So About That Scouting Tonnage For Clans...

42 replies to this topic

#1 CK16

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 02 November 2017 - 08:35 AM

With the Blacklanner now officially a thing, and a designated scout mech by lore....

Clan scout tonnage needs to be brought up to 55 tons to allow use of it, the Stormcrows rein has long been over, even before it was banned from scouting the Huntsman,Nova, and Hunchback IIC were preferred over the Scrow.

Seriously, I bought the standard Blacklanner pack and I will not upgrade it to the others unless I can use the chassis in scouting. Infact because of the little value I see in the mech besides scouting I might for the first time refund the pack before release. (I have no nostalgia or love for the mech, only see its value as a scout)

Edited by CK16, 02 November 2017 - 08:37 AM.

#2 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 09:35 AM

Last night it was the discussion in Scouting on TS... To buy or not to buy.....for scouting. Consensus is that PGI will not alter the weight specifications for clan mechs and most all, except a very few that wanted the mech for nostalgia reasons, are passing on the BL... They already own all of the mechs you named: why spend $$ on another....

#3 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,774 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 02 November 2017 - 09:43 AM

Don’t know what to make of the BL yet, I have enough mechs for now. As for scouting tonnage, sure, why not try upping the Clan tonnage limit.

CFC Conky

#4 Jun Watarase

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 09:55 AM

I hope they dont incease tonnage to 55 precisely becase people bringing black lanners will hurt the team. We dont need another underpowered mech in scouting. People bringing Novas and firing two alphas before getting stomped by griffins/bushwackers are bad enough.

Sadly, you just know that people will think its a great idea to bring black lanners into invasion drop decks. I can just picture it now...black lanners in the 3rd or 4th drop trying to kill IS assaults with ~13 tons of pod space.

Vipers are bad enough as it is.

#5 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,828 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 02 November 2017 - 09:57 AM

I'm down with the Clan scouting tonnage being bumped up atleast then the Stormcrow and the Arctic Wolf can be used to chased down Assassin, but I'm hoping they use the Blk Lanner to open up for a third 55 tonner.

Espically some to somewhat match the armor quirks like the Bushwacker, I really tired look at those ********.

#6 Xavori

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 792 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 09:59 AM

I've decided to rename my masterpiece screenshot "Of Course Scouting Is Balanced" to "Portrait Defending Bushwackers Versus Legless Huntsman"

https://steamuserima...6FDBDC1ABB4706/

#7 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,828 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:03 AM

View PostJun Watarase, on 02 November 2017 - 09:55 AM, said:

I hope they dont incease tonnage to 55 precisely becase people bringing black lanners will hurt the team. We dont need another underpowered mech in scouting. People bringing Novas and firing two alphas before getting stomped by griffins/bushwackers are bad enough.

Sadly, you just know that people will think its a great idea to bring black lanners into invasion drop decks. I can just picture it now...black lanners in the 3rd or 4th drop trying to kill IS assaults with ~13 tons of pod space.

Every mech is able to an kill Assault no matter what in this game, and it's not like we don't have a tanky medium just saying to compete with the pseudo heavy that is the quirked Bushwacker.

Also are you sure you seeing stock Nova's or Nova's with 12 er smalls/heavy smalls, or you being hyperbolic.

Plus you denying a chance for another 55 tonner to come up, and force the clans to wait who knows just to get a 55 tonner to use.

#8 Xavori

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 792 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:17 AM

You have inspired me to find a way to slip a 55 ton mech into my invasion decks. In fact, I'm going to get the Black Lanner (if PGI raises scout tons to 55) equip it as a pure LRM boat, and name it "Salty Teammates".

#9 Marquis De Lafayette

• CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:22 AM

People said the same things about Linebackers (over-engined, lack of weapon tonnage) when they came out. Now, you have some people crying for nerfs...because of how they are used in FW. So, it's hard to know upfront if a mech like this will find a niche it can excel at. I suspect it will find such a niche and will work out ok for certain roles.

#10 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:28 AM

View PostCK16, on 02 November 2017 - 08:35 AM, said:

[...]

Clan scout tonnage needs to be brought up to 55 tons to allow use of it, the Stormcrows rein has long been over, even before it was banned from scouting the Huntsman,Nova, and Hunchback IIC were preferred over the Scrow.

Seriously, I bought the standard Blacklanner pack and I will not upgrade it to the others unless I can use the chassis in scouting. Infact because of the little value I see in the mech besides scouting I might for the first time refund the pack before release. (I have no nostalgia or love for the mech, only see its value as a scout)

The first paragraph is a sound argument to rethink a past balancing decision.
The second paragraph is a blackmailing attempt to change the game to your liking just to favor a purchasing decision.

I'd stick with the first one.

PS:
Noticed it? Blackmailing for the Black Lanner... yes? No? Anyone?

#11 Jun Watarase

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:30 AM

View PostMarquis De Lafayette, on 02 November 2017 - 10:22 AM, said:

People said the same things about Linebackers (over-engined, lack of weapon tonnage) when they came out. Now, you have some people crying for nerfs...because of how they are used in FW. So, it's hard to know upfront if a mech like this will find a niche it can excel at. I suspect it will find such a niche and will work out ok for certain roles.

Linebackers basically only shine in situations where tonnage isnt an issue and you can brawl. Thats like...conquest. Or maybe if you want to gen rush i guess.

#12 CK16

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:35 AM

View PostPaigan, on 02 November 2017 - 10:28 AM, said:

The first paragraph is a sound argument to rethink a past balancing decision.
The second paragraph is a blackmailing attempt to change the game to your liking just to favor a purchasing decision.

I'd stick with the first one.

PS:
Noticed it? Blackmailing for the Black Lanner... yes? No? Anyone?

Nah, at this point it's a tool I see trying to be sold to me to build something or find use for. Say I am buying a cart at the local hardware store and I notice the tools required and pick them up, the salesman there then tries to sell me a 1/2" wrench but the wagon uses 3/8 bolts/nuts. Why would I need the 1/2" unless I just want it around. Point is, currently my mech bays have plenty of options, the Blacklanner though different isn't so useful, specially if I can not use it in scouting where I see it most fitting for what I would use it for ect.

#13 kapusta11

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:35 AM

Whatever, IS is getting rekt by Huntsmans anyways.

#14 CK16

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:37 AM

View Postkapusta11, on 02 November 2017 - 10:35 AM, said:

Fake news! Where is your proof? Last I heard Splatwackers,Griffins, and Assassins are eating all the Clam legs...

#15 Marquis De Lafayette

• 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:41 AM

View PostJun Watarase, on 02 November 2017 - 10:30 AM, said:

Linebackers basically only shine in situations where tonnage isnt an issue and you can brawl. Thats like...conquest. Or maybe if you want to gen rush i guess.

While you are correct that Linebackers shine in brawl situations, I suspect a few IS FW pilots would disagree that they are only a real threat in conquest or gen rushing.

It's easy to pre-judge mechs based on a certain metric. However, some mechs have carved out roles which we didn't always foresee when they were announced. So, while it vogue to "call a mech" (as OP, trash, just ok) on announcement day...we the players don't always get our "call" right....as other players get creative with stuff and carve out a new role sometimes.

#16 Xavori

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 792 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:48 AM

View Postkapusta11, on 02 November 2017 - 10:35 AM, said:

The currently 90% yellow scouting bar is telling a very different story. And since the only time I've seen any significant amount of blue the last few weeks was at the start of new rounds, I'm thinking the Huntsman with it's easy to remove legs isn't really that big of a deal.

As a side note: the Black Lanner doesn't actually solve the whole legging Bushwacker problem, nor would the Stormcrow since both of them have great big easy to hit legs.

What we really needed was the Snow Fox. Try and shoot the legs out of a mech travelling at a MASC-boosted speed of 172kph. And even if you do shoot out one...I still have 3 more cuz quadraped!

(yes, I'm being silly)

#17 Jun Watarase

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:50 AM

View PostMarquis De Lafayette, on 02 November 2017 - 10:41 AM, said:

While you are correct that Linebackers shine in brawl situations, I suspect a few IS FW pilots would disagree that they are only a real threat in conquest or gen rushing.

It's easy to pre-judge mechs based on a certain metric. However, some mechs have carved out roles which we didn't always foresee when they were announced. So, while it vogue to "call a mech" (as OP, trash, just ok) on announcement day...we the players don't always get our "call" right....as other players get creative with stuff and carve out a new role sometimes.

I honestly cannot see how any decent IS mech could possibly lose to a linebacker 1v1 out of one very niche situation (boating SRMs, run into your face and firing them at 25m where most of the SRMs hit one location). But thats like saying bushwackers are OP because a bushwacker can hide behind a corner and dump 30-36 SRMs into a clan assault's face and cripple if not kill it.

ive brawled with linebackers plenty of times in QP recently due to the insane 100 QP matches event. Every single time has seen the linebacker get trashed, because they simply cannot do enough damage to me before I take out a side torso in 3 alphas and cripple them. That speed is nice on paper, but even my cataphract can easily keep up when they try to out turn me, and that doesnt have any agility quirks the way some top IS mechs do. The linebacker has just enough space for 4-5x SRM-6s with artemis, ammo and maybe some heatsinks, and with the spread at 100m and beyond, its like sandblasting someone with MRMs.

I actually have a summoner with 5x SRM-6s with artemis and unless i fire them pointblank (which usually means getting shot at by tons of enemy mechs), the damage is not impressive at all and its not tanky enough to survive being focused fired. I have far better results in my cataphract, which can easily take out side torsos like nothing, at longer ranges with more safety.

When I see clan players doing very well, it is almost always in a clan laser vomit boat. I never see them running in with a line backer and wrecking multiple decent players and racking up massive scores. Hell, I have yet to see any clan unit run 3x linebackers and dominate the way they do with 3x EBJ/HBRs all running laser vomit.

If linebackers really were that OP i should be seeing mass linebacker spam. Outside of incursion base rushing or conquest wolf packs, I dont see any large scale usage of linebackers at all.

I guess its possible that some unit was running 12 man linebacker rushes the way MS runs 12 man crab rushes and that was raising the linebacker profile considerably.

Edited by Jun Watarase, 02 November 2017 - 11:02 AM.

#18 McGoat

Banned -Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 629 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:53 AM

You need to do some drops with KCOM, then.

#19 Shadowomega1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 987 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 11:00 AM

View PostBattlemaster56, on 02 November 2017 - 10:03 AM, said:

Every mech is able to an kill Assault no matter what in this game, and it's not like we don't have a tanky medium just saying to compete with the pseudo heavy that is the quirked Bushwacker.

Also are you sure you seeing stock Nova's or Nova's with 12 er smalls/heavy smalls, or you being hyperbolic.

Plus you denying a chance for another 55 tonner to come up, and force the clans to wait who knows just to get a 55 tonner to use.

Actually the Bushwacker built for Scouting will have the armor of an 85/90 ton mech with the internals of a 75/80 ton mech.

#20 Jun Watarase

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 11:00 AM

View PostMcGoat, on 02 November 2017 - 10:53 AM, said:

You need to do some drops with KCOM, then.

12 man of anything all running synced loadouts and focus firing will melt pretty much anything, especially if facing pug teams.

The fact that laser vomit is far more prevalent means that its far more effective, especially if you are not dropping in a group with synced loadouts.

Edited by Jun Watarase, 02 November 2017 - 11:04 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users