Classic Battletech Questions

5 replies to this topic

#1 Nathan Bloodguard

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 165 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 01:04 PM

I am making this thread to help people who have questions about classic battletech the tabletop game. I don't know much and am hoping that someone who does know would kindly show up and help me and maybe a few others learn the game and how to play it.

To start I have a question about the TROs (Technical Read Outs). I have a bunch of them but can't figure out how to make it into the playing sheets. The thing that confuses me about it is the extra heat sinks that it says it has, as an example I will use the Crab 20. The crabs engine is large enough that it has all 10 of the free heat sinks in the engine, however it has 6 extra heat sinks. It doesn't tell me where these heat sinks are. How do I find out where they put it? Is there a certain pattern to it? Set locations? Or do I determine it at my discretion?

#2 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 06 November 2017 - 12:46 AM

View PostNathan Bloodguard, on 05 November 2017 - 01:04 PM, said:

To start I have a question about the TROs (Technical Read Outs). I have a bunch of them but can't figure out how to make it into the playing sheets. The thing that confuses me about it is the extra heat sinks that it says it has, as an example I will use the Crab 20. The crabs engine is large enough that it has all 10 of the free heat sinks in the engine, however it has 6 extra heat sinks. It doesn't tell me where these heat sinks are. How do I find out where they put it? Is there a certain pattern to it? Set locations? Or do I determine it at my discretion?

In general its your own discretion - how you place the heatsinks or jumpjets and ammunition if not listened otherwise
A good idea is to place single heatsinks in the legs or use them in the same way as in MWO for crit padding (although some mechs like the Hunchback - does not use heatsinks to hide the ammunition bins in the LT.

Heatsinks placement is only mentioned when you look at omni mechs

However you have 4 3Options - to have a legal record sheet (not that it matters much - because several "lore" record sheets are junk either. (Banshee, Thunderbolt just to mention some)

Edited by Karl Streiger, 06 November 2017 - 12:46 AM.

#3 Rekkon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 325 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:54 AM

The TROs were never really intended to be the primary source from which you played tabletop. There were record sheet packs (sold separately) for that. These days you can find pretty much all the "official" record sheet configurations online. I use MegaMek Lab.

For the CRB-20, it appears the default extra heat sink distribution is one in each side torso and two in each leg. You could also get this information from Smurfy's as MWO's stock configurations are translated from tabletop.

#4 Nathan Bloodguard

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 165 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:40 AM

Thanks for the info. I guess I will just start with the legs then put them in the side torsos with any of them that I make form the TROs. I might download some of those later.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 11:21 AM

View PostNathan Bloodguard, on 09 November 2017 - 12:40 AM, said:

Thanks for the info. I guess I will just start with the legs then put them in the side torsos with any of them that I make form the TROs. I might download some of those later.

If you want you can simply ask. Or you can download the "Mech Factory" on your Android/windows phone from the google playstore. Its free and the ads are tiny unintrusive banners that honestly I arely ever noticed. Select any mech, get the TRO info right there, swap to the next screen and you have all the statistical equipment stuff. Swap to the next and you have exactly where it is supposed to be according to the Master Unit List.

The only noteworthy error is in the Panther's specific arrangement, as the TROs specifically mention 3 single heatsinks in the right arm which are attached directly to the PPC... and yet there are none in the right arm. Beyond that it's been pretty accurate.

Your Crab for example...
The CRB -20 actually has 4 SHS in the legs and 1 per side torso. It isn't expressly said why this is, though there is mentiont hat heatsinks specifically jettison heat out of the back of the mech. This reduces its forward heat signature quite a bit, a necessary thing for the functionality of its enhanced sensor suite. Normally if there are heatsinks in the legs there'd be mention of some ability to utilize external sources to enhance its coolant similar to the Vindicator or the Scorpion, which both can suck in and pump out water to enhance the cooling process.

Posted Image

Sorry in the delay in sending it, I got wrapped up in watching Star Citizen vids.

#6 Rorik Thrumsalr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 27 November 2017 - 10:51 PM

Mech factory is amazing. I wholeheartedly recommend getting it and I had no qualms myself giving the guy that runs it a donation.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users