Invisible Wall - Is This Normal?

13 replies to this topic

#1 eminus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 604 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:36 AM

by that I mean an accepted fact and there is no plan to change nor update it? I was firing at an enemy and the laser beam is clearly pointed away from the wall but it was still blocked

Posted Image

#2 knight-of-ni

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:38 AM

Yes. Working as intended, apparently.

There are places even worse, such as the pillars on manifold.

#3 Athom83

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:41 AM

Because you just peaked, convergence was still set to a very short distance. The angle of your shot made it collide with the collision mesh of the terrain. That mesh has to be slightly farther out from the actual visual of the terrain to help with clipping issues.

#4 Alcom Isst

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Professional
  • The Professional
  • 935 posts
  • LocationElo Heaven

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:45 AM

View Postknnniggett, on 01 November 2017 - 05:38 AM, said:

Yes. Working as intended, apparently.

There are places even worse, such as the pillars on manifold.

Manifold's hitboxes were kinda fixed, they're not single rectangles like they used to be.

View PostAthom83, on 01 November 2017 - 05:41 AM, said:

Because you just peaked, convergence was still set to a very short distance. The angle of your shot made it collide with the collision mesh of the terrain. That mesh has to be slightly farther out from the actual visual of the terrain to help with clipping issues.

It's not colliding with terrain, it's colliding with a building, a rectangle, which should have a rectangular hitbox that's perfectly flush to the building's side but it apparently isn't.

#5 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:53 AM

umm no, its due to bad coding. The visual texture isnt actually the edge of the object.

Edited by mogs01gt, 01 November 2017 - 05:53 AM.

#6 Telemachus -Salt Wife Salt Life-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 364 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:56 AM

Vitric Forge and Hellbore are also terrible for this. PGI trying to make MWO a competitive game without fixing invisible walls is laughable.

#7 Athom83

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 01 November 2017 - 06:02 AM

View PostAlcom Isst, on 01 November 2017 - 05:45 AM, said:

It's not colliding with terrain, it's colliding with a building, a rectangle, which should have a rectangular hitbox that's perfectly flush to the building's side but it apparently isn't.

A building is terrain in a video game... how is this confusing?

View Postmogs01gt, on 01 November 2017 - 05:53 AM, said:

umm no, its due to bad coding. The visual texture isnt actually the edge of the object.

Yes, and I said as much. Did you two simply read the first sentence and ignore the last? Want to see examples of why they do this? Play War Thunder tanks, then drive into a wall. Despite both objects having their collision meshes exactly where the visuals are, there is clipping. PGI took the simplest route to solve this, and expanded the collision mesh of the terrain slightly out from the actual visuals. This also helps a lot with performance on more detailed objects with unique shapes (pillars on HPG, rock pillars on Grim, etc). Yes, a rectangle should be simpler and could have its meshes more inline with eachother. However, players really shouldn't be getting the mindset of pixel hunting CSGO style to the point of being that concerned of a tiny offset of a visual mesh and a collision mesh.

#8 eminus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 604 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 06:21 AM

if we say convergence then it should follow where the reticle is poitned at and the space between the cockpit and the arms from a Shadow Cat is wide so it should have given it enough space.

I can understand if the laser on my torso got blocked but the one on my arm was also blocked

Edited by eminus, 01 November 2017 - 06:22 AM.

#9 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 01 November 2017 - 06:32 AM

View PostAthom83, on 01 November 2017 - 06:02 AM, said:

Yes, and I said as much. Did you two simply read the first sentence and ignore the last? Want to see examples of why they do this? Play War Thunder tanks, then drive into a wall. Despite both objects having their collision meshes exactly where the visuals are, there is clipping. PGI took the simplest route to solve this, and expanded the collision mesh of the terrain slightly out from the actual visuals. This also helps a lot with performance on more detailed objects with unique shapes (pillars on HPG, rock pillars on Grim, etc). Yes, a rectangle should be simpler and could have its meshes more inline with eachother. However, players really shouldn't be getting the mindset of pixel hunting CSGO style to the point of being that concerned of a tiny offset of a visual mesh and a collision mesh.

LMAO thanks for the pointless explanation..My one sentenced explained the entire issue...

Edited by mogs01gt, 01 November 2017 - 06:33 AM.

#10 RussianWolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 01 November 2017 - 06:34 AM

PGI coding. What we've come to expect is a pretty low bar.

#11 Alcom Isst

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Professional
  • The Professional
  • 935 posts
  • LocationElo Heaven

Posted 01 November 2017 - 06:41 AM

Terminology. The terrain is just the ground, a plane that is distorted by a heightmap and has its own terrain collider. Buildings and every other object are separate entities with their own hitboxes.

View PostRussianWolf, on 01 November 2017 - 06:34 AM, said:

PGI coding. What we've come to expect is a pretty low bar.

View Postmogs01gt, on 01 November 2017 - 05:53 AM, said:

It's not even coding, it's just nudging and sizing a box in an editor to fit around the object it represents.

Edited by Alcom Isst, 01 November 2017 - 06:43 AM.

#12 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 01 November 2017 - 06:56 AM

However, players really shouldn't be getting the mindset of pixel hunting CSGO style to the point of being that concerned of a tiny offset of a visual mesh and a collision mesh.

Why not? It's 2017 and 2018 is just around the corner. We're no longer using 68000 or 80X86-class CPUs.

Edited by Mystere, 01 November 2017 - 06:56 AM.

#13 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 07:17 AM

Everyone who talks about "bug" or "bad coding" or "invisible walls" should google "bounding box".
Do it. Do it now. Read it. Educate yourself instead of babbling on in ignorance.

It's a technical thing. A performance optimization because using the actual geometry for geometrical calculations (like hit detection) would take way too much processing power.

One might argue here thet the bounding box is not optimal for the already box-shaped building (I sometimes wonder that myself), but the devil is in the details and maybe there's a small but crucial reason why the bounding box is slightly larger than we think it should/could be.

Edited by Paigan, 01 November 2017 - 07:43 AM.

#14 Kodyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 01 November 2017 - 07:29 AM

There's always been a rather large variety of places you'll encounter this in MWO. You pretty much just need to be aware of it and try to remember where the most egregious cases are. They've fixed a few over the years, but there's still plenty. At this point I swear at myself whenever I hit one because I know better, yet sometimes pop off a shot right into them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users