Nova Cat Legs

8 replies to this topic

#1 Aelisish Sinclair

Rookie

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:19 PM

I will keep it simple. Am I the only one who thinks the Nova Cat's leg animations just look bad and need a fix?

#2 N0ni

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:23 PM

Already mentioned in another thread so no, you're not the only one.

#3 Aelisish Sinclair

Rookie

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:27 PM

View PostN0ni, on 24 October 2017 - 06:23 PM, said:

Already mentioned in another thread so no, you're not the only one.

Hadn't seen any other threads on it so i wasn't sure. But i didnt look too hard either.

#4 Jun Watarase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:45 PM

Its not just the legs, the mech itself looks bad. The thin waist just amkes the side torsos even easier to single out, and the pauldrons on the arms just make the arms easier to hit.

I sometimes wonder if PGI makes clan mechs with bad hitboxes on purpose. I mean, it says a lot when the Orion IIC has one of the best hitboxes for clan mechs. Clan mechs usually have one or more of the following :

-Most or all the weapons in the arms + huge arms (Kitfox-D, several Novacat variants)

-Very long and wide torsos that are easy to hit from the sides because the arms do not shield them (timber wolf, EBJ, Marauder IIC)

-Low slung weapon arms for long range mechs that are easily blocked by terrain when sniping (warhawk, cougar, adder)

-CT mounted cockpits to make it easier for enemies to blind you

-Very wide torsos in general (nova cat, kitfox, EBJ, adder, cougar) that usually aren't compensated for with durability quirks

#5 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:15 PM

The only thing that gets me is the toe slide as the leg starts to lift, as it looks like the mech is slipping every time it takes a step.

IK WOULD FIX THAT *shakes fist at performance issues*

#6 Brauer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 08:07 PM

View PostJun Watarase, on 24 October 2017 - 06:45 PM, said:

Its not just the legs, the mech itself looks bad. The thin waist just amkes the side torsos even easier to single out, and the pauldrons on the arms just make the arms easier to hit.

I sometimes wonder if PGI makes clan mechs with bad hitboxes on purpose. I mean, it says a lot when the Orion IIC has one of the best hitboxes for clan mechs. Clan mechs usually have one or more of the following :

-Most or all the weapons in the arms + huge arms (Kitfox-D, several Novacat variants)

-Very long and wide torsos that are easy to hit from the sides because the arms do not shield them (timber wolf, EBJ, Marauder IIC),

-Low slung weapon arms for long range mechs that are easily blocked by terrain when sniping (warhawk, cougar, adder)

-CT mounted cockpits to make it easier for enemies to blind you

-Very wide torsos in general (nova cat, kitfox, EBJ, adder, cougar) that usually aren't compensated for with durability quirks

I play clan mechs quits a bit, and while many have some less than advantageous hitboxes I think they the mechs work out well overall,. Usually a clan mech that doesn't work out for me is a problem due to locked equipment, not bad hitnoxes. I also think some of the issues above (Nova Cay weapons in arms, long unshieldable CT on the EBJ and TBR, low arms on LBK) are present in the designs to begin with, changing that would mean you may as well not license Battletech to begin with. I would disagree on the Marauder IIC HITBOXES, I think they perform well, and shield the CT. From experience fighting marauders they are a pain to kill unless you get behind them. As a clanner I expect my machines to be squishier, and the damage they can do usually compensates well enough for me.

#7 Rovertoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 408 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 09:35 PM

We should start an issue tracker topic to get an animation pass. The biggest offenders being:

Uziel
Nova Cat
Mad Cat MK II (maybe kinda)
Nightstar (also maybe kinda, KCrab walk is bearable and is arguably better on NS than KGC)

The funniest thing is that all these mechs have a really good personalized cockpit item animation, just get whoever animated those to fix up the real mech walks and were golden!

Edited by Rovertoo, 24 October 2017 - 09:37 PM.

#8 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 25 October 2017 - 02:13 AM

View PostRovertoo, on 24 October 2017 - 09:35 PM, said:

We should start an issue tracker topic to get an animation pass. The biggest offenders being:

Uziel
Nova Cat
Mad Cat MK II (maybe kinda)
Nightstar (also maybe kinda, KCrab walk is bearable and is arguably better on NS than KGC)

The funniest thing is that all these mechs have a really good personalized cockpit item animation, just get whoever animated those to fix up the real mech walks and were golden!

Don't forget the Atlas, which basically rubberbands the whole time, and the DireWolf's tippy-toe..

#9 Nema Nabojiv

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts
  • LocationUA

Posted 25 October 2017 - 02:33 AM

View PostAelisish Sinclair, on 24 October 2017 - 06:19 PM, said:

I will keep it simple. Am I the only one who thinks the Nova Cat's leg animations just look bad and need a fix?

This is how it should look. MW4 walking animations in general are far superior to those in MWO. Especially on all kinds of mechs with non-human like legs

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users