Social BattleMechs

227 replies to this topic

#181 Wayward Potato

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 02:16 PM

Voting Mongrel on this. Seems like a reasonable underdog in votes, which I like :)

#182 CK16

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 30 October 2017 - 04:20 AM

My bet is on the MW4 Hellhound in some variation.

#183 storm0545

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 94 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 04:46 AM

Shadowhawk IIC just because i really want one.

#184 Jonathan8883

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 708 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 11:02 AM

I voted (earlier) for the Black Lanner because it has ECM.

#185 Daurock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 529 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 30 October 2017 - 11:09 AM

Voting Mongrel

#186 Verilligo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 789 posts
  • LocationPodunk, U.S.A.

Posted 30 October 2017 - 12:58 PM

Imma go ahead and vote Black Lanner. Specifically because it's "politically" appropriate for deflecting concerns leveled after announcing the Piranha. The fishmech is loaded to the brim with hardpoints, causing cries of power creep. So to combat the appearance that they're inflating the power of Clan mechs and in response to their own data indicating such, they release a 55 ton mech with limited hardpoints and even MORE limited tonnage. It still carries respectable firepower with heavy lasers and ATMs, but its selling point will be its speed, particularly with MASC. A 55-tonner that can match the speed of light mechs in short bursts will differentiate it from the Stormcrow.

Also expect that the Stormcrow will continue to be banned from Scouting and instead the Black Lanner will be allowed. This will mollify both Spheroids and Clanners, what with Clanners having a 55 ton option while still being restricted from carrying the firepower of the Great Imaginary Devil. This will have been part of the reason they released the Luthien statistics and will pointed to as justification for their changes.

#187 Kijiro Bugboy

• PipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 57 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • Locationthe homeworld of a race of fuzzy raptors

Posted 30 October 2017 - 02:08 PM

View PostVerilligo, on 30 October 2017 - 12:58 PM, said:

Imma go ahead and vote Black Lanner. Specifically because it's "politically" appropriate for deflecting concerns leveled after announcing the Piranha. The fishmech is loaded to the brim with hardpoints, causing cries of power creep. So to combat the appearance that they're inflating the power of Clan mechs and in response to their own data indicating such, they release a 55 ton mech with limited hardpoints and even MORE limited tonnage. It still carries respectable firepower with heavy lasers and ATMs, but its selling point will be its speed, particularly with MASC. A 55-tonner that can match the speed of light mechs in short bursts will differentiate it from the Stormcrow.

Also expect that the Stormcrow will continue to be banned from Scouting and instead the Black Lanner will be allowed. This will mollify both Spheroids and Clanners, what with Clanners having a 55 ton option while still being restricted from carrying the firepower of the Great Imaginary Devil. This will have been part of the reason they released the Luthien statistics and will pointed to as justification for their changes.

Now that is a reason that Vapor Eagle advocates often don't take into account.

Also, I personally prefer the Arctic Wolf OmniMech over the BattleMech. It's mainly because I don't like the BattleMech hardpoints and the hands look weird. Call me weird, but that's how I feel.

Edited by Asriel Dreemur, 30 October 2017 - 02:09 PM.

#188 Armorine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 398 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 02:26 PM

please sweet lord in heaven give me the MW4 hellhound

#189 Zesnam

Rookie

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 03:22 PM

I'm going to vote for the Black Lanner

#190 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 05:08 PM

View PostVillain Panda, on 26 October 2017 - 04:59 PM, said:

Lets go Stooping Hawk! I know it is not popular but it needs recognition as a Clan Omni with a standard engine and 21 tons of podspace.
Spoiler

It's surely an underrated unit. The STD-engine seems like a suboptimal choice for a ClanMech, but a closer examination reveals it is not that bad. The Stooping Hawk has no fixed equipment, and despite the STD it has a lot of podspace; 21 tons are not bad.

I mean with an XL it would be a 55t Huntsman, more or less, but thanks to the STD it could become something new for the Clans: a super tanky medium. PGI just needs to add some defensive quirks, and we might get a viable tank with zombie capacity.
It's certainly not the most effective way to play the Clans, but it's a new experience and it could work. As such the Stooping Hawk would be a meaningful addition to the Clan line-up.

View PostPariah Devalis, on 28 October 2017 - 08:39 AM, said:

Every time I see this thread, or threads like it, I wonder the same. So many good options, and they want the potato.

You know, if people actually had a reason for liking it, I'd be more understanding. The Black Lanner is, after all, very interesting for fans of cavalry Mechs, because it takes that principle to an extreme. If you like overengined units, the Lanner is good for you.

But I doubt cavalry Mechs have such a fanbase here - they certainly don't when it comes to the IS, I can tell you! - so I wonder what the appeal of the Black Lanner is...
It is literally a light Mech stuck in a 55t chassis. And seeing how 'popular' lights are, I think people will have trouble using it.

#191 arcana75

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 06:22 PM

I vote Hellhound.

#192 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 05:47 AM

Question on the voting procedure... In the lore, Conjurer and Hellhound are one and the same Mech, the latter just being the reporting name of the IS. The MW:4 rendition is simply that, a rendition to make the Mech less humanoid (official explanation) and to avoid legal trouble (the original 1992 TRO:3055 artwork stems from VMI). The 2005 TRO:3055U redesign is again radically different, albeit more humanoid this time.

So is the vote about a certain art direction (humanoid vs less humanoid), about the reporting name, or something else? What if they call it the Conjurer, sticking to their practice of using Clan names, but decide for the MW:4-style art? Who'd win in that case?

#193 Steve Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 31 October 2017 - 06:14 AM

So tomorrow they will announce a new mech(pack). Normally I would say a new IS mech but Clans are still lacking mechs in comparison to IS so maybe the Black Lanner? I don't know.

#194 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 06:49 AM

View PostFLG 01, on 31 October 2017 - 05:47 AM, said:

Question on the voting procedure... In the lore, Conjurer and Hellhound are one and the same Mech, the latter just being the reporting name of the IS. The MW:4 rendition is simply that, a rendition to make the Mech less humanoid (official explanation) and to avoid legal trouble (the original 1992 TRO:3055 artwork stems from VMI). The 2005 TRO:3055U redesign is again radically different, albeit more humanoid this time.

So is the vote about a certain art direction (humanoid vs less humanoid), about the reporting name, or something else? What if they call it the Conjurer, sticking to their practice of using Clan names, but decide for the MW:4-style art? Who'd win in that case?

MW4:Mercenaries uses the IS names for Clan 'mechs (at least it does in the manual, I don't have it installed), so only the design counts for this competition.

View PostSteve Pryde, on 31 October 2017 - 06:14 AM, said:

So tomorrow they will announce a new mech(pack). Normally I would say a new IS mech but Clans are still lacking mechs in comparison to IS so maybe the Black Lanner? I don't know.

We know 100% it will be a Clan Medium, hence this thread Posted Image

#195 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 06:57 AM

Well, in any case, my guess is the Black Lanner.

#196 Righter8

• PipPipPip
  • The Raptor
  • The Raptor
  • 56 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 07:47 AM

Battle Cobra

#197 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 31 October 2017 - 01:17 PM

Vapor Eagle pretty please

#198 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 31 October 2017 - 01:51 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 30 October 2017 - 05:08 PM, said:

But I doubt cavalry Mechs have such a fanbase here - they certainly don't when it comes to the IS, I can tell you!

The ISXL vulnerability is a severe nerf to most cavalry builds before they've even left the stable. Lose the XL and they just don't have the weapon tonnage to compete. If you want to go cavalry you have to go clan.

#199 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 31 October 2017 - 02:36 PM

Got this... gut feeling. I even can imagine how Alex would make the concept art for the MW4 Hellhound.. I wonder...
Also the Black Lanner...

Yup! One of those two tomorrow.
if not, alright I'll eat my old shoes... if I can spice em Posted Image

#200 Stridercal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 260 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 31 October 2017 - 03:52 PM

Official contest vote is going to be Black Lanner, because it sucks, so of course we'll get that.

(But my personal hope is for Vapor Eagle!)

46 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 46 guests, 0 anonymous users