#21 RussianWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 02 October 2017 - 09:14 AM

View PostPaigan, on 02 October 2017 - 09:09 AM, said:

100 games per month for being considered active? You do understand that not all players are students or unemployed, yes?

60 is 2 matches per day on average. I don't know anyone who logs in, does two matches and leaves generally. Anything less I wouldn't consider active at all.

Others have argued that 100 matches per month (just better than 3 matches per day average) is the minimum for an active player.

So I started tracking both.

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

at 60 matches min, we started with about 24k and its dropped to just over 15k now.

#22 TLBFestus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 09:28 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 02 October 2017 - 04:30 AM, said:

........since after all Russ promised in January of this year that we would be playing "frequent" IS v IS and Clan v Clan special events on weekends throughout 2017.........

Well then, that was the kiss of death. If Russ promises anything, you pretty much should know by now it's pucked. At this point we should compile a list of things Russ says, and exactly what level of "ain't gonna happen" it corresponds to.

How would you organize these things with respect to their validity/level of apprehension?;

"It's being looked at"
"We are working on this"
"We have big plans to do X"
"We will never, ever do Y"
"This year we will..."
"Paul is working on it"
"We have listened to the Community and are making the following changes"
"Big announcement coming at the next Town Hall"
"We never promised that"
"This is what the community asked for, only better!"
"We are making the game our fans have asked for"
"My Island, your island, some island...whatever"

EDIT: Image placed to convey message;

Posted Image

Edited by TLBFestus, 02 October 2017 - 11:19 AM.

#23 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,935 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 02 October 2017 - 09:32 AM

View PostTLBFestus, on 02 October 2017 - 09:28 AM, said:

Well then, that was the kiss of death. If Russ promises anything, you pretty much should know by now it's pucked. At this point we should compile a list of things Russ says, and exactly what level of "ain't gonna happen" it corresponds to.

How would you organize these things with respect to their validity/level of apprehension?;

"It's being looked at"
"We are working on this"
"We have big plans to do X"
"We will never, ever do Y"
"This year we will..."
"Paul is working on it"
"We have listened to the Community and are making the following changes"
"Big announcement coming at the next Town Hall"
"We never promised that"
"This is what the community asked for, only better!"
"We are making the game our fans have asked for"
"My Island, your island, some island...whatever"

Careful. Last time I took liberties with that many "quotes" from PGI I got threatened with a ban for "impersonating PGI staff".

#24 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 02 October 2017 - 09:45 AM

The population problem could have been easily solved through two actions: Sharing of techbase allies in attack in addition to defense and elimination the eight hour cycle timer which stacked units on one front only where it was possible to gain critical mass necessary to flip planets.

Why do they think need a cycle timer? They disabled it for ALL the Tukayyid events. People play in the window between when they work and sleep. They don't need to be penned in an artificial manner. Without the urgency of a eight hour window the combat would have naturally rotated across the planets of the multi-factional fronts, including those of the same techbase.

Edited by Spheroid, 02 October 2017 - 09:49 AM.

#25 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 03 October 2017 - 12:21 AM

View PostAJBennett, on 02 October 2017 - 04:12 AM, said:

So...the game and lore tells us that during the war with the clans, the Houses of the Inner Sphere are still warring against each other...ummm...where? All I see is IS vs Clan warfare, QP doesn't qualify as House vs House since its a mixed bag of everyone (Clan/IS/Merc), and iirc weren't some of the Clans historically at each other's throats as well behind the lines...where is that action?

Addendum - ...and FW is like IS QP mm vs Clan, come on...you would NEVER see Davion Mechs defending Liao boarders...except in MWO FW...oh well.

By the number of posts you have, I'm gonna conclude that you are new here..

Basically, forget everything you know about Lore and Battletech, and also any TT rules, if you wanna play MWO.

MWO is about as true to lore as Mario Kart is to F1 racing.

There is basically no mention of lore in this game. That's why we have a civil war without actual civil war infighting. Also why mechs don't have any descriptions, and why choosing a faction means nothing other than what faction pays more cbills / contract, which is also the reason most players are mercs - being a loyalist is not profitable.

So yeah.. enjoy MWO. "The thinking man's shooter".

Edited by Vellron2005, 03 October 2017 - 12:22 AM.

#26 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 12:29 AM

do books about made up space peoples have to deal with player populations and dlc/microtransaction/currency prices? No.

#27 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 03 October 2017 - 12:32 AM

View PostAJBennett, on 02 October 2017 - 04:12 AM, said:

So...the game and lore tells us that during the war with the clans, the Houses of the Inner Sphere are still warring against each other...ummm...where?

Russ committed this at a Town Hall earlier this year.

Then we had the Civil War Patch ... which delivered no actual Civil War.

It's just more evidence of how little PGI cares about MWO these days. I expect MW5 pre-orders to be announced at Mech Con.

#28 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 12:33 AM

you (by which I mean anyone, in the generic sense) will be much happier if you try to understand why changes are made, and then forgive/tolerate them and let it go. Seriously.

All the lore this, is that, clans whatever.... it's an incredible amount of salt being produced (not necessarily in this specific case, but again, in general) over literally nothing at all. A nothing at all that has, at times in itself, lacked consistency.

Just a really silly reason to be upset or unhappy or angry.

#29 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 12:36 AM

Guys the pop in MWO atm is really low. FP has no chance to have anything but a single queue, and IS won't be fighting IS unless there is surplus of IS players anyway, which is rarely ever the case, so I can't see them working it without it disrupting the queue in a negative way.

Sulla, Saibot and I sat in a 3 man in group queue last wednesday or thursday for FOUR hours without a single match, somewhere between 11am-4pm GMT. hampster wheel spinning for 4 hours guys.

Group queue is almost dead for a large stretch of the day as is. FP is similarly wait warrior on the regular,

#30 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 12:39 AM

wasn't the complaint that there are MORE is pilots because it is cheaper to get into, and thus more scrubs on the is side?

which is it? =p

#31 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 01:14 AM

View PostJingseng, on 03 October 2017 - 12:39 AM, said:

wasn't the complaint that there are MORE is pilots because it is cheaper to get into, and thus more scrubs on the is side?

which is it? =p

i thought the argument is that the clan players are better is usually because they generally are.

ie have a lower frequency of terrible at the game RPers, noob gen rushers and have clan tech, with less terrible builds. Which just makes them stronger players over time. Plus have had lots of merc units propping up clan over FPs history. I also expect them to being playing more games on avg which is the only thing that can explain them being the minority of the total pop and still being the majority in play. If someone scrapes the FP leaderboard we could find out if thats the case.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users