Cooldown Bonuses From Quirks And The Skill Tree.

No replies to this topic

#1 Mike Barnes

• PipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 12:43 PM

Perhaps this has been posted before or perhaps even I'm wrong about intentions and what is going on. It does seem to me though that the implementation of cooldown from both nodes and 'Mech quirks is incorrect. The scale used is asymptotic rather than linear. This gives us things being a bit more effective than intended. For our example we will use a max cooldown quirked Mjolnir and SDH-2H with an AC/10. I will also talk about how it should be done to get a more stable balance of DPS.

The Problem

AC/10 Baseline stats
Damage 10
Heat 2.75
Cool down 2.5 seconds

Derived stats
Shots per second 0.4
DPS 4
HPS 1.1

The method used in game appears from the listings in the tooltips to be; where:
t = cool down time
p = percentage of cooldown in decimal form.
x-(x*p)
This gives us a non linear scaling of DPS and HPS as a linear scaling we would expect a 22% bonus to DPS on the GHR-M and a 27% bonus on the SHD-2H, however this is what we get.

Mjolnir with maximum cool down from skill tree has 22% cool down bonus on the AC/10
Basic stats with Cooldowns as listed
Damage 10
Heat 2.75
Cool Down 1.95 seconds

Derived Stats
Shots per scond 0.513
DPS 5.13
HPS 1.41

What I would expect DPS and HPS wise from a 22% increase in firing speed
DPS 4.88
HPS 1.342

The actual increase here is a 28.25% increase to performance.

SHD-2H with maximum cool down from skill tree has 27% cool down bonus on the AC/10
Basic stats with Cooldowns as listed
Damage 10
Heat 2.75
Cool Down 1.825 seconds

Derived Stats
Shots per scond 0.548
DPS 5.48
HPS 1.486

What I would expect DPS and HPS wise from a 22% increase in firing speed
DPS 5.08
HPS 1.397

The actual increase here is a 37% increase to performance. Note that the 5% bonus difference between the grasshopper and the shadow hawk on paper translates to an 8.75% difference in reality. And while the GHR has 6.25% more DPS than anticipated the SHD has a full 10% and this discrepancy would only get worse with 'Mechs like the Dragon-Fang with a 20% to AC/10s, because the implementation is non linear.

The Fix

What we want to do here is have the base shots per second be multiplied by the bonus, so a 22% bonus to cool down results in a 22% bonus to DPS or 27% gives back 27% or 300% gives back 300%. The fomula to find the corresponding value for cool down time works like this
s = shots per second
p = percentage increase in decimal form

1/(s*(1+p)) = Cool down time

In my Grasshopper example this would look like this

1/(.4(1+.22)) = 1/.488 = 2.049 seconds

Or the SHD
1/(.4(1+.27)) = 1/.508 = 1.969 seconds

For lasers with the beam time and the cool down as well, the calculation would just need to be done for both. I do know that this isn't the most intuitive thing in the world, however I do think it would help the game, and greatly improve the effectiveness of balance passes in the future.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users