How's Balance Guys

57 replies to this topic

#1 Larrice

Rookie

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 07:01 PM

rejoining the game after hiatusing for a long time. i think the latest mech was the bowman/archer when i left? can someone gimme a rundown on how good/bad the meta is or big changes i gotta look out for

#2 Gwahlur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 462 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 07:03 PM

Honestly, if there is a big meta atm it's completely going over my head. Imo there's nothing that really outclasses the rest atm

#3 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 07:05 PM

I believe Gauss+Laser and Laser is the current meta.

Balance isn't too bad at the moment though, at least in QP. You can't go full blown stupid on your builds, but you can bring dumb things like MRMs and RACs (Two new weapons you should try) and have fun without being useless.

#4 Larrice

Rookie

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 07:08 PM

Doesn't sound too bad. So for centurion/atlas/blackjack/wolverine, how are they doing right now? i think that's what i had since i last played

#5 Gwahlur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 462 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 07:11 PM

I'm doing very well in my blackjack, playing an atlas is an exercise in frustration though. Way too slow and sluggish for comfort.
The other two i havent tried, but i know people do well in centurions

#6 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,834 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 29 September 2017 - 07:18 PM

Blackjacks and Centurions are still good mechs.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#7 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 07:21 PM

View PostLarrice, on 29 September 2017 - 07:08 PM, said:

Doesn't sound too bad. So for centurion/atlas/blackjack/wolverine, how are they doing right now? i think that's what i had since i last played

The Centurion works, as it always has, but its nothing special at this point. If you ran one of them with an AC/20 before, now you can pair it with a Snub PPC, for another 10 points of non-spread damage, which is nice.

The Blackjack is fine, though the skill tree and RAC/2 kind of took all the fun out of the BJ-1 (No longer Mega quirked for AC/2s).

The Wolverine works, though its at the bottom of the pile when it comes to its weight class. Pretty sure that was true way back when as well.

The Atlas is... not... good. It got a boost from Light Engines, UAC/20s, (arguably) MRMs, and the AS7-D has some monstrous armor quirks, but its not enough to save it. It's too slow, too fat, and too brawly.

#8 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 29 September 2017 - 07:32 PM

Clan mechs are still better. And Mist Lynx is back from the dead. Also the new skill tree... have fun with that. Ask the forumers before messing with it.

Edited by El Bandito, 30 September 2017 - 03:33 AM.

#9 Gwahlur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 462 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 07:33 PM

By the way, make sure you spend your historic skill points or whatever theyre called for skilling your mechs, don't use the general ones

#10 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 07:36 PM

None of them are close to meta but they're also not bottom of the barrel bad either. Depending on the variant you can get some decent mileage out of any of those. If you give me the variant names I could probably come up with some builds and give some explanations on them with new tech enhancements.

#11 Rovertoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 408 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 07:38 PM

Its great, Bushwackers are still beautiful. Racs are fun.

#12 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 07:47 PM

Centurion and Blackjack are average to below average, Wolverine is bad.

#13 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,999 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 29 September 2017 - 07:48 PM

View PostLarrice, on 29 September 2017 - 07:01 PM, said:

rejoining the game after hiatusing for a long time. i think the latest mech was the bowman/archer when i left? can someone gimme a rundown on how good/bad the meta is or big changes i gotta look out for

Up in the air. The Clans still seem superior overall, but with the vast array of weapons now available, the overall state of balance isn't clear. And since they just introduced all the new gear, PGI is looking closely at balance demographics to see what's up, with an eye to making changes.

It's a good time to come back, overall, and check out both sides of the tech divide. The more game telemetry we all generate, the better data set PGI will have. =)

The new skill tree also makes it easier to diversify your 'mech stable, particularly for Clan Omnimechs.

#14 Chados

• 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 30 September 2017 - 04:34 AM

I view Clan-IS balance as the best it's ever been. Clan mechs' better hardpoint distribution and lighter/smaller equipment give them the edge but not by much in the QP queues. In CW it's a lot more pronounced because you're getting all Clan v. all IS and the better teams all go Clans. In the MWOWC Clan mechs dominate because of that slight performance edge. But in mixed teams, the differences are more flavor as the IS typically brings more staying power. They might not be able to match the Clans alpha for alpha but they can shoot their weaker alphas more often. Civil War tech and the skill tree went a long way toward balancing the scales even in an era where quirks are becoming less of a thing.

I typically run IS in the 50-60 ton category right now, and most often. When I run lights and assaults I go Clan for the firepower and mobility. My stats might suck but my butt dyno says that I don't feel as overmatched mech for mech as I used to.

#15 Snazzy Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 30 September 2017 - 05:51 PM

The gap between a good mech and a mediocre one has widened considerably. Clan mechs are still better overall. Lights continue to be the least played, lowest scoring class, serving more as vultures than playmakers. Current weapon meta is laser vomit and gauss vomit again. ERLL boating and cERPPCs continue to be go to picks for competitive play.

Edited by Snazzy Dragon, 30 September 2017 - 05:52 PM.

#16 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 05:56 PM

View PostChados, on 30 September 2017 - 04:34 AM, said:

My stats might suck but my butt dyno says that I don't feel as overmatched mech for mech as I used to.

Careful, every motorhead knows the butt dyno likes to lie.

#17 Papaspud

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 639 posts
  • LocationIdaho, USA

Posted 30 September 2017 - 06:00 PM

Balance....hahahahaha.....just look at the the map....look at the faction leaderboards....all clan all the time, oh do you mean- does IS not suck quite as hard, well yea, depending. The new weapons are mostly meh, so you didn't miss a thing.

#18 Chados

• 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 01 October 2017 - 04:21 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 30 September 2017 - 05:56 PM, said:

Careful, every motorhead knows the butt dyno likes to lie.

LOL, true, but it's all about teh feelz in a computer game, and I just don't feel as underpowered as I used to feel. I'm not gittin' all that gud, so it's got to be the tech.

#19 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 01 October 2017 - 09:36 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 29 September 2017 - 07:47 PM, said:

Centurion and Blackjack are average to below average, Wolverine is bad.

The Wolverine is bad. Its the one mech that is beyond difficult to do well in. The version of the Phoenix Hawk I have is just as bad and for the same reasons. Basically the Inner Sphere doesn't have a super heavy laser and things like that.

Other than that balance isn't overly bad. Its close.

I would say some of the Clan high alpha lasers are a bit much. I just don't see even the heaviest Inner Sphere high alpha load outs do near what the Clan are doing.

+1 or the Blazer. (I think that is what it is called)

Edited by Johnny Z, 01 October 2017 - 09:43 AM.

#20 Magnus Santini

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 708 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 09:43 AM

Although this is not the flavor of the month, I feel like MPLs are hot, short range, weak, have no advantage over MLs, and are barely different from ER MLs. Now excuse me I have to go lose some cannon battles...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users