Should I Buy A Supernova If I Have A Deathstrike?

15 replies to this topic

#1 Hit the Deck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 02 October 2017 - 05:46 AM

6x cERLL 30DHS 1JJ XL350 DEATHSTRIKE

I'm thinking of buying a Supernova but I'd also want to buy a Deathstrike. The Deathstrike is more versatile since you can also do Gauss Vomit build on it and not to mention, it's faster.

I know that the SNV-1 have a small ERLL duration and durability quirks but they don't look that significant for general use a.k.a. solo pugging.

Since we don't have loadout saving feature yet, maybe it's worth it to buy both so you don't have to endure the hassle of swapping equipment.

#2 The Amazing Atomic Spaniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 02 October 2017 - 06:04 AM

I've got both. The SNV-1 has four energy mounts in each arm and they stick out a lot, so you can fire just one arm if the other is blocked or you can use both to shoot upwards at targets on the top of the troughs on Canyon or HPG Manifold etc. The Madcat MkII Deathstrike has only one energy point per arm, so it can't do either of those things. Not much of a difference, but I prefer my SNV-1 for laser boating and use the DS as a 2 x Gauss, 6 x ERML build.

#3 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 02 October 2017 - 06:08 AM

Shave some armor from your legs and mount a TCMK1 for even more range.

#4 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,823 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 02 October 2017 - 07:04 AM

View PostHit the Deck, on 02 October 2017 - 05:46 AM, said:

I'm thinking of buying a Supernova but I'd also want to buy a Deathstrike. The Deathstrike is more versatile since you can also do Gauss Vomit build on it and not to mention, it's faster.

I know that the SNV-1 have a small ERLL duration and durability quirks but they don't look that significant for general use a.k.a. solo pugging.

Since we don't have loadout saving feature yet, maybe it's worth it to buy both so you don't have to endure the hassle of swapping equipment.

Why would you do that to your deathstrike......it's such a waste of it's ability to dual gauss vomit.

As to your question, yes, you can buy a Supernova and do some really good laser vomit builds on it.

Edited by Vxheous, 02 October 2017 - 07:05 AM.

#5 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 02 October 2017 - 07:13 AM

View PostVxheous, on 02 October 2017 - 07:04 AM, said:

Why would you do that to your deathstrike......it's such a waste of it's ability to dual gauss vomit.

As to your question, yes, you can buy a Supernova and do some really good laser vomit builds on it.

Money (C-Bills and MC for the Mech Bays), man.

I don't have hundreds of millions c-bills like some of you guys. The money I spend on the Supernova (If I own the Deathstrike) can be used to buy something else.

Edited by Hit the Deck, 02 October 2017 - 07:15 AM.

#6 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 12:07 PM

Honestly if you are short on c-bills don't get any super novas except maybe the SNV-A since that gives you a jump capable clan 90 toner that has missiles hardpoints. That is if you want a SuperNova chassis in general.

The other consideration is if you plan on switching the Deathstrike's loadout to gauss and laser then you would have to reconsider the skills used for the build. You may be better off long term with a seperate chassis.

#7 InvictusLee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationStanding atop my MKII's missile pack, having a whisky and a cigar.

Posted 02 October 2017 - 04:04 PM

The Supernova is outclassed by the Madcat in every way.
Even laser vomit.

Just buy all the madcat variants.
There is actually an effective, non meta build for each of them!

#8 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 02 October 2017 - 04:49 PM

View PostLykaon, on 02 October 2017 - 12:07 PM, said:

The other consideration is if you plan on switching the Deathstrike's loadout to gauss and laser then you would have to reconsider the skills used for the build. You may be better off long term with a seperate chassis.

I totally forgot about the skill tree! Posted Image

I'd have to buy both, then.

#9 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 04:56 PM

MAD-IIC

Just to further add options to your quest for the ERLL boat I made one out of a MAD-IIC.

#10 MadRover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 568 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 05:57 PM

View PostHit the Deck, on 02 October 2017 - 05:46 AM, said:

You dont have to run Gauss builds on the Deathstrike. You can also run x2UAC10s and x6MPLs and take advantage of those quirks. It actually doesnt jam so often.

#11 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 02 October 2017 - 06:02 PM

The Marauder IIC poops all over the Supernova, so hard that I can't see why you'd buy the latter.

#12 panzer1b

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 06:24 PM

Running 6 ERLLs on a deathstrike is really not playing to the mech's advantages. The deathstrike has 2 very solid builds on it, and only 2, with 1 more that can be considered albeit its worse then the meta ones.

The first is 2 gauss and 6 ERML with your choice of heatsink number and engine. This has very good sustained DPS, can play agressively, and can both snipe with the gauss and mid range with the ERMLs, but isnt quite as scary in the poke game since its only 72 alfa strike, but its enough to make any mech consider you a threat.

The other main option is 2 gauss with 4 ERML and 2 HLL, giving you a whopping 94 alfa strike, enough to put any damaged mech down in a single shot, and enough to strip the CT armor off a heavy from 100%. Its really hot, or slow if you neglect the engine, but its got so much raw alfa strike that nothing short of a anni can afford to get hit by you. This is in my opinion the BEST build possible on the deathstrike (you can actually go higher alfa with HMLs but then range is an issue) since it has crazy damage, and all of that damage can be applied at 500m, meaning that you are 100% safe from any dedicated brawler.

Finally, you can try UAC vomit taking advantage of the quirks (uac jam chance), but generally speaking this isnt the chassis for any ballistic but gauss, and while it can always work, you are nothing compared to the kodiak or MCII-B or even the 85t mad2c-a with its triple ballistics. Still, if you tire of the meta builds, its something you can always look into...

#13 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 07:12 PM

Swapping the HLL down to ERLL affords you a better balance among heat, power, and speed. Still a gruesome 80-points, too, and better flexibility at range.

#14 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 03 October 2017 - 03:27 AM

View PostXetelian, on 02 October 2017 - 04:56 PM, said:

MAD-IIC

Just to further add options to your quest for the ERLL boat I made one out of a MAD-IIC.

Cool.

Unfortunately I don't have any MAD-IIC so it's kind of a moot point (no offense, just stating the fact Posted Image).

#15 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 03 October 2017 - 04:03 AM

View PostLT. HARDCASE, on 02 October 2017 - 06:02 PM, said:

The Marauder IIC poops all over the Supernova, so hard that I can't see why you'd buy the latter.

Supernova is arguably superior than MAD-IIC. Best teams used Supernovas in MWOWC, rather than MAD-IICs.

Edited by El Bandito, 03 October 2017 - 04:03 AM.

#16 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,823 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 03 October 2017 - 04:04 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 02 October 2017 - 07:12 PM, said:

Swapping the HLL down to ERLL affords you a better balance among heat, power, and speed. Still a gruesome 80-points, too, and better flexibility at range.

This one is my preferred build, but I know others on my team that will run the HLL version

View PostEl Bandito, on 03 October 2017 - 04:03 AM, said:

Supernova is arguably superior than MAD-IIC. Best teams used Supernovas in MWOWC, rather than MAD-IICs.

Supernova profile is big though, and you didn't see EmP using it. We used Mad IIc/Warhawk instead, take that as you will.

Edited by Vxheous, 03 October 2017 - 04:08 AM.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users