4 replies to this topic

#1 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 08:12 AM

Good day everyone. Thought this might help out all of you and not just newer players so I am sharing it here.

Although this was originally about light coordination, this works with coordinating any team.

View PostKoniving, on 11 November 2017 - 07:39 AM, said:

If you are having trouble with Light coordination, here's a tip.

Yesterday I played a few matches as a Turtlemando (Commando with turtle armor.)
The first one, I noticed after someone recognized my name, they all kinda followed me. So I took command in text (my computer is on top of a tall bookshelf to keep it out of my toddler's hands and my headset doesn't reach; I need a wireless headset). I gave the following orders in exactly this form into lance chat.

Attack spotted on Affirm.
Legs.
(Spots target.)
(No one moved in but kept with me.)
(We waited, I respotted two or three times while confirming the assault was isolated).
(Gave the Affirmative).

The entire lance moved in and we began hitting the legs, running in circles and whenever possible one or more of us would slow down to deliver a hefty payload before he turned to face us and then we'd run while another took their turn, on and on until it's dead.

At least that was the plan. And we did kill him. But as we were doing it the Dire Wolf had called for help. A stalker answered. We could handle that so we pressed it. But then two mediums and a light answered. I gave the following command in chat.

Pull out.

One light followed me. I gave the command again, this time with a Command Wheel "Negative" to get attention and followed with "Too many." Me and the guy following me went back into that fray and we were able to get a second guy out. Now three of us, we got out of enemy fire and waited. The last guy did not follow and is still fighting for his life. We tried two more times for a total of five times issuing the order to "Pull out" "Stop Fighting" "Too dangerous" and a third attempt to rush in, rescue him and give him a chance to run. At that point we cut our losses and ran and began swarming other enemies closer to the front line to provide support to our heavier lances that were in heavy combat.

That light soon died and said "Thanks for abandoning me, some team" and quit before we could say that we tried to save him three times.

In the ext match I began with "Can my lance read this?" Got two answers. "Mind if I take charge?" Response was "Go ahead" and "I'll follow."

The match after I asked "Can my lance read this?" No answer. So I asked in team chat, "Can my lance read this?" Got more answers than I had in my lance, but my whole lance answered. So I commanded the lance from team chat that time.

I have two points to this. One, if you take command, regardless of whether people recognize you or not, some players will go along with it if you seem to have a plan. Coordinate as best as you can.
The second point is no matter how hard you try, some people either won't go along with it, won't clue in, or are too busy to see or hear your instructions. Don't let it get to you, sometimes stuff happens.

So whether you take charge or someone in your team takes charge, go along with it. Sometimes just asking something like "Someone want to take charge?" or "Mind if I lead our lance?" will go a long way. Just don't start with "Plan?" if you want someone else to lead as you'll get the joke answer "Kill stuff."

Good luck out there. Feel free to share your own stories. Lets try to get the "Teamwork" back into MWO.

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 11 November 2017 - 08:30 AM

Alas, I still haven't mastered the command wheel beyond "enemy spotted". I try to type general strat out early on. Works well on certain maps/modes than others. For example, on Canyon Assault:

Posted Image

Result:

Posted Image

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 08:39 AM

I find keeping chat simple will go a long way. Maybe some pre planning but definitely keep in action chat as simple as possible.

Short commands, no more than 4 words. They need to be able to see, read, and understand in the middle of a fight.

Example: Stay left. No middle.
Form firing line here.
Wait for them.
Fire on spotted.

#4 Shifty McSwift

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 06:23 PM

View PostKoniving, on 11 November 2017 - 08:39 AM, said:

I find keeping chat simple will go a long way. Maybe some pre planning but definitely keep in action chat as simple as possible.

Short commands, no more than 4 words. They need to be able to see, read, and understand in the middle of a fight.

Form firing line here.
Wait for them.
Fire on spotted.

View PostKoniving, on 11 November 2017 - 08:39 AM, said:

Form firing line here.
Wait for them.
Fire on spotted.

-Targets in E4
-At least 4 near g6
-enemies pushing left

Etc etc.

Unlike one game where we had a "leader" who took 40 seconds to explain a simple location move because he also had to complain about something, or the guy holding up comms by being hugely indecisive in what he wants to say "Uhm, I think I might see.. Wait yeah enemies in e4, let me have a look, yeah there's 2 enemies over there guys so be careful, wait they are moving now hold on let me get a better position, wait why Isn't anyone talking, oh look they are moving again, give me a second I will check, hey guys, do you think I should follow..."

#5 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,994 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 11 November 2017 - 06:53 PM

I hated the guy that after I took command spammed "negative" the whole match

when I asked if he wanted to take command he said no (what a jerk--don't be a jerk)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users