3 replies to this topic

#1 hogslammer

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 30 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 05 November 2017 - 04:15 AM

So i run dual laser ams, but other than the 2 ams skills, are there more that buff the speed, distances it can shoot?

Considering that Laser AMS is indeed a small pulse laser. You would think that Targeting computers, and laser range, cooldown, heat generation skills would buff Laser AMS?

Could someone explain how i can optimize my Laser AMS?

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 04:31 AM

I don't think beam duration would. (The beam is basically a particle effect and the damage ticker is identical to standard AMS. The game does not actually recognize it as a laser weapon.)

But heat generation is a generic skill towards all heat weapon-based heat sources and despite it being a defensive weapon, MWO still considered it to be a weapon. It is debatable and worth investigating.

Far as range, on a mech that you haven't skilled yet, check the range of Laser AMS.
Now unlock some basic range skill nodes. Now check the range of Laser AMS. If it improved then yes that works. If it does not, then no the range nodes do not work.

There really isn't anything else that I can think of.

Operations "Cool Run" and "Heat Containment" directly affect your heatsink capabilities, so while they don't affect the Laser AMS directly... Faster cooling by heatsinks and higher maximum heat permitted... do indirectly buff your Laser AMS's functionality and stamina (how much it can be used before it can't be due to heat.)

Edited by Koniving, 05 November 2017 - 04:33 AM.

#3 iofhua

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 04:55 AM

Is there a link to the changes? Did they reduce the heat generation?

Even with a buff to laser AMS I don't think I would use it again. I've had a mech overheat and shut down ONLY from laser AMS fire when I've been targeted by a LRM user that just wouldn't let up on the missiles. I'm saying I was hiding behind a wall, standing still, not firing my weapons, and the laser AMS took my heat from near 0 to 100%. I then shut down multiple times because they kept firing. My mech was useless.

The problem is when people use LRM's they don't take a single launcher. They know you're using AMS so the only way to counter that it to spam multiple launchers and overwhelm it so that's exactly what they do. Taking a laser AMS is a surefire way to overheat your mech.

Regular AMS and at least a ton of ammo, preferably more, is the best way to go. I have a light with a ton and a half, and I still run out sometimes.

Also I have a medium with mid-range weapons (LB20 and MRM's) and have a hard time because LRM spam will wipe me out before I can close and engage. I spend a lot of time hiding behind my team-mates each game because if I run out to fight, I get bombarded and die.

I'm thinking about making a LRM boat myself. If you can't beat them, join them after all.

In the future, everyone will use LRM's and it will be LRM online.

#4 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 07 November 2017 - 06:18 AM

ECM and ams counter LRM quite good... if you add speed they are screw ! You cannot soak all damage and be invulnerable with ams... but it help a lot.

View Postiofhua, on 07 November 2017 - 04:55 AM, said:

Also I have a medium with mid-range weapons (LB20 and MRM's) and have a hard time because LRM spam will wipe me out before I can close and engage.

If you have lb20 and mrm you are probably slow... find some player to drop with you to form a lance with some ams and ecm. Solo playing is russian roulette with slow build...they are situational a lot of times.

Edited by Damnedtroll, 07 November 2017 - 06:24 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users