13 replies to this topic

#1 Gallowglas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 12:15 AM

Hey gang,

After about a year of hiatus, I'm getting the itch to start playing MWO again. Either that, or I've got poison ivy. Possibly an allergic reaction. But most likely it's an urge to play.

Anyway, one of the main reasons I stopped playing is because my unit (DWAR) largely stopped playing. There are still a few who drop occasionally, but what I'm really looking for is a larger unit that has a decent number of folks online any given night and which supports players who are interested in a variety of play styles: from casual to competitive.

More specifically, I'm looking for a group of players who aren't a bunch of screaming 12-year-olds with voices that haven't changed yet, but who sport pilot names like xxXXDEATHMENACE2000XXxx. I'd really prefer to not have to yell at more kids to get off my lawn. Bonus points if they occasionally get my references to movies like the Princess Bride.

I'd like to bring a few of my guys along with me too. There aren't a lot of us still playing, but rather than just say "LATER SUCKAS!", I'd like to be a part of a solution rather than contributing to a problem. They're good folks. They laugh at some of my jokes. Sometimes they laugh at me even when I'm not joking. I don't hold it against them. Mostly.

I don't promise I won't be rusty. I probably will be. I might drive like I'm wearing oven mitts for a while. I probably will ask some of you kids with your new-fangled skill trees how to be OG. I used to be decent back in the day, or so I'm told. I know tactics. I also know tic-tacs. If I can't kill lots of stompy robot bad guys in the short term, at least I can share anecdotes about things like splat cats, pop-tarting, and how video killed the radio star back in my day. I can also draw some cool pictures to illustrate.

Whatever the case, if you're looking for a few pilots and have a robust, healthy, active group that likes to have fun, but also likes to win, shoot me a PM.

Edited by Gallowglas, 27 December 2017 - 09:25 AM.

#2 Mahikan

• PipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 76 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:49 PM

View PostGallowglas, on 27 December 2017 - 12:15 AM, said:

Hey gang,

After about a year of hiatus, I'm getting the itch to start playing MWO again. Either that, or I've got poison ivy. Possibly an allergic reaction. But most likely it's an urge to play.

Anyway, one of the main reasons I stopped playing is because my unit (DWAR) largely stopped playing. There are still a few who drop occasionally, but what I'm really looking for is a larger unit that has a decent number of folks online any given night and which supports players who are interested in a variety of play styles: from casual to competitive.

More specifically, I'm looking for a group of players who aren't a bunch of screaming 12-year-olds with voices that haven't changed yet, but who sport pilot names like xxXXDEATHMENACE2000XXxx. I'd really prefer to not have to yell at more kids to get off my lawn. Bonus points if they occasionally get my references to movies like the Princess Bride.

I'd like to bring a few of my guys along with me too. There aren't a lot of us still playing, but rather than just say "LATER SUCKAS!", I'd like to be a part of a solution rather than contributing to a problem. They're good folks. They laugh at some of my jokes. Sometimes they laugh at me even when I'm not joking. I don't hold it against them. Mostly.

I don't promise I won't be rusty. I probably will be. I might drive like I'm wearing oven mitts for a while. I probably will ask some of you kids with your new-fangled skill trees how to be OG. I used to be decent back in the day, or so I'm told. I know tactics. I also know tic-tacs. If I can't kill lots of stompy robot bad guys in the short term, at least I can share anecdotes about things like splat cats, pop-tarting, and how video killed the radio star back in my day. I can also draw some cool pictures to illustrate.

Whatever the case, if you're looking for a few pilots and have a robust, healthy, active group that likes to have fun, but also likes to win, shoot me a PM.

I'd recommend heading over the to hiring hall and posting there.

Few questions for you, so that people who see this post might be more wiling to message you in game.

1) Do you consider yourself casual? (lrms, bracket builds, lore, play to play rather then win) Semi casual (Not comp level, but you wanna win, run meta builds, and will take advice from your betters.) Or Comp (competitive only the best mechs, best load outs and wanna play with the best players.)

2) can you give us an example of a favorite mech and build? Be specific, Smurfy links are always a plus (but put real armor values on so people can see how you would build a mech in game.)

3) do you use team speak, discord, or in game voip?

4) are you looking for faction play or group play?

5) Do you have a good set of clan and IS mechs? or do you lean more towards one side?

Some more recommendations. Both the Comstar team speak (na1.mech-connect.net PW: Wordofblake), the FRR/Kurita hub(frrhub.isengrim.org PW:Dragon), and strana mechty STRANAMECHTY.INFO PW StranaMechty) are good places to start droping with players. If your looking to join a "good" unit most are willing to let random's drop with them, and 99% will want you to drop with them before you get a invite.

Beware the insta inviting units, as they may not be the best homes.

Edited by Mahikan, 27 December 2017 - 04:54 PM.

#3 Gallowglas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 07:01 PM

Forums are being weird with posts suddenly. Trying this again...

Mahikan said:

1) Do you consider yourself casual? (lrms, bracket builds, lore, play to play rather then win) Semi casual (Not comp level, but you wanna win, run meta builds, and will take advice from your betters.) Or Comp (competitive only the best mechs, best load outs and wanna play with the best players.)

I've played competitively and I've played casual. I played in a number of RHoD, CNCI, and MRBC tournaments and was in the first PGI invitational tournament with DWAR. Even when I play casually, I play to win. I don't believe in playing a game and not giving it my all. I've called the shots in competitive matches and I've taken orders from others in those sorts of games. I'm comfortable with either. I'm always open to feedback and constructive criticism, though quite honestly, I'm probably my own worst critic.

If I'm not winning, I'm always trying to figure out what went wrong and tweaking. I won't claim I'm amazing or anything, but I do alright.

The only thing I don't tolerate very well is when people get so uptight they start screaming at each other. I don't play a game to listen to people yelling at each other. Calm deconstruction and course correction, sure.

Mahikan said:

2) can you give us an example of a favorite mech and build? Be specific, Smurfy links are always a plus (but put real armor values on so people can see how you would build a mech in game.)

Hard to say if it's as competitive now, but this was my go-to IS mech loadout:

MISERY

That's the mech I got a legitimate Ace of Spades achievement on and more than a few 1000+ damage matches. The reason I like it is that it gives me a solid range game where I can spend a lot of the early match poking. When the fight gets in close, the alpha potential with the AC/20 in the mix is brutal. It can run hot, but I'm usually okay with managing my heat with it.

Close runners up were my UAC/ML Timber Wolf and medium pulse boat Thunderbolt. I'm sure the latter isn't nearly as brutal as it once was, but it was super effective for me back in the day. I also enjoyed my Ebon Jaguar. It's pretty nimble for the weight class and packs a decent punch.

Some screenshots and videos of some random matches:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

If you want to watch what my demeanor is like in a match, here's an example. Forgive Omega's audio overlays. I'm not particularly proud of overheating to try to get the legs off that last Spider, but hit registration was funky.

I was sick on this one, so I was a little passive, but you get the idea...

Mahikan said:

3) do you use team speak, discord, or in game voip?

I'm adaptive. I've used TS and Discord primarily in the past because the in-game VOIP was not very reliable and wasn't great sound quality. In open drops you also tend to get people who do a lot of mouth breathing and screaming into their headsets.

Mahikan said:

4) are you looking for faction play or group play?

Any of the above

Mahikan said:

5) Do you have a good set of clan and IS mechs? or do you lean more towards one side?

I have 15 clan mechs and 54 IS mechs, so definitely slanted in favor of the latter, but I have a good assortment of medium, heavy, and assault clan mechs in the stable.

Mahikan said:

Some more recommendations. Both the Comstar team speak (na1.mech-connect.net PW: Wordofblake), the FRR/Kurita hub(frrhub.isengrim.org PW:Dragon), and strana mechty STRANAMECHTY.INFO PW StranaMechty) are good places to start droping with players. If your looking to join a "good" unit most are willing to let random's drop with them, and 99% will want you to drop with them before you get a invite.

Yeah, I was planning to jump in Comstar, so good call on that.

Mahikan said:

Beware the insta inviting units, as they may not be the best homes.

Yeah, I would neither want nor expect that. I want to join in with a unit that's a personality and play style fit. I also don't want to make the mistake of joining a unit that struggles to get players online.

Edited by Gallowglas, 28 December 2017 - 11:44 AM.

#4 Mahikan

• PipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 76 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 11:38 PM

You can hop into the mercstar channels with your friend, we have 2 more day's of our clan contract. On the comstar team speak press 6, or look about 3/4's down. We will doing a Loyalist Innersphere tour (we just did 4 weeks of Clan) to get mech bays (we are normally merc, but we've maxed out most of the merc rewards and are faction hoping). You welcome to join on drops, as we normally have 2-3 groups running.

Though we play predominantly faction play, and we will expect you to try your best to follow calls, and not bring lrms.

It seems like you've missed alot, But just to clarify that misery build. That's not actual armor values is it? 20 rear armor? or is that just default?

I'd recommend youtubing videos of the Skill tree, and the civil war tech

If you played before the tier system, quick play matches are not normally a good representation of skill, mostly because if you're a lower tier, you most likely are fighting lower tier. (the matches linked are not impressive, and not a representation of skill, You can be tier 5 and get 1000 dmg, because of the caliber players).

We do allow people of skill level's to drop with us as long as your trying and listening to calls. But you may be asked to sit out for other mercstar members, or if we need to tweak and fix your builds (though we normally will have an officer go through your builds and Link you our wiki with recommend mech choices and loadouts)

Keep in mind, we can be crass and vulgar at times, and depending on the group may be more strict then a lot of casual units.

#5 Gallowglas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 12:14 AM

Mahikan said:

Though we play predominantly faction play, and we will expect you to try your best to follow calls, and not bring lrms.

I was always a laser and AC guy. I've never been fond of the mechanics of LRMs. It never felt like there was much skill or interaction to it and that never appealed to me, so no problem there.

Mahikan said:

It seems like you've missed alot, But just to clarify that misery build. That's not actual armor values is it? 20 rear armor? or is that just default?

I don't think I adjusted the front/rear armor placement, so it's probably not 100% accurate on that count. Looks like I have 30 rear currently now that I check my mech bay. I don't run with a lot more armor in the back, but more than 20 typically, yes. The truth is, if I let someone get behind me and get a kill, it meant I was sloppy. Certainly it has happened, but it wasn't the norm.

Mahikan said:

I'd recommend youtubing videos of the Skill tree, and the civil war tech

I've started doing so, yes.

Mahikan said:

If you played before the tier system, quick play matches are not normally a good representation of skill, mostly because if you're a lower tier, you most likely are fighting lower tier. (the matches linked are not impressive, and not a representation of skill, You can be tier 5 and get 1000 dmg, because of the caliber players).

Those weren't meant to show that I was or am amazing or anything. Sorry if it came across that way. My intent was to show competence with the chassis I mentioned above, not pretend like I'm the best around. I got the sense from your questions that you were looking for some idea that I had an inner drive to succeed, an understanding of mechanics, and the ability to be a team player. That's all I was trying to impart with the images and videos.

I realize everything you said is true concerning competition. I have played in the tier system, so I do understand the difference. I'm currently surfing between tier 2 and 3. As I mentioned, I've played competitive tournament play too, so I get that the level of competition is important.

If you want to see some competitive/faction play results: here are a few I found. Obviously more modest outcomes in this bunch. I'll see if I can hunt down the MRBC and RHoD ones.

https://imgur.com/a/LPFGz

FWIW, I don't have a huge ego. I'm comfortable with following the game plan laid down by whoever is calling drops. I'm also open to constructive criticism so long as it is indeed constructive. I definitely know I'm not anywhere near the best there is and I'm eager to learn from those who are better than I am. I also know I'm going to be rusty given how long I've sidelined myself.

Edited by Gallowglas, 28 December 2017 - 12:09 PM.

#6 Gallowglas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 12:49 AM

BTW, we did some drops with MS back a year or so ago. Unless the tone has changed substantially, I don't have any particular concerns about things being strict. Nothing I heard in any of the drops were substantially different from what I'd expect in competitive matches. Crass doesn't particularly bother me either.

Edited by Gallowglas, 28 December 2017 - 12:50 AM.

#7 Mahikan

• PipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 03:02 PM

View PostGallowglas, on 28 December 2017 - 12:49 AM, said:

BTW, we did some drops with MS back a year or so ago. Unless the tone has changed substantially, I don't have any particular concerns about things being strict. Nothing I heard in any of the drops were substantially different from what I'd expect in competitive matches. Crass doesn't particularly bother me either.

Your welcome to stop on by! One thing, your back armor is way to high. It looks like you played back in the days where 30-40 alpha was high. Currently there are mech builds that have alpha's in the 70-80 range and having up to 20 rear armor or more is a huge huge mistake.

Most of the best players in this game run around 2-3 (you take 99% of incoming dmg in the front) and that plus base structure is usually enough to survive if something gets behind you. Granted if your just getting back into the swing if things I'd run maybe 8-10 and lower it as the rust fades. It's like you said if something kills you from behind you screwed up. And very few mechs can one shot a mech instantly without some warning that your being shot from behind.

When I get on later or if you join the ts there's a wiki link that any member can post for you to have an idea of some builds, as well I believe there's a channel with it in the description(in the Mercstar area)

Also if you want an idea of how we play we have a YouTube channel where I and Xavier( unit leader) post unit vs unit matches.

I'm at work so I can't link it but it's in the Mercstar recruiting post here in the same forum.

#8 Mahikan

• PipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 03:06 PM

https://youtu.be/vPIEMxgsUwk

#9 Gallowglas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 03:41 PM

View PostMahikan, on 28 December 2017 - 03:02 PM, said:

Your welcome to stop on by! One thing, your back armor is way to high. It looks like you played back in the days where 30-40 alpha was high. Currently there are mech builds that have alpha's in the 70-80 range and having up to 20 rear armor or more is a huge huge mistake.

Most of the best players in this game run around 2-3 (you take 99% of incoming dmg in the front) and that plus base structure is usually enough to survive if something gets behind you. Granted if your just getting back into the swing if things I'd run maybe 8-10 and lower it as the rust fades. It's like you said if something kills you from behind you screwed up. And very few mechs can one shot a mech instantly without some warning that your being shot from behind.

Good to know...thanks!

#10 Xavier

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 473 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 04:39 PM

Mahikan has basically said everything that I would have said. Bring your friends around and come drop with us. Friend me in game if you have any questions.

#11 Temporary Axis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 117 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:47 PM

Welcome back.

Could you state your active time zone? No point in some of us sending out an invite if we are asleep when it's your active play time.

#12 Gallowglas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:57 PM

View PostTemporary Axis, on 28 December 2017 - 06:47 PM, said:

Welcome back.

Could you state your active time zone? No point in some of us sending out an invite if we are asleep when it's your active play time.

Central/US. I’m usually available from 8p-12a or so on week nights. Weekends are pretty open.

Edited by Gallowglas, 28 December 2017 - 06:59 PM.

#13 Chilly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 146 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:15 AM

Hey Gallowglas,

Just sent you a PM. Check it out, and get back to me if there is interest.

Thanks,

Chilly

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users