4 replies to this topic

#1 Colonel Clunge

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 104 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted 24 October 2017 - 02:22 AM

Given the lack of posts about the Nightstar either everyone is so disgusted with it they can't bring themselves to even rant about it or no-one bought it.

I bought it and have been really disappointed with the standard pack. Crit space seems ridiculously light and although the weapons are pretty high mounted, the arms are so widely spaced it really creates convergence issues and you can forget about corner poking. It's short on weapon slots so boating is really hard which would be fine if you could fit the 20s in the thing to make up for the lack of weapon slots but you can't.

Also, the thing it just so bloody wide and fat - even if you hill hump your side torsos seem to get popped very easily.

Max damage i've managed is around 400-500 which is very low compared to the Mad IICs that I run.

Have had some success with the 9S running a LFE 320 2 HPPCs an Ultra 10 and a couple of ERMLs but having real problems doing anything spectacular with any of the 3 variants. Tried dual gauss and ERPPC on the 9FC and twin LBX10s/twin SNPPCs on the 9J but none have really set the heather on fire.

I should caveat that none of them are mastered - do they massively improve once mastered?

Anyways, was hoping someone could share some successful builds.

CC

#2 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 24 October 2017 - 03:04 AM

Well actually the mech is not terrible compared to the other IS Assaults...but not great either.
With its cockpit level weaponry and ability to hide the largest parts of the mech behind objects it has some poking potential..on the other hand its payload is somewhat underwhelming, heavily hindered through IS weaponsizes and the available tonnage for weapons, if you still want to go at speeds that enable you to stay with the pack.

Further there are some quite ridiculous design decissions observeable, that almost seem to deliberately gimp every advantage that the mech could have by making its shape and combat silhuette too squat to shoot over minor obstacles (like the low buildings on grim plexus f.e.) but still with too high outcropping extensions to hide effectively behind verical environmental features. In addition beeing too cumbersome to ascend or decent quickly enough to compensate for its high torso and beeing too broad to use lateral cover.
Just duke it out is also no option since you have to large frontal profile to effectively distribute clan laservomit and noth enough durability quirks to make much of a difference.

So every strength of this mech is countered by some unnessecary stupid, crippling features.
Also the Nightstar is the most modern equiped mech of its time. Sure its design dates back to the fall of the starleague but actually no mech survived into the successsion wars and all Nightstars today are completely New mechs.
Now look at its textures and skinns and its cockpit.
That does not look like clean fresh new and modern equipment.

And last but not least the walking animation of it looks like this:
Posted Image

Well Animation and Artwork was once the prime positive signitures of PGI but the last NEW chassis they brought (MadCat Mk II animation and hillarious smal side torso and smal arms, Annihilator bumjiggle, NovaCat skating and leggs clipping, Nightstar with over pronounced sides and ridiculously large arms....) where quite awkward to look at.
Come to think... lorewise the appearance of MadCat 2 and Nightstar should be vice versa.
The MK2 always was the broad squat Mech with awkwardly high and pronounced side torsoes and the Nighty should be lean and narrow.
Odd thing huh ?

Builds:

NSR-9J
NSR-9FC
NSR-9S (suboptimal...)
NSR-9S

Edited by The Basilisk, 24 October 2017 - 03:47 AM.

#3 John Stryker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:53 AM

Iirc the nsr was pretty fragile in pnp, although it packed quite a wallop. They were best used at range, rollpadding from partial cover.

#4 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 24 October 2017 - 03:43 PM

Also the NightStar is not a Heavy Mech it's an Assault Posted Image

#5 Colonel Clunge

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 104 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted 25 October 2017 - 04:39 AM

Thanks Basilisk - will definitely try the RAC5s.

Was looking at the images of the Nightstar online and I just don't understand why they made it so damn fat - it's nothing like the other images. The massive shoulders are totally unnecessary.

Also - why did the arms have to stick out so far?

Really frustrated about this. Bought the Uziel which is an absolute dog, the NS seems to be heading the same way and from my limited forays with the Osiris I don't think I have a winner on my hands with that one either.

It's feeling a lot like 45 bucks down the can.......

Here's hoping the Thanatos might redeem the situation but not hopeful.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users