#1 Rebel Ace Fryslan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 441 posts
  • LocationAd Astra

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:38 AM

Some things put up the hairs on my back in the MW5 preview on pcgamer

But this next 1 made a bit MAD at russ.

"[color=#333333]Unlike MechWarrior Online, where players can customise their mech chassis in a variety of ways, MechWarrior 5 will stick to the lore and force players to choose between strictly defined roles. “It’s great for a PVP game because the level of customisation is huge,” Bullock tells me. “But if we allowed that in MechWarrior 5, you essentially negate the free market. There’s no need to keep your eyes peeled for that Jenner JR7-F that has Ferro-Fibrous armour if you take your JR7-D and just put Ferro-Fibrous armour on it.""[/color]

[color=#333333]Is he really telling there that he thinks MWO is ment to be played as PVP.[/color]

[color=#333333]I disagree completly with that, my games are about playing with the team, assist and get assisted. A strategy, communicate. [/color]

[color=#333333]That's why FP can be so much fun.[/color]
[color=#333333]And it seems that's why FP isn't the heart of attention to PGI.[/color]
[color=#333333]It seems that the directions aren't pointed to get the mechwarriors up in quality so they can drop down together in a big Mech battlemech fight.[/color]

[color=#333333]If that was the intention FP would be made better each patch with maps content and flair of lore. [/color]

[color=#333333]Excitement![/color]
[color=#333333]It lacks![/color]

#2 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:40 AM

It hasn't even fallen off the first page yet.

So Mechwarrior 5, In The Eyes Of Pc Gamer

Edited by Bombast, 10 October 2017 - 08:43 AM.

#3 Curccu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,622 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:48 AM

Wait what Russ thinks this is PVP game and you think this is ????-game?
Yours and Russ definition of PVP game might not be same.

PS. You might want to edit your post, hard to read with those bbcode tags or whatever they are.

#4 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:51 AM

He's just saying that customization plays a bigger role in a game centered around player versus player. Which MWO is and MW5 will not be. And more importantly if they had stuck to lore builds for MWO it'd be an even more lopsided balancing mess.

#5 N0ni

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:26 AM

I like how the comparison was between a Jenner F and Jenner D, which are completely different.

Also, customization was a thing in just about every other mechwarrior campaign with included logistics, why stop now? Hell, MW2: Mercs did an awesome job with the market because there could be certain events happening that you'd find in the news on Outreach I.E. "this thing is going down causing production to halt on this weapon type"... and it wouldn't appear in the market so you'd have to prepare and buy spares ahead of time or wait until later to buy it.

Lore builds might be fun for some, but they are miserable for everyone else. Giving the player more choice is a good thing.

#6 Magnus Santini

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 708 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:49 AM

Tinkering in the mechlab is fun. But there may be other stuff in the new game which is also fun. Like component shopping. "You went to Dollar Ammo instead of Lurms-R-Us?" "I had a coupon."

#7 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,929 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:12 PM

i dont like that theres no mech lab. but i suppose its nice to do something different. old mechwarrior games had me spending more time screwing around in the mechlab than playing mechwarrior. chasing stock builds i suppose is a different approach. something like 60 chassis and 400 varients can make up for it. it will keep me from running the same cheese builds i tended to use in other mw games.

i do kind of wish that mechs would have at least a few minor upgrade options, some level up required for each, though nowhere near as grindy as what mwo has. like the ability to change ammo types or to upgrade weapons to slightly better varients. many games will just be a salvage hunt just to keep your mechs in good shape for the big money missions.

Edited by LordNothing, 10 October 2017 - 12:16 PM.

#8 CK16

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:14 PM

I like this, I am sure they will have some customization to your mechs and not locked to just stock builds, but what you can will be limited as it states. They should follow BT rules pretty close as well as add refit time and cost. Installing new weapons even takes weeks IIRC. Engines and Structure? HA ypu better have deep pockets and time. Cause your techs are probably not qualified if not entirely not capable of such a task (Long story short it's building the mech from the ground up again, these not are not quick change out pieces on battlemechs)

#9 John Archer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 402 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 10 October 2017 - 01:32 PM

I'm guessing that MW5 will not have salvage. It is the salvage that allows one to customize one's mech (the fast and dirty way) if I remember correctly.

#10 James Argent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 01:43 PM

I'm sure MW5 will have salvage. What you salvage may not fit on every particular mech you own, but it would certainly fit on one it was made for.

What makes me wonder is if freight for all the things you salvage will cost money, making it something you'd have to decide after each mission whether to keep that Locust with the leg and torso blown off or if it would be smarter to just strip the weapons and sell the rest to a junk dealer.

#11 Athom83

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 10 October 2017 - 01:54 PM

For the love of [insert deity], please use the "Paste as Plain Text" thing for posting.

#12 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 10 October 2017 - 03:18 PM

View PostRebel Ace Fryslan, on 10 October 2017 - 08:38 AM, said:

....“It’s great for a PVP game because the level of customisation is huge,” [/b]Bullock tells me. “But if we allowed that in MechWarrior 5, you essentially negate the free market.

He's saying customization is great for a PVP game like MWO, but won't be good for MW5 for a variety of reasons. Implied is also that MW5 wouldn't see the advantages MWO gets because MW5 is a PvE game.

Edited by Wintersdark, 10 October 2017 - 03:22 PM.

#13 Mechwarrior1441491

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 04:17 PM

It's always been a bad thing that they didn't include corporation specific gear. It would add a whole different achievement tree. Hell, they don't even need to add performance. A visual? Collect all the Tyrell Lasers and you unlock a company camp or decal?

Oh wait, I forgot that if they aren't making any cash off something they won't produce it. I'm sad at the current state of games. Essentially these games asking for crowdfunding or they won't make their product well rounded and attractive to gamers.

MW5 may be interesting if you have a permanent damage option. That way salvage would have a purpose.

Edited by Mechwarrior1441491, 10 October 2017 - 04:19 PM.

#14 Rebel Ace Fryslan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 441 posts
  • LocationAd Astra

Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:11 AM

@curccu i have that problem with this forum i haven't added any bb-code myself. I can not even quote anything.

That's also why i can't really discuss without the quote option working.

Edited by Rebel Ace Fryslan, 11 October 2017 - 02:13 AM.

#15 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:23 AM

View PostRebel Ace Fryslan, on 11 October 2017 - 02:11 AM, said:

@curccu i have that problem with this forum i haven't added any bb-code myself. I can not even quote anything.

That's also why i can't really discuss without the quote option working.

The bbq code is there because you highlited some text on another page
In this case PC Gamer

And in a modern Windows/Browser you also copy the font, color and size with it

And this forum usually has trouble working with it

I found it usefull to just copy and paste the text you want to quote into a simple txt file and copy it from there into the MWO forum (without saving)

In the text file it will loose all formatting

On Quote

You mean the quote function under someone's post?
Hmm
Funny issue

Or you mean [*quote] text is quoted here if you remove * [*/quote] ?

text is quoted here if you remove *

Btw

Color #33333 is a grey
Probably couldn't read it here like that :D

Edited by Peter2k, 11 October 2017 - 02:26 AM.

#16 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:35 AM

Unless it has quadmechs i ain't interested!

SCORPION OR I RIOT!

#17 ForceUser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 894 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 04:07 AM

View PostMechwarrior1441491, on 10 October 2017 - 04:17 PM, said:

It's always been a bad thing that they didn't include corporation specific gear. It would add a whole different achievement tree. Hell, they don't even need to add performance. A visual? Collect all the Tyrell Lasers and you unlock a company camp or decal?

Oh wait, I forgot that if they aren't making any cash off something they won't produce it. I'm sad at the current state of games. Essentially these games asking for crowdfunding or they won't make their product well rounded and attractive to gamers.

MW5 may be interesting if you have a permanent damage option. That way salvage would have a purpose.

FYI MW5 will have different manufacturers making weapons with different stats:

Likewise, different manufacturers will make variations of weapon systems, giving players granular control over every aspect of their mechs.

#18 Rebel Ace Fryslan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 441 posts
  • LocationAd Astra

Posted 11 October 2017 - 04:57 AM

My beef wasn't about MW5, seems to become a nice game.

My beef was they haven't made this game towards the Teambased game it has to be in FP.
Solo Qp is good for learning, but the goal has to be the greater FP element.

They haven't stitched the expand play base making and the REAL gaming experience in FP (with context and content) together.

And by simplifying MWO as only PVP (witch he isn't really saying) you're not helping the game. it looks like just another FPS, witch i think we know it isn't

#19 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:35 AM

View PostJohn Archer, on 10 October 2017 - 01:32 PM, said:

I'm guessing that MW5 will not have salvage. It is the salvage that allows one to customize one's mech (the fast and dirty way) if I remember correctly.

There's a lot of little things that PGI is ignoring that gives a "Mercenaries" title it's flavor. Stuff that was addressed in previous MW titles, going all the way back to MW2:Mercs. Monthly upkeep, repair and rearm taking time as well as currency, modifications also taking time and currency (meaning said mechs are not available during the timeframe).

Funny thing is, in this day and age, you'd expect a developer to improve on previous titles...not go backwards. It wouldn't be hard to add techs to the cost you pay per month and have them reduce downtime based on skill. Wouldn't be hard to set up an online economy where people can trade or sell mechs and parts, either, for that matter.

WAY beyond PGI's ability, though.

#20 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:41 AM

View PostForceUser, on 11 October 2017 - 04:07 AM, said:

FYI MW5 will have different manufacturers making weapons with different stats:

Today I Learned that apparently PGI traded its mech models for HBS's design documentation.

Fair enough, really.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users