- - - - -

Mad Dog Build

8 replies to this topic

#1 Feezou

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 07:22 AM

I made a Mad Dog A build for my friend. It comes with a few problems. The thing I'm mainly concerned about is that it runs too hot.

6x SRM 6
2x ER-PPC

I'm looking for a solution for managing the heat, and being able to deal good damage. I have a few solutions.
Switch to SRM 4s.
Swap ERs to PPCs or lasers, or most likely ballistics.
Use less SRMs.

I really need a solution, because this build can't fire 75% of the time when I'm attacking.

#2 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 03 November 2017 - 10:19 AM

View PostFeezou, on 03 November 2017 - 07:22 AM, said:

I made a Mad Dog A build for my friend. It comes with a few problems. The thing I'm mainly concerned about is that it runs too hot.

6x SRM 6
2x ER-PPC

I'm looking for a solution for managing the heat, and being able to deal good damage. I have a few solutions.
Switch to SRM 4s.
Swap ERs to PPCs or lasers, or most likely ballistics.
Use less SRMs.

I really need a solution, because this build can't fire 75% of the time when I'm attacking.

I assume you mean something like this
There was not enough tonage for full armor and adiquate ammo, and it will run realy hot if you alpha strike,

if you want something realisticly able to handle that sort of loadout look at 90-100 ton Mechs, sorry but the MDD just does not have the tonage to allow that sort of loadout with adiquate cooling, armor and ammo, it does not even have enough tonage and slots for 2 of the 3
on Smurfy I aim for a heat efficency of 40% or better, I can get away with 35%, but I would only consider as low as 18% on a fast (130kph+)striker, which is designed to hit hard then run fast, or am using completely seporate weapons groups, as in some guns for short range, other guns for long range

that build could maybe, if you are good enough, work as a dual role build, however if you plan on alpha striking you are going to suffer, set it to fire 3 srms each on 2 fire groups, and the PPCs on a third (or groups 3 and 4).
when the enemy is at mid to long range fire the PPCs only
when at short range fire 3 SRMs wait at least half a second, fire other 3 SRMs, if you fire all 6 together you will incure a heat penalty.
even using like that you will overheat inside 15 seconds

if you want 6 SRM6 then drop the PPCs and add in more ammo and heatsinks, something like this.

if you want PPCs and SRMs then prehaps something more like this

4 SRM6s + 2 ERPPC is a respectable loadout for the Timber Wolf which is 15 tons heavier.

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 03 November 2017 - 10:22 AM.

#3 Feezou

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 11:21 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 03 November 2017 - 10:19 AM, said:

I assume you mean something like this
There was not enough tonage for full armor and adiquate ammo, and it will run realy hot if you alpha strike,

if you want something realisticly able to handle that sort of loadout look at 90-100 ton Mechs, sorry but the MDD just does not have the tonage to allow that sort of loadout with adiquate cooling, armor and ammo, it does not even have enough tonage and slots for 2 of the 3
on Smurfy I aim for a heat efficency of 40% or better, I can get away with 35%, but I would only consider as low as 18% on a fast (130kph+)striker, which is designed to hit hard then run fast, or am using completely seporate weapons groups, as in some guns for short range, other guns for long range

that build could maybe, if you are good enough, work as a dual role build, however if you plan on alpha striking you are going to suffer, set it to fire 3 srms each on 2 fire groups, and the PPCs on a third (or groups 3 and 4).
when the enemy is at mid to long range fire the PPCs only
when at short range fire 3 SRMs wait at least half a second, fire other 3 SRMs, if you fire all 6 together you will incure a heat penalty.
even using like that you will overheat inside 15 seconds

if you want 6 SRM6 then drop the PPCs and add in more ammo and heatsinks, something like this.

if you want PPCs and SRMs then prehaps something more like this

4 SRM6s + 2 ERPPC is a respectable loadout for the Timber Wolf which is 15 tons heavier.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll make sure to work in adjustments in the build. I might even try an assault.

And by the way, I think I'll try more heat sinks. It seems like that would work.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 11:56 AM

Some little tricks.

One, chain fire the SRMs. This actually plays a little better with the hit registration, too, and ensures you don't waste all the damage in one or two volleys (in case if you did miss).

ER PPCs generate a phenomenal amount of heat. Two of them generate enough heat that in the source material you'd basically hit critical heat and shutdown if the lore heat system worked exactly as the Mechwarrior games did. So there's your main heat issue. You can cease firing the ER PPCs when fighting in SRM range for a significantly cooler experience. You can alternate between firing the left and right ER PPCs
Spoiler

If your friend has heatsinks in the legs (if you can place any), your friend can go knee-deep into water and turn up to 2 double heatsinks into "quad" heatsinks, so to speak.

#5 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 03 November 2017 - 12:01 PM

If you truly want to run a SRM based brawler, try these two builds. One is a MDD and another is a Crow which would function better. You can swap to ERML's for better heat management.

MDD-A
or
SCR-PRIME

#6 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 03 November 2017 - 03:39 PM

Nothing you do will make that build managable. Have to drop most of the srms or ditch the ppcs.

6 ASRM6's is an awesome Mad Dog build if you've got the balls and brains to brawl.

Edited by Roughneck45, 03 November 2017 - 03:40 PM.

#7 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 04 November 2017 - 03:08 AM

View PostFeezou, on 03 November 2017 - 11:21 AM, said:

Thanks for the feedback. I'll make sure to work in adjustments in the build. I might even try an assault.

you are welcome, just bear in mind with an assualt you would be a lot slower

And by the way, I think I'll try more heat sinks. It seems like that would work.

the problem is if you want armor and ammo you do not have the tonage for heatsinks without dropping something.

for an SRM6 as the primary weapon I want 1.5 tons of ammo, as a secondary weapon I could settle for 1 ton, so you will probably want 6-9 tons of ammo, but with max armor 6 SRM6 and 2 ERPPC there were only 5 tons left, that is not enough ammo for the SRMs to last most of the match, if it was me I would drop to SRM4s, or drop to 4 SRM6 to allow for adiquate ammo, but it would still be too hot

if the PPCs are the main weapon and the SRMs are just for short range backup then put in fewer or smaller SRM racks and some heatsinks, if the PPCs are just for longer range put in some ER Mediums instead, with arms from the -b and the -h you can put on 6 ER Medium lasers, that weighs the same as 1 ERPPC but does12 points more damage per volly for the same heat, that does loose about half the range of the ERPPCs but the extra 6 tons allow you to put adiquate ammo on for your 36 SRM tubes and add a few extra heatsinks.

if it was me and I wanted an SRM Mad Dog with a bit of longer range punch I would do something more like this
it has 26 less firepower than your origional build but it can keep firing, if you use everything you will overheat in about 10 seconds,
If you just use the 4 ERML you can fire as fast as they cycle for almost 2 minutes, it is highly unlikely you would be able to manage to overheat from just the ERMLs,
Provided you fire 3, wait half a second before firing the other 3 you would have 30 seconds of firing the SRMs before overheating,
or you get 2 alpha strikes before overheating if needed

With your origional build you would alpha strike and overheat, or fire everything once (being sure to seporate the SRMs 3 and half a second later the other 3 to avoid "ghost heat" heat scale penalties) then have to wait about 20 seconds before firing again

#8 arcana75

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 04:08 AM

My MDD-A has 4xSRM6 and 2xSRM2, so there's no ghost heat with an SRM alphastrike. I also use 2xERLL than 2xERPPC, I find the heat quite manageable. If heat becomes too much, pop a coolshot or spam the 2xSRM2s.

#9 Feezou

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 08:10 PM

Hey everyone! I was actually able to modify my Mad Dog so it works so much better! Special thanks to Rouge Jedi. His first build that was displayed was the one I used. I ended up tweaking it a bit. I added 6 double heat sinks, and instead of ER-PPCs, ER Large Lasers. My friend loved it. He was able to take out a JagerMech, Wolfhound, Dire Wolf, and an Atlas! In another game, he destroyed a Hellbringer and a Night Gyr that were attacking him. Then he moved along and obliterated a Timberwolf and crippled a Stormcrow! He loved it!

I think I'm fine with this build, but I'll take any suggestions! Thank you all for replying to the thread. It's my first.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users