Sales Page Live: The New Medium Is The Black Lanner

122 replies to this topic

#101 Jackal Noble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 02 November 2017 - 09:58 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 02 November 2017 - 09:38 AM, said:

You made it sound like the Assassin had more than 3 SRM6a worth of firepower. It doesn't.

And if you have a hard on for SRM4s, the Lanner can take 4 4's as well, and NOT have an IS XL and have MASC and sprint faster than an Assassin. So.. meh. The Assassin is probably a little bit better, but still, no slouch here. One of the variants that actually does well has *gasp* 3 SRM6a, it just does the short range corner poke/non-DPS role better than the 4 4's version.

Where was the optimism you had while discussing the Nightstar even though it was blatantly inferior to already available options??? Its interesting that it is gone now.

Nightstar is....a different bird. I still haven't gotten around to leveling it all the way(way too much going with unit events). That optimism was damaged when they released its first look and it turned out to be wayyy more bloated looking, and the walk, dear god the walk. Wobble wobble. I still think it can carry a few really unique builds but I get your point.
K now back to the Assassin/Blanner. First, Clan srms and IS srms are not equivalent so stop comparing them as such. IS non-Artemis missile systems are superior due to spread, damage and Cooldown, which they by all rights should be weighing double that of Clan. IS Artemis is also better and has an even tighter spread but the benefit of that kinda wanes off at that point due to the fact that they weigh a shite-ton at that point.
*Edit that's where the Clan Srm- boating syndrome comes into play. A 4SRM6A Griffin will wipe the floor with 6SRM6A Huntsman, or crow for that matter
Yea no, let me make it clearer. 3 SRM6a on the assassin is perfectly viable, it's just the 4srm4 ***-21 that you see more often, because it's way more effective at skirmishing and actually fighting vs that abhorrent corner poke crap that half the forum is in love with.

Edited by JackalBeast, 02 November 2017 - 10:10 AM.

#102 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:49 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 02 November 2017 - 09:38 AM, said:

Also, since we can just compare SRM weapon stats in a vacuum (apparently), your ACW-1 is clearly superior to the Assassin. So ggclose Clamz win again.

hahahahahahaha ok Gas.

#103 Dr Hobo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 530 posts
  • LocationA cardboard box drinkin mah hooch.

Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:55 AM

View PostFireStoat, on 02 November 2017 - 09:41 AM, said:

I wrote what I did only in the light of pure sales / profit from the strange situation of this mech. If it's not allowed for scouting, the mech will only be bought by people who enjoy the gameplay of the Viper and Linebacker mechs. That's not an especially huge following. If the door is opened up for its use in Scouting, some additional people will purchase it - but only AFTER its release and its merits are tested in game.

Look at the mech's legs. It's going to be yet another tippy-toed tall beast like the Madcat Mk II.

In order to match the Mad IIC's sales figures, more would have to happen, which is exactly why I mentioned breaking the engine / equipment rules finally so they would match old table top. Am I advocating that should happen? Nope. Or at least, not before a half dozen or more critical design flaws of the game are cured. At any rate, this game is nearing the end of its product life cycle so all of this is a moot point.

A lot of PGIs problems with balance would have been avoided if they actually made an attempt instead of halfassing it with bandaid fixes.

At this point,breaking the construction rules means you might as well go mixtech.

#104 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 12:16 PM

View PostStridercal, on 02 November 2017 - 09:55 AM, said:

Never going to break the TT rules like this.

Which is a shame, because some TT rules are less an worthless.

#105 Rakshasa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 560 posts
  • LocationThe Underhive, Pomme De Terre

Posted 02 November 2017 - 12:37 PM

Crunched some numbers, and if the Black Lanner was 5 tons lighter it would have everything it has now plus a couple more tons to play with, and slightly better armour. Same as the Linebacker - it would lose no performance and have more free tonnage if it was 5 tons lighter. Those old designs eh?

Worried this one will turn out to be another case of a Clan mech with too much engine. The yellow feet on the Hero are kinda cute though Posted Image

Edited by Rakshasa, 02 November 2017 - 05:42 PM.

#106 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 02 November 2017 - 12:45 PM

View PostRakshasa, on 02 November 2017 - 12:37 PM, said:

Crunched some numbers, and if the Black Lanner was 5 tons lighter it would have everything it has now plus a couple more tons to play with, and slightly better armour. Same as the Linebacker - it would lose no performance and have more free tonnage if it was 5 tons lighter.

Those old designs eh?

A 50-ton Blanner would go up from 11.5 tons of pod space to 15. Quite a big gap.

The 60-ton Linebacker would go from 16.5 (20.5 counting DHS) to 19 (23 counting DHS). Also pretty decent.

Edited by FupDup, 02 November 2017 - 12:45 PM.

#107 Clanner Scum

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 338 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 November 2017 - 04:56 PM

Yessss my Blanner! THANK YOU PGI!!!

Now I'll have the opportunity to wipe the floor with all the whiners in this thread with it.

#108 JadePanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 967 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 05:02 PM

View PostFantasticMrDark, on 01 November 2017 - 07:57 PM, said:

This thing looks like like its gonna disintegrate like a Shadowcat the moment anything with reasonable amount of firepower looks at it.

funny seeing as how often i find a team playing "wheres the last mech" against an enemy shd cat.

#109 Trenchbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 05:06 PM

View PostJadePanther, on 02 November 2017 - 05:02 PM, said:

funny seeing as how often i find a team playing "wheres the last mech" against an enemy shd cat.

That doesn't mean the Shadow Cat is good. It just means most people who use them are cowardly.

#110 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 05:08 PM

View PostCatten Hart, on 02 November 2017 - 05:06 PM, said:

That doesn't mean the Shadow Cat is good. It just means most people who use them are cowardly.

Other reasons:

-Fast mech can escape from ambushes more easily

-Lower priority for enemy team because of lowish damage

#111 Trenchbird

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 05:10 PM

View PostFupDup, on 02 November 2017 - 05:08 PM, said:

Other reasons:

-Fast mech can escape from ambushes more easily

-Lower priority for enemy team because of lowish damage

The former kind of plays into the cowardly thing, the latter I can't really argue with. Twin ERLL, even Clanspec, are typically more annoying in the hands of often-spastically-lightsaber-swinging Shadow Cats.

For the record, the only Shadow Cat pilots I really ever respect are 2X HLL+6X LMG and 4X SRM-6A ones. Takes cajones to run that aggressive of a build with those paper mache machines, and the former's actually not all that awful.

Edited by Catten Hart, 02 November 2017 - 05:10 PM.

#112 Maker L106

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 250 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 05:15 PM

Shadow Cat best cat. HLL and spite for life.

#113 Akillius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 484 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 05:47 PM

wish i took a screenie of trick or treat 3 page in section "Bonus Loot Bag Redeems" said
"If you own any level of the Piranha pre-order pack you will automatically.."

it showed that Twice after the page was updated late nov 1st...
Was very funny, but now the 2nd one says black lanner and honestly it's boring now. :(
looking forward to getting lanner packs but only if PGI stabilizes and stops ****ing around with basic ****.
Learn from previous games that got hung up on so called "re-balancing" everything...
Or even newer mmo team pvp sci fi games that did this like Dreadnought and Galactic Junk League. Those "Devs" ignored the majority of players, started listening the the handful of whiners and then their match making jumped to +15 minutes then the "devs" introduced bots to matches and now (IMO) they'll never recover from that. And they never look back at the majority's suggestions during their peak, but instead they forge on with their CEO's "vision"...

I hope MWO does not end up like that.
So yeah I'll wait and likely pickup the black lanner packs (looks fun) on the last days of early adopter rewards, but bear in mind that any new BS PGI announcements may change that.

#114 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,881 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 07:10 PM

Because that Shadow Cat has been hiding with its ECM the entire match poking at the enemy with a couple ER PPC or ER LL. However, considering they are the last mech on a defeated enemy team so often, it is pretty obvious how useful they were to helping their team achieve victory.

#115 Jacon Ceronia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 240 posts
  • LocationUTAH

Posted 02 November 2017 - 07:11 PM

Fixed.

Posted Image

#116 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,881 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 07:16 PM

View PostMax Rickson, on 02 November 2017 - 05:47 PM, said:

wish i took a screenie of trick or treat 3 page in section "Bonus Loot Bag Redeems" said
"If you own any level of the Piranha pre-order pack you will automatically.."

it showed that Twice after the page was updated late nov 1st...
Was very funny, but now the 2nd one says black lanner and honestly it's boring now. Posted Image
looking forward to getting lanner packs but only if PGI stabilizes and stops ****ing around with basic ****.
Learn from previous games that got hung up on so called "re-balancing" everything...
Or even newer mmo team pvp sci fi games that did this like Dreadnought and Galactic Junk League. Those "Devs" ignored the majority of players, started listening the the handful of whiners and then their match making jumped to +15 minutes then the "devs" introduced bots to matches and now (IMO) they'll never recover from that. And they never look back at the majority's suggestions during their peak, but instead they forge on with their CEO's "vision"...

I hope MWO does not end up like that.
So yeah I'll wait and likely pickup the black lanner packs (looks fun) on the last days of early adopter rewards, but bear in mind that any new BS PGI announcements may change that.

I actually tend to agree. The biggest issues I am having right now is the unstablity of any and all mechanics in the game. I have been playing since Closed Beta enjoying the game all that time and spending a ton of money and in all that time, flipping medium lasers didn't have a longer cooldown than large lasers. Why the frack do they have longer cooldowns now? Who the hell asked for them to have longer cooldowns? Did anyone even care? Did it improve the game? Hell friken no, I am actually having less fun now cause half my damn mechs perform more poorly and some even became relatively noncompetitive.

They need to knock off the "Rebalancing" crap already cause I am every so TIRED of my mechs being nerfed ever flipping time they have a fricken patch.

#117 Kanil

• 1,068 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 07:30 PM

View PostFupDup, on 02 November 2017 - 12:45 PM, said:

A 50-ton Blanner would go up from 11.5 tons of pod space to 15. Quite a big gap.

The 60-ton Linebacker would go from 16.5 (20.5 counting DHS) to 19 (23 counting DHS). Also pretty decent.

If you stripped the BLanner down to 50 ton armor, it'd have 12.5 tons of pod space -- you're only losing 2.5 tons to overengine, the other ton comes from extra armor. The former is useless, the latter not so much... although you do pay for that extra ton in hit boxes, for what it's worth.

#118 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 02 November 2017 - 08:06 PM

View PostClanner Scum, on 02 November 2017 - 04:56 PM, said:

Yessss my Blanner! THANK YOU PGI!!!

Now I'll have the opportunity to wipe the floor with all the whiners in this thread with it.

Hahaha not even a chance bud.

#119 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 08:40 PM

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 02 November 2017 - 12:16 PM, said:

Which is a shame, because some TT rules are less an worthless.

Some of the TT rules would actually would have made more sense than what we have now.

You know, like flamers that could either deal damage OR heat, but not both at once.

MGs that could be balanced by choice- heatfree lower ROF or heatup but higher ROF.

A functional heat scale beyond "nothing" or "melt".

Anyway, the Bad Lamer. Too much speed, too little podspace, and it can't scout because 55 ton Clanbots in FP are bad, eh?

It's the firepower and speed of a light on a chassis twice the size of one. I don't think it'll get where the Huntsman is, and even the Shadow Cat seems to have better options. That's a shame. I wish we'd gotten the Vapor Eagle, overengined mediums that can be fixed by engine changing work out better than a locked-engine Omni.

This is generally because the SHC never engaged at anything past ERLL tickledistance.

#120 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 02:58 AM

View PostBrain Cancer, on 02 November 2017 - 08:40 PM, said:

Some of the TT rules would actually would have made more sense than what we have now.

You know, like flamers that could either deal damage OR heat, but not both at once.

The current Flamers don't do enough damage to warrant complaining about. They're as strong as TT's Light Machine Guns, and weaker than everything else in MWO. For all gameplay purposes, they DO only cause heat.

And no, the idea that of "damage OR heat" does not make any sense. If something can heat up a mech's armor to the point that it melts off large chunks of it, such a process would naturally raise the heat level of the mech, because you know, melting stuff is hot. TT's explanation for why damage-mode Flamers don't cause heat is stupid.

Technically lasers and PPCs would also heat up the target because of how much armor is getting instantly melted off, but that would be OP as heck so it should be ignored.

View PostBrain Cancer, on 02 November 2017 - 08:40 PM, said:

MGs that could be balanced by choice- heatfree lower ROF or heatup but higher ROF.

I don't recall that TT rule? Must be in one of those special advanced rule books...

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users