have stood for.

If their budget and modern SFX allows, I think it's a good idea making the aliens more alien. If this includs the klingons, I don't mind. Star Trek has always suffered of these "aliens" who're basically humans with funny foreheads and bad tempers. That stuff is just ... dated. As much as I love Worf.

I'm a little concerned about the grim and dark tone of the first few episodes. I understand it's a time of war, and that's OK, but I wish that hopefulness of Star Trek will remain there. With all the awfulness oozing out right now in the real world society, God knows we need that more than ever, I have no use for entertainment about promising societies going down the drain.

I'm OK with a lot of the characters. To me they're already better than the Voyager and Enterprise crews.

The spore drive is just a silly, contrived concept. Revitalization of Star Trek didn't need stuff like this, it needs compelling characters and good writing. If they can make the old techno-babble of Star Trek more convincing, that's great, but the spore drive's going the wrong way.

I was saddened to learn that Georgiou wasn't going to be a permanent character. She would've made a great Star Trek captain.

#23 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:22 AM

yesterday, in tv they were running star trek. So star trek came, follwoed by star trek nemesis and then star trek the movie.

it was quite interetsing to see how different these movies were made. the old movie simply gave more time for imprerssion. Simply the time the movie spent when scotty and kirk fly to the enterprise. it gives time to enjoy those scenes. While the new movies are just about quick shaky scenes. Also, I kinda realised that the old movies show more natural human interactions in their gestures. Thats something newer movies are missing, most are kinda bland dialogues unless something really escalates.

#24 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 01 November 2017 - 06:06 AM

What I am concerned about far more than the visual reimagination of the tech and the Klingons Headshapes is what kind of stuff the Heroes do and what the Federation does and seems to think is ok.

Michael Burnham, a tried and guilty mutineer that is responsible for the death of her mentor and best friend, the handling of a possible sentient and feeling "creature" you know that giant grey thing, the total disregard for the teritorial and kultural integrity of other species...
Come to think of that every character seems to be somehow extreme onedimensional and psychicaly chalanged or somehow pressed by his or her past.

Those are simply not the ppl you want to have on a starship and sure not on a military vessel.

Appart from the characters I find the obvious technical discontinuity between ALL other StarTrek series and Discovery quite confusing.

-- Holocommunication techniques that where new with the Enterprise-E
-- Sporedrive that is infact a huge step further than any Transwarp drive
-- Compression pulse phasers that where new when the Defiant (DS9) was developed
-- Androids and Robots evereywhere while DATA was said to be the first Android in Starfleet
-- etc pp

Infact you could go on with that list every new episode of the series.

Well you see different looking and acting Klingons could be explained by the Klingon augmentation experiments that took place before and around Kirk that B'elanna Torres of Voyager helped to correct (Kuvah'Magh)
Such things are ok but packing a whole series full of things that simply break the timeline and technical and story evolution of a SciFi Universe is just plain wrong.

Edited by The Basilisk, 01 November 2017 - 06:07 AM.

#25 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 04 November 2017 - 07:19 AM

Discovery is in my opinion not bad, but it does not realy feel like Star Trek, and there is no sense that they are honoring what came before.

for example a few weeks ago they mentinoed a Klingon D7 ship then showed something which looked like Destiny from Stargate Universe, I suspect they put in the D7 referance to show that they were paying attention to classic trek but using a random ship which has almost nothing in common with the classic design seems incredably stupid, because anyone who recorgnises the referance will instantly see that it looks nothing like the D7.

#26 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 04 November 2017 - 08:39 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 04 November 2017 - 07:19 AM, said:

Discovery is in my opinion not bad, but it does not realy feel like Star Trek, and there is no sense that they are honoring what came before.

for example a few weeks ago they mentinoed a Klingon D7 ship then showed something which looked like Destiny from Stargate Universe, I suspect they put in the D7 referance to show that they were paying attention to classic trek but using a random ship which has almost nothing in common with the classic design seems incredably stupid, because anyone who recorgnises the referance will instantly see that it looks nothing like the D7.

Well see that is what I'm talking about.
What sense does it make to call out a Porsche Cup and then allow only Toyotas and Mazda to participate ?
Sure they all are cars......but that's it.

#27 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 04 November 2017 - 10:55 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 13 October 2017 - 12:33 AM, said:

Dunno, isn't some racism also part of all the star trek series?

McCoy and all his anti vulcan talk,
picard and his hate vs borgs.

do not forget O'Brian from TNG/DS9 and his "bloddy Cardys"
as well as Worf and Tribbles

on the subject of Tribbles Discovery's captain has 1 Tribble on his desk, and a few episodes later there is still 1 tribble on his desk, over the course of a few weeks Discovery should have been completely overrun with tribbles, so ether the captain (whose name I do not remember, seriously past trek series this far in I knew the names of all the main charactors) has someone with standing orders to beam all but 1 tribble into space every half hour, or yet again STD is ignoring established continuity (the extreme reproductive rate of Tribbles).
The way to do it would have been when you first see it there is one tribble on the captains desk, then cut back to his office a few hours later with a dozen, then near the end of the episode there are thousands, and they beam them onto a Klingon ship, ending the Federation Klingon war and starting the first Klingon Tribble war.

#28 Chaotic Entropy

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • 13 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 05 November 2017 - 04:31 PM

I'm watching it out of morbid curiosity... I don't really like any of the characters, any of the plots or any of the changes especially. Then again I'm not frothing at the mouth about them either, seems to be just all kind of "meh".

It seems like a cross between Star Trek and Babylon 5 so far in terms of the approach.

#29 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,072 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 05:55 PM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 04 November 2017 - 10:55 AM, said:

do not forget O'Brian from TNG/DS9 and his "bloddy Cardys"
as well as Worf and Tribbles

on the subject of Tribbles Discovery's captain has 1 Tribble on his desk, and a few episodes later there is still 1 tribble on his desk, over the course of a few weeks Discovery should have been completely overrun with tribbles, so ether the captain (whose name I do not remember, seriously past trek series this far in I knew the names of all the main charactors) has someone with standing orders to beam all but 1 tribble into space every half hour, or yet again STD is ignoring established continuity (the extreme reproductive rate of Tribbles).
The way to do it would have been when you first see it there is one tribble on the captains desk, then cut back to his office a few hours later with a dozen, then near the end of the episode there are thousands, and they beam them onto a Klingon ship, ending the Federation Klingon war and starting the first Klingon Tribble war.

yea that thing should have totally got into the fortune cookies by now.

#30 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 06 November 2017 - 01:13 AM

A real tribble, or just an "easter egg" tribble.

it makes really not much sense if it would be a real one, but well recycle ware series are recycle ware series. In the end thats why prequals are problematic you can't recycle "new" stuff into them without having to bring an exoplanation why no one later knows about it anymore.

Edited by Lily from animove, 06 November 2017 - 01:13 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users