To .Com or Not to .Com

13 replies to this topic

Poll: To .Com or Not to .Com (15 member(s) have cast votes)

What type of domain name would YOU register?

1. .Com is the ONLY way to go (4 votes [26.67%])

Percentage of vote: 26.67%

2. .Org is just as good and allows more name choice (plus you ARE a non profit org) (3 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. Doesn't really matter as long as its a TLD with a name you like (4 votes [26.67%])

4. What the heck is a TLD? (4 votes [26.67%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:28 PM

So, I find myself in the unique position of having to register a domain name for the Grimm Reaper Company (Battalion, Regiment, whatever... Depends on how big we get).

I could do a few things here...

I could seek out a .Com name and probably get something less than ideal.
I could seek out a .Org name and have a lot more variety.

How important are .Com names to people? I survived on Hadean.Org for EVE Online for 7 years and had no issues. I suppose I could have registered HadeanDriveYards.com but that just seemed so damn long to type out.

What would YOU do?

Edited by Mason Grimm, 20 December 2011 - 08:29 PM.

#2 Seth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 785 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:20 PM

GrimReaperCompany.com is available, so you're good to go there. Your unit name+.com domains are always preferable since they are the easiest to remember. The .org and .net are a good second, and after a while they just sound right. Sarna.com sounds weird to me for example. But the most important thing you should do before registering domains is so a google search for domain name coupons. I bought mwowiki.org for less than $2.

EDIT: I'll 'like' your original post if you make a geocities site :)

Edited by Seth, 20 December 2011 - 09:22 PM.

#3 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:27 PM

Geocities doesn't even exist anymore does it? I remember starting a free site on Geocities back in '99 I think it was.

Domain name coupons? Interesting concept!

I was going to go with GrimmReaperCompany but it may grow from a Company to a Battalion in this game LOL and GrimmReapers.com was taken by some bloody french speaking WoW guild. Oh the nerve!!!!!

Edited by Mason Grimm, 20 December 2011 - 09:31 PM.

#4 S3dition

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts
  • LocationWashington, USA

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:43 PM

Ugh, Geocities couldn't have died soon enough.

Anyway, don't forget about .net. Depending on what you want to sink into it, you can get hosting at a place like www.justhost.com and install joomla or wordpress. Most good hosts will have a plethora of modules that you can activate in 3 steps or less.

#5 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:56 PM

I'm going to be using Evo-Extreme and a custom theme template :) I already have it setup on a dummy domain/host that I keep laying around for stuff like that. Just trying to decide how I want to approach the TLD

#6 CaveMan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,127 posts
  • LocationIn a leather flying cap and goggles

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:26 PM

.x x x for the lulz!

Edited by CaveMan, 20 December 2011 - 10:26 PM.

#7 Seth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 785 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:43 AM

Godaddy will let you install Joomla, Wordpress, Drupal, and Simple Machines Forum directly from their Hosting Control Center, which makes it really easy for me. I like the Simple Machines Forum myself because it's got an active mod community and an integrated portal page. I've never used Evo-Extreme, so I can't tell you which is better, but I've never been a fan of PHPbb.

P.S. I'll give you all 20 of my daily 'likes' if you find a way to set up a geocities site anyways!

Edited by Seth, 21 December 2011 - 12:44 AM.

#8 Ghost

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 07:37 AM

I'd roll with .org myself.

I might be just a little biased though -- some of my favorite sites run .org.

#9 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 21 December 2011 - 07:46 AM

Ghost, I'm just spit-balling right now :D

For everyone else, TLD = Top Level Domain (.com, .net, .org are all examples of TLDs)

#10 Dihm

• 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:40 AM

Do people still type out links? Isn't that what favorites and hyperlinks are for?

#11 Firefly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 757 posts
  • LocationAtlanta GA

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:04 AM

Ending doesn't matter - the URL does. And by that I mean, typing in "http://www.grimreapercompany.com" is a pain in the rear for some people, my advice would be to shorten it. Maybe grimreapers.com or something similar. Leave off the "company" or shorten it to "co".

#12 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:42 AM

View PostPeltarius, on 22 December 2011 - 09:29 AM, said:

Whatever you do do not go with Go Daddy. They have absolutely the worse support of any domain provider I have known, as well as using disingenuous business practices and having a scumbag boss. I use Dreamhost myself, but anyone is better than Go Daddy.

The problem is Danica Patrick is just too damn sexy to resist!!!!

Actually my host registers my domain names for me; included when opening a new hosting account. I'm currently finishing up a community oriented MechWarrior Online project and then will be moving on to the Grimm Reaper project. ;)

#13 Firefly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 757 posts
  • LocationAtlanta GA

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:16 AM

View PostPeltarius, on 22 December 2011 - 09:29 AM, said:

Whatever you do do not go with Go Daddy. They have absolutely the worse support of any domain provider I have known, as well as using disingenuous business practices and having a scumbag boss. I use Dreamhost myself, but anyone is better than Go Daddy.

Sorry your experience was so crappy. I've had nothing but pleasant experiences with GoDaddy - and I didn't even ask. After I registered my domain names (I already had a host and thus after pointing domains they were all set), they called me at home and asked how everything was going. The guy said, towards the end, that he would have offered to help set up the website but they checked to see how I was doing and noticed that I was fully operational. They also gave me a direct-line contact to a customer service rep who could help me, rather than have me call some 800 number and have to wade through any automated prompts.

#14 Draelren

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 191 posts
  • LocationBeaverton, OR

Posted 23 December 2011 - 05:00 PM

Aside from the lack of support for certain tools and php scripts, godaddy hasn't been bad IMO for the sites I've used with them. But only do basic sites with them is my advice.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users