Target Info Sharing

78 replies to this topic

#1 ANOM O MECH

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 993 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:31 PM

We need the ability to toggle this feature on or off.

#2 Jay Leon Hart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:33 PM

Why would you not want to share target info?

Let me re-phrase...

What good reason is there not to share target info?

#3 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:34 PM

Let me guess. You hate LRMs.

#4 ANOM O MECH

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 993 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:38 PM

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 07 November 2017 - 12:33 PM, said:

Why would you not want to share target info?

Let me re-phrase...

What good reason is there not to share target info?

There are many reasons, good and bad.

Reasons aside, it should be something that the user/pilot should have choice over.

#5 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:40 PM

View Posttker 669, on 07 November 2017 - 12:38 PM, said:

Reasons aside, it should be something that the user/pilot should have choice over.

But why? Why should you be able to not share target info with your team, in a team game?

#6 ANOM O MECH

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 993 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:41 PM

View PostBrain Cancer, on 07 November 2017 - 12:34 PM, said:

Let me guess. You hate LRMs.

I don't hate them. Use them less than lasers but more than rac's or IS UAC.

However this shouldn't matter as it would be very unlikely for everyone on a team to turn it off all at once. It also would not interfere with LRM mechs to get their own locks.

#7 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:43 PM

There are many reasons, good and bad.

such as? youre argument isnt very convincing without REASONS.

they already do. they can choose not to press R.

so basically you want something changed, without stating any real reasons, and the one implied reason why you want it changed isnt really a good reason because you can just choose not to press R.

dont want to share targets with LRMs? dont press R. simple. I do it all the time because I hate LRMscumbags.

Edited by Khobai, 07 November 2017 - 12:47 PM.

#8 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:44 PM

Hmm. Why do I have this feeling the OP is intentionally refusing to answer the simple question being asked?

#9 ANOM O MECH

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 993 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:47 PM

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 07 November 2017 - 12:40 PM, said:

But why? Why should you be able to not share target info with your team, in a team game?

Well you could not share all kinds of things already. ECM, AMS, your weapons at any given moment, armour....and so on and so forth.

The why is not important, as that choice and it's reasons would be up to individuals to decide. Players should have that choice.

#10 Bilbo999

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:48 PM

View PostMystere, on 07 November 2017 - 12:44 PM, said:

Hmm. Why do I have this feeling the OP is intentionally refusing to answer the simple question being asked?

The only reason, that I can think of, not to share target info is that he wants to make it harder for teammates to kill whatever it is he is shooting. So... stats?

#11 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:50 PM

Well you could not share all kinds of things already. ECM, AMS, your weapons at any given moment, armour....and so on and so forth.

but why would you not want to share ECM or AMS?

that makes no sense. youre trying to use the argument that you dont have to share ECM or AMS, when you should ALWAYS be sharing them, as justification for why you shouldnt have to share sensor locks. That argument isnt helping your case.

unless you derive some sick satisfaction out of seeing your teammates get hit by LRMs (which I have to admit is funny) theres no benefit to not sharing those things.

same with sensor locks, the only reason not to share them, is to be vindictive against LRMboats that arnt on the frontlines sharing armor or getting their own locks.

Edited by Khobai, 07 November 2017 - 12:55 PM.

#12 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:51 PM

View Posttker 669, on 07 November 2017 - 12:47 PM, said:

The why is not important, as that choice and it's reasons would be up to individuals to decide. Players should have that choice.

You can also already not share targeting info, by not pressing the "R" key. What's your point?

If you want it to happen, PGI will be harder to convince than a bunch of players.

"Because I want it" is not a good enough reason to change it.

So, at the risk of repeating myself - why should you be able to choose not to share target info, with your team, in a team game?

#13 ANOM O MECH

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 993 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:54 PM

View PostKhobai, on 07 November 2017 - 12:43 PM, said:

such as? youre argument isnt very convincing without REASONS.

they already do. they can choose not to press R.

so basically you want something changed, without stating any real reasons, and the one implied reason why you want it changed isnt really a good reason because you can just choose not to press R.

dont want to share targets with LRMs? dont press R. simple. I do it all the time because I hate LRMscumbags.

Not pressing R means that you don't get the info. That is the nuance between not pressing R and being able to toggle info sharing off.

As far as reasons, my main one is choice and the freedom to choose.

Like any system (again AMS, ECM, Bay Doors) it makes sense that in our mech controls we have an off button. I want to have a toggle.

#14 James Argent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:56 PM

Why don't you just ask for a 'drop with 11 others' toggle?

#15 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:57 PM

View Posttker 669, on 07 November 2017 - 12:54 PM, said:

Not pressing R means that you don't get the info. That is the nuance between not pressing R and being able to toggle info sharing off.

As far as reasons, my main one is choice and the freedom to choose.

Like any system (again AMS, ECM, Bay Doors) it makes sense that in our mech controls we have an off button. I want to have a toggle.

Allow me to re-phrase the question you refuse to answer.

What are the benefits, if any, to toggling off target info sharing?

#16 ANOM O MECH

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 993 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:57 PM

View PostMystere, on 07 November 2017 - 12:44 PM, said:

Because the OP is absolutely refusing to answer questions that are not relevant and baiting. Not even remotely subtley or cleverly so. It seems that folks are immediately ready to turn this thread into a LRM debate thread.

Edited by tker 669, 07 November 2017 - 12:58 PM.

#17 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 01:00 PM

so asking you to give a reason for your argument is not relevant and baiting? lol

#18 James Argent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 01:09 PM

Then set us straight with your reason for your request. What do you hope to accomplish by keeping target information to yourself that cannot be accomplished by sharing target information?

'This makes me look bad' is not a legitimate reason to avoid explaining yourself. Because unless the real reason is actually worse, you're looking pretty bad already.

#19 SuperMCDad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 131 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 07 November 2017 - 01:10 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm fairly new here). If you turn off ECM, you don't get the benefit. If you turn off AMS, you don't get the benefit. If you don't press 'R', you don't get the benefit. I'm not following the logic. Also, the benefits don't help the rest of your team as well. In a team based game, where you are working together to defeat the enemy.

I'm confused by this request. Posted Image

#20 ANOM O MECH

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 993 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 01:18 PM

View PostKhobai, on 07 November 2017 - 12:50 PM, said:

but why would you not want to share ECM or AMS?

that makes no sense. youre trying to use the argument that you dont have to share ECM or AMS, when you should ALWAYS be sharing them, as justification for why you shouldnt have to share sensor locks. That argument isnt helping your case.

unless you derive some sick satisfaction out of seeing your teammates get hit by LRMs (which I have to admit is funny) theres no benefit to not sharing those things.

same with sensor locks, the only reason not to share them, is to be vindictive against LRMboats that arnt on the frontlines sharing armor or getting their own locks.

What doesn't make sense is the lack of choice.

It is also difficult to discuss or debate with someone who is trying to steer the discussion into a LRM conversation or stating what he feels people ALWAYS should be doing. Your feelings about what others should be doing or other control issues can be left outside.

As far as maybe your only arguement here that isn't an opinion or off topic is the issue of benefit. Someone else mentioned stats...could be a reason for some. Overall there are many situations that it would be good for stealth/sniping. A simple one is to avoid having a teammate inadvertently drive a player back into cover or move when you have a back shot open. Again there would be benefits to have it on or have it off.

It still circle back towards choice (and far away from lrm hate discussion which there are already lots) which we have many already and should have the control over what our mech is doing.

59 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 59 guests, 0 anonymous users