My Viper Build.

2 replies to this topic

#1 Xim Prime

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 40 posts
  • LocationBcn,Catalonia,near Spain

Posted 05 October 2017 - 08:05 AM

Nova S it's the direct competitor of this one,but Viper goes at higher speed,making it a serious interceptor:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8830ccb502617a6

I just put all skill points to firepower and survivality,mobility isn't needed cus you already move fast.

Edited by Xim Prime, 05 October 2017 - 08:05 AM.

#2 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 05 October 2017 - 04:59 PM

View PostXim Prime, on 05 October 2017 - 08:05 AM, said:

Nova S it's the direct competitor of this one,but Viper goes at higher speed,making it a serious interceptor:

I just put all skill points to firepower and survivality,mobility isn't needed cus you already move fast.

Okay. I saw your post before I had to leave for work, but did not have time to respond till now. (FYI: No. I'm not stalking you Xim.I frequent the New Player Help forum a lot, and open up threads in it that seem interesting or that I might be able to help with. I had opened this one without realizing you had created it.)

A couple of suggestions/notes:
- I'm going to presume that you don't have your back armor as high as shown on Smurfy. If so, then you are fine. If not, really need to place that armor on the front. (Just to make sure is all.)
- You are going to be really close ranged for your damage. Not a problem, but a caution note.
- You have some tonnage and space left, as well as an extra energy slot remaining. Is it possible to maybe place a single ER Micro laser in your CT? Or would that trigger ghost heat if you alpha with it? (Not sure on the ghost heat limits on the new weapons yet...)
- Looks nasty, but you may want to consider a slightly different allotment for your skill tree. I'm going to guess that this build will be running fairly warm. Warmer than the 56% cooling on Smurfy says. So, my suggestion on skills would probably be: Survival. I max it out, but I've heard that mediums and lights should concentrate on getting the Hardened Armor skills.
The JJ skill tree could be useful for this mech, but completely optional. I've seen serious strength in the JJ tree, but different people have different tastes.
Operations tree should be aimed at to get at least three of the cool run skills, if not all of them. They make a huge difference, especially on high heat builds. Even your build probably would find it nice to have when push comes to shove.
I also wouldn't overlook at least portions of the (consumable) skill tree. If your build runs hot, aim for the cool shot skills. Otherwise, pick up the extra module slot and maybe UAV skills and take a UAV or two and/or a Strike.
Any extra points not seen needed elsewhere should be tossed into weapon tree. For your build, probably will need cooldown for the longer cooldowns of the HLs, and those laser duration ones, because HLs also tend to have a rather lengthy duration (though smalls probably don't on either account). From there, weapon range, which would help those HMGs (and HSLs) to hit a little farther out if needed.

Before I could say more, I'd have to test the build out... Don't know if it will run toasty or cool. So adjust your skills to the needs of your mech (of course). Test it out a few times with only survival tree done (and maybe JJ tree if that fits your fancy). If it seems like it needs something, start working on those skills.

#3 Shade4x

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 190 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 01:36 AM

View PostXim Prime, on 05 October 2017 - 08:05 AM, said:

Ok, first off, you want to max mobility. the whole "It goes fast enough" thing aside, your going to get way more survivability by being faster and more mobile then you will getting 10% armor and some structure quirks.

Ok, on to the build. Heavy small lasers have a REALLY long beam duration and cooldown. You also paired it with heavy machine guns. If you went heavy small lasers, you can torso twist during cooldowns, with machine guns you have to keep them on the target the whole time. Also a side note, you will never ever use 4 tons of machine gun ammo, like even if the enemy team is afk.

I would suggest dropping 2 1/2 tons of machine gun ammo (so 1 1/2 ton total), then you need a weapon that can do damage, has range for drive by's or stalemates, and is still good at close range. So your optimal range is within 90, but you can now do damage up to 800 range (400 optimal). So now you need a way for a 45 ton mech to survive. Well, the only way to keep a mech that light safe in a brawl is if the enemy's litterly did not shoot at you. So lets add 2 flamers to the 3 medium lasers. Now we can overheat Assults, and shoot them in the back, while your heavy machine guns tear apart it's structure.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...cda21f7d28b06f9

That seems more the direction you seem to be heading. I would suggest trying out your design, then play a game or two with that design, and see which one preforms better and is more fun.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users