Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 05:00 PM

View PostAngel of Annihilation, on 09 March 2019 - 01:56 PM, said:

I second this.

Harmony Gold might have been told to screw themselves....

But Battlemaster's old art is actually owned by Nippon Sunrise which is owned by Bandai,aka the Gundam people.

That'd be like asking them to make the Commando look like
Spoiler

(Disclaimer, I know the Commando isn't unseen.)
Or the Shadowhawk to look like...
Spoiler

Or the Griffin
Spoiler

Or the Thunderbolt
Spoiler

Personally, I don't really care about the round head... But the scale might be nice.
Posted Image

Also wouldn't mind classic Wolverine..
Spoiler

Which sucks, because this BT art is awesome...
(As long as you don't look too close at its left arm...)

Spoilers added.

Edited by Koniving, 09 March 2019 - 05:02 PM.

#43 Albatrox

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 08:04 PM

Hmm interesting.
I have a dragon and i like the way it looks now btw. I dont like that rifleman style arm. But it might be more effective. I think different variants could have differing arms and so forth. That would make alot of sense to me

#44 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 11:09 PM

View PostAlbatrox, on 09 March 2019 - 08:04 PM, said:

Hmm interesting.
I have a dragon and i like the way it looks now btw. I dont like that rifleman style arm. But it might be more effective. I think different variants could have differing arms and so forth. That would make alot of sense to me

Well, there's a "Grand Dragon" where the only real difference...
is the ARM.

Dragons: DRG 1C and 1N
Ballistic in right arm, laser in left arm and LST (left side torso), missile in CT.

Grand Dragon: DRG-1G,
Right arm PPC (WITHOUT A FULL ARM), energy in left arm, energy in right torso (front and back).

Grand Dragon: DRG-5K (and all sequential Grand Dragons)
Full arm.

Dragon: DRG 5N
"The 5N variant of the Dragon was used as a bridge between it and the Grand Dragon."
Carries an ultra AC/5...loses a laser.

Although the 1G is technically a regular Dragon, its considered the first "Grand Dragon".

Visually, a Grand Dragon has a different pelvis-and-hip assembly in addition to the full right arm (with the exception of the 1G).

The practical differences:
  • Dragons have 250 degree torso twist, Grand Dragons have 300 (Technical Readout 3050 Upgrade, page 66).
  • Grand Dragons have a full arm (except the 1G which is technically just a Dragon). Dragons do not.
  • Grand Dragons have higher engine caps, as the native speed (with 1G as the exception) is 97 as opposed to 86 [or MWO's 81]
  • Grand Dragons have a MASC variant. But aside from this, all Grand Dragons are energy/missile only while regular Dragons sport all 3 weapon classes.
All Dragons, standard and grand, go by the designation DRG.

A remodel/correction in the Dragons could see the Grand Dragons as an expansion of the original Dragons, and the "Flame" as a base idea of how to do an energy only right arm. (So basically relatively little work). Remove the right lower arm actuator from Dragons, and we'd have....AC/20 carrying Dragons. :)

Side note the story of "it has a lower arm actuator and not a hand actuator" people once spread actually doesn't add up.
The TROs are open, no mention of which actuators it has or doesn't have...

#45 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 11:13 PM

Since the 5N is the most popular variant (I'm assuming, mind you), it can keep the full arm to appease the crybabies that throw fits when **** changes, as its also the most lore appropriate one to be given a full arm. But the rest, gotta chop them arms and expand those options; can you say AC/20? Flame was made popular by being an AC/20 totting Dragon with good laser firepower. Welp now others can do it without good laser firepower... And of course with the Grand Dragons we'll be able to tot about good laser firepower.

Seems like an overall win to me.

#46 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 12:36 AM

Updated earlier post to include:

View PostKoniving, on 09 March 2019 - 11:34 AM, said:

Further note:
Record sheet 3025/26 and Volume 3 both provide the screw up, and both Dragon and Grand Dragon are shown as identical.

Record Sheet 3050, made later, fixed it....and botched it again. Both Dragon and Grand Dragon got the hand actuator added for the left hand. Standard Dragon also got a left hand...along with the lower arm actuator, but it is worth noting that this is the 5N...which is the "bridge" between the two, where it makes sense that it got a lower arm actuator as noted in my followup.

Dragon (mistake)
Grand Dragon (Mistake) (1G is a derivative of a regular Dragon with a PPC instead of AC.)
Dragon (corrected, "Bridge variant" 5N)
Grand Dragon (Correct)

Also, we know the later update is correct, both in being later...as well as in the original entry:

"Given its speed and mass, it is not uncommon to see Dragons rushing to close range and making devastating charges or other physical attacks. Although the bulk of their weaponry is designed for ranged attacks, the Dragon is a deadly in-fighter when grappling with a foe."

In order to grapple within Battletech rules, you must have at least one hand actuator.

Edited by Koniving, 10 March 2019 - 12:47 AM.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users